What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Super League

JFK Files

Juniors
It’s a slow forward pack with no tackle busters at the moment anyway until they get Bullock, a fully fit George Burgess and even Greenwood on the edges

adamkungl

Immortal
French isn't being involved enough in set plays to move Hardaker IMO. Joe Burgess has had a slow start to the season as well, so personally I'd put French on the wing until Manfredi is at full fitness then have French & Hankinson compete for the centre spot.

French was their best player in week 1 in a stand-off/five-eighth kind of role (not sure if he actually was in that position).
I think that's the way forward for them. Hardaker is just a waste at centre.

deluded pom?

Coach
Hull derby was good. Another big crowd and another high quality game.
HKR really stood up to their more fancied opposition and all looked to be going against the script until Ellis hit the posts and Hull FC scored up the other end.
Also an early nomination for try of the season from KR. Highlights well worth a watch.

3 - Sneyd with another polished performance. His ability to take every opportunity that comes is ultimately the difference here while his opposites were too hit and miss.
2 - Griffin. Big game. A few linebreaks down the left edge, big strong and fast.
1 - Kenny-Dowall. Liked his contributions. High involvement and dangerous both running and passing. Had 2 or 3 touches in their highlight try.
I thought Ligi Sao had a great game. He seemed to be involved in everything when he was on the pitch. Things might also have changed had Livett’s try not been given, I’m not convinced he got the ball down.

JFK Files

Juniors
On what I’ve seen so far this year the footy has been great and teams are at least trying to play attractive RL.
This has been reflected with some decent crowds & atmosphere.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I thought Ligi Sao had a great game. He seemed to be involved in everything when he was on the pitch. Things might also have changed had Livett’s try not been given, I’m not convinced he got the ball down.

Ligi Sao's late hit gave the Robin's a lot of momentum after Crooke's try but the next penalty where the kick was missed turned it right around for FC and they never looked back, Sliding Doors stuff.

TDD91

Juniors
It’s a slow forward pack with no tackle busters at the moment anyway until they get Bullock, a fully fit George Burgess and even Greenwood on the edges

Bullock & Greenwood are both fit, just not being selected for whatever reason.

TDD91

Juniors
Both Super League games for today are cancelled due to Storm Ciara. 60+ mph winds aren't the greatest conditions.

adamkungl

Immortal
Unfortunate that now mid-week games will need to be slotted into an already too-long calendar.
My fear is the positive start to the season will eventually be forgotten as the long year drags on and is compounded by bad weather luck and silly scheduling decisions

TDD91

Juniors
Unfortunate that now mid-week games will need to be slotted into an already too-long calendar.
My fear is the positive start to the season will eventually be forgotten as the long year drags on and is compounded by bad weather luck and silly scheduling decisions

Wakefield are trying to get it played tomorrow, but have admitted themselves that it's unlikely. Catalans already have 1 midweek fixture due to the WCC, expect it to get played on a cup weekend if/when both teams are eliminated.

Springs09

Juniors

The majority of the Super League season feels like the NRL during Origin, with teams having half their side out more often than not and a lot of games people don't really seem to care about.

adamkungl

Immortal
Season should not start until March, no GF, have the C Cup Final as last domestic match of the season at Wembley on last Saturday of September.

English fans might appreciate playoffs if there weren't 40-odd games leading into them and no loop fixtures.
While English sporting tradition is usually first-past-the-post, it's worth noting that football has the Euro League slots to keep the top-to-middle of the table interesting when the league leaders are running away with it, while Rugby League has no such thing available.

I'd propose a format of:

Time: March to October, 33 weekends total.
Teams: 12
Premiership matches: 22, one each home and away (22 weeks) + finals (4 weeks)
Challenge Cup: as is now, (5 weeks, final in July). Challenge Cup rounds standalone with no premiership games
Magic Weekend changed to a 9s tournament, stay in May.
International Rep weekend 1 week in June.
Internationals period in October-November.
NO pre-season friendlies in December and January - players and clubs need a proper offseason to refresh.

This would improve the quality of the comp so much. Forget the clubs whining about ticket sales, they should be able to sell more tickets with higher quality. If they can't, well maybe professional rugby isn't for them.
This would also improve England's chances of beating Aus. Less player fatigue, more opportunities for warm-up tests before Australia come to town or England fly out.

Latest posts