What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loan deals in the NRL

super_coach

First Grade
If the NRL are two thick to approve the loan between the Storm and the Tigers, both club should release the players, they than sign one year deals with the other club and than sign deals for 2021 season and beyond with their original clubs. Any shortfall in money can be made up for in the 2021 contracts.

T-Boon

Coach
If the NRL are two thick to approve the loan between the Storm and the Tigers, both club should release the players, they than sign one year deals with the other club and than sign deals for 2021 season and beyond with their original clubs. Any shortfall in money can be made up for in the 2021 contracts.

You would think the RLPA would argue in favour of that. Why should a club be able to control a player in this way.
"Go live in Melbourne for a year but then regardless of how you feel about it, we can bring you back a year from now".

Bring in a draft, trade and free agency like the NFL.

super_coach

First Grade
Anyway Toddy is way to busy working out his travel expense claim from his US junket to make a call on a loan transfer system. My guess he will need to do a fact finding trip to Europe, UK and the states before making a call

Travitoh

First Grade
Has anyone actually put forward a genuine reason why loan swaps shouldn't be allowed?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Anyway Toddy is way to busy working out his travel expense claim from his US junket to make a call on a loan transfer system. My guess he will need to do a fact finding trip to Europe, UK and the states before making a call
Has anyone actually put forward a genuine reason why loan swaps shouldn't be allowed?

because 2 clubs who have mismanaged their roster can rort the cap to benefit each other
Of course it mutually beneficial to 2 clubs but not the other 14

Travitoh

First Grade
because 2 clubs who have mismanaged their roster can rort the cap to benefit each other

Dross.
How is it rorting the cap?

There's nothing stopping the other 14 clubs from enquiring about doing similar.
It'll actually be a move towards a more even comp.

super_coach

First Grade

What a total load of crap, nothing about mismanaged cap, it’s about clubs having a surplus of players in one position and short in another. The loan system seems to have worked for decade in a lot of other sports, but hey, let’s stay in the dark ages. Also most clubs don’t have the NRL CEO lying in their bed like your mob

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
What a total load of crap, nothing about mismanaged cap, it’s about clubs having a surplus of players in one position and short in another. The loan system seems to have worked for decade in a lot of other sports, but hey, let’s stay in the dark ages. Also most clubs don’t have the NRL CEO lying in their bed like your mob

First of all. You clearly aren’t thinking straight if your response is aimed at slagging my team. At least I’m glad you know who they are.
Who do you support?

2ndly. Go back and read what I actually said and not you want me to say.
Then come back and we can discuss it like grown ups:joy_cat:

Stinky

Juniors
First of all. You clearly aren’t thinking straight if your response is aimed at slagging my team. At least I’m glad you know who they are.
Who do you support?

2ndly. Go back and read what I actually said and not you want me to say.
Then come back and we can discuss it like grown ups:joy_cat:
You’re a dumb merkin.

mave

Coach

Because like everything else Toddy touches, he will be wildly inconsistent with what clubs are allowed to do these loan deals, and what clubs are not.

It will be just another mechanism to favour the glamour clubs.

Travitoh

First Grade
Because like everything else Toddy touches, he will be wildly inconsistent with what clubs are allowed to do these loan deals, and what clubs are not.

It will be just another mechanism to favour the glamour clubs.

As long as both clubs remain salary cap compliant, why would the NRL get involved?

Loan deals will actually benefit the NRL and small market clubs in levelling recruitment opportunities.

flippikat

Bench
Bring in a draft, trade and free agency like the NFL.

A draft won't work, because any player could easily go to Superleague (or Rugby Union at a pinch) if they wanna choose their own destination & potentially earn similar money to the NRL.

That's not the case in NFL or AFL, where there's no comparable league where young players can take their skills to play the same game for similar money.. so a draft has teeth ("if you don't like it, good luck finding another similar-paying league")

Tiger5150

Bench
Dross.
How is it rorting the cap?

There's nothing stopping the other 14 clubs from enquiring about doing similar.
It'll actually be a move towards a more even comp.

Easy to possibly rort the cap with this swap system. In the current scenario, lets assume that the Storm are $50K under the cap and the Tigers are $650K under the cap. If Momorovski is geting paid $100K more than Grant then this will effectively push Storm over the cap with their roster for 2020. I think this may be the issue for the swap.

As far as ongoing rorting is concerned, lets hypothetical say a team called the Hamsters recently signed the most expensive KFC eater and plus sized model in the NRL. This clearly causes cap issues for the Hamsters as they only sign him for 1 year plus a year in the Hamsters favour. Obviously they have cap issues potentially for 2021 so again hypothetically they swap a player called D my friend Dane for a player like Jordan Rankin and Voila! No cap issues for 2021. The Hamsters have a year to get their cap issues sorted of move another player on.

betcats

Referee
Easy to possibly rort the cap with this swap system. In the current scenario, lets assume that the Storm are $50K under the cap and the Tigers are $650K under the cap. If Momorovski is geting paid $100K more than Grant then this will effectively push Storm over the cap with their roster for 2020. I think this may be the issue for the swap.

As far as ongoing rorting is concerned, lets hypothetical say a team called the Hamsters recently signed the most expensive KFC eater and plus sized model in the NRL. This clearly causes cap issues for the Hamsters as they only sign him for 1 year plus a year in the Hamsters favour. Obviously they have cap issues potentially for 2021 so again hypothetically they swap a player called D my friend Dane for a player like Jordan Rankin and Voila! No cap issues for 2021. The Hamsters have a year to get their cap issues sorted of move another player on.

Anything that simple is easy to spot and prevent. If a swap deal will put a club over the cap then they can refuse it. Done correctly it can work and it can benefit clubs and players.

Tiger5150

Bench
Anything that simple is easy to spot and prevent. If a swap deal will put a club over the cap then they can refuse it. Done correctly it can work and it can benefit clubs and players.

Of course, and I agree, but I think that this is the hold up on this one

super_coach

First Grade

Although it is at present legal to release a player to another club but maintain some of the players value on your cap. Like the Tigers signed Moses M and the dogs are or were still paying some of the freight.

So what’s the difference in a loan deal?..

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
We’ll just have to wait till the nrl’s ruling as I’m sure the reasons either way will be explained. it just seems very rortable to me and rules will need to be in place that can’t me manipulated with legal mumbo jumbo

anyways, it looks like Addo Carr will be swapped with Corey Denniss for Souths so now it’s sounds like a good idea:sunglasses: