What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons NRL Nines 2020 draw revealed

getsmarty

Immortal
kellyi-88.jpeg

NINES

Dragons coup: Kelly joins star-studded Nines squad
Author
Alicia Newton & Brad Walter
Timestamp
Fri 31 Jan 2020, 12:01 PM

Jillaroos superstar Isabelle Kelly is on the move in 2020 after signing with St George Illawarra for the upcoming NRL Nines in February.

Kelly, who recently married partner Jake Callister, will join a star-studded Dragons outfit for the two-day tournament in Perth, while her long-term future with Sydney Roosters now appears uncertain after two seasons with the club in the Holden Women's Premiership.

The addition of Kelly and inaugural St George Illawarra captain Sam Bremner headlines a strong squad named by the 2019 NRLW runners-up, which includes Golden Boot winner Jessica Sergis and fellow NSW stars Kezie Apps, Maddie Studdon and Shakiah Tungai.

Kelly, Bremner and Illawarra product Kaarla Cowan are the only other members of the 16-player squad who did not feature in St George Illawarra's grand final team.

Bremner, who is returning after missing the entire women's calendar in 2019 following the birth of her first child, Reef, in August, said she was looking forward to playing alongside Kelly – the 2018 Golden Boot winner as the world's best female player.

"Isabelle, myself, Kezie and Maddie have played together a fair bit and we are all really good friends so it is going to be great to have her in our team for the Nines," Bremner said. "Nines is her forte so it is going to be exciting to play with her in Perth."

bremner-s--180909_jo_1-1-1.jpg

Sam Bremner takes on the Brisbane defence. :copyright:Jason O'Brien/NRL Photos
The Dragons squad had their first training session for the Nines under coach Daniel Lacey last Saturday and Apps said Kelly had immediately fitted in with her new team.

"It's a very big positive for our team, she is a beautiful person and a fantastic athlete so I am very happy that she is at the Dragons," Apps said.

"I feel like the people around her will help to bring the best out in her, hopefully she has fun and it translates into her footy as well.

"I have been speaking a little bit to her about it before she did sign and Lacey has obviously done a really good job so I feel she will be comfortable with the girls that we do have in our team.

"There are a lot of girls in our team who she has played with, we have that connection and that friendship so that has probably helped a little bit for her to come across.

"She had a really good relationship with all the girls at the Roosters too but sometimes a change is good and we'll see how she goes."

Lacey said the signing of Kelly was a coup for the Dragons and he hoped she would now stick with the Red V for this year's NRLW campaign.

"Isabelle was on the top of our list to come to the club for the first NRLW season, and I never gave up hope of her becoming a Dragon one day," Lacey said.

"It speaks volumes for what we're doing as a club for her to want to jump ship and get an insight into how we operate.

"She's only committed to the Nines for now but hopefully we can sit down at some stage and look at her future with the Dragons."

With Kelly and Sergis in the centres, Bremner sharing the fullback role with Botille Davis-Welsh, and Shakiah Tungai, Studdon and Keely Davis also in a potent backline, the Dragons will have plenty of strike power at the NRL Nines.

"We've got quite a good side so it is pretty exciting and it will be fun too," Bremner said. "It is such a great way to start the season so I am excited that this is my first game back. I love the Nines, it is just a bit of fun to start my career off again."

Cowan is the only member of the squad without NRLW experience but she has previously represented the NSW City team at the National Championships as well as the Prime Minister's XiII team in Papua New Guinea.

w_nrl9s_team-list_dragons_1080x1350.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/31/dragons-coup-kelly-joins-star-studded-nines-squad/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I know it doesn't play a huge role in the season but this is the side id pick in the 9s. I don't know about the whole squad but would just be the starting side. Im not sure if all the players have to be from the top squad or not but if not id go.
1. Dufty (perfect for this form of the game)
2. Ramsey (See if he's worth adding to the top squad
3.Wiliame (No brainer, he played there for Fiji, want to see how he goes)
4. Sailor (Can pass the ball)
5. Saab (Would love to see him in open space, the more games the better)
6.Ford (I wouldn't play a 5/8 Id use 6 and 8 as running forwards)
7.Sullivan(Lone playmaker at 7, could link up with Sailor on occasion just like inside centre in Rugby. He is suited to 9s)
8. Fuimaono(Both he and Ford can play in the backs or forwards, very handy for our season. I want to save Friz and see how he goes.)
9.Hunt (Hunt is confirmed id play him at 9 for the 9s, McInnes is coming off an injury id use Luke off the bench)

Obviously this team won't be picked but I think its a good combo of getting a look at a few new and fringe players, saving our veterans and still having an exciting team that would be good to watch. As I have mentioned I don't know the rules in terms of if they have to be in the squad but im pretty sure Kurt Gidley isn't in the Knights squad.

Old Timer

Coach
If not mistaken I think we have won 1 game of names and in amongst that didn't someone important get badly injured?
I think that is testimony to the type of side we will pick.
I actually hope Mc Fookknuckle suits up for it.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If not mistaken I think we have won 1 game of names and in amongst that didn't someone important get badly injured?
I think that is testimony to the type of side we will pick.
I actually hope Mc Fookknuckle suits up for it.
Yeah that's why I wouldn't pick too many first graders besides ones we want a look at. I cant speak for everyone but I personally would love to have a look at some of the new guys and young blokes.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I know it doesn't play a huge role in the season but this is the side id pick in the 9s. I don't know about the whole squad but would just be the starting side. Im not sure if all the players have to be from the top squad or not but if not id go.
7.Sullivan(Lone playmaker at 7, could link up with Sailor on occasion just like inside centre in Rugby. He is suited to 9s)
8. Fuimaono(Both he and Ford can play in the backs or forwards, very handy for our season. I want to save Friz and see how he goes.)
9.Hunt (Hunt is confirmed id play him at 9 for the 9s, McInnes is coming off an injury id use Luke off the bench)

Obviously this team won't be picked but I think its a good combo of getting a look at a few new and fringe players, saving our veterans and still having an exciting team that would be good to watch. As I have mentioned I don't know the rules in terms of if they have to be in the squad but im pretty sure Kurt Gidley isn't in the Knights squad.

Nice squad but Ramsey can not be picked.

BennyV

Referee

Need more forwards than just Ford mate. Otherwise they’ll get punished whenever the opposition has the ball.

Friz is made for 9s. Vaughan also worth a run, and possibly Blacker and Kerr.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Need more forwards than just Ford mate. Otherwise they’ll get punished whenever the opposition has the ball.

Friz is made for 9s. Vaughan also worth a run, and possibly Blacker and Kerr.
In the squad id have forwards but id save Friz. Its a long season for him, Blacker is definitely worth a crack. Most teams only play one, maybe two forwards at a time max. Fuimaono was signed as a forward, keen to see how he goes. I don't care if we win I just want to see some players I haven't seen much of get a run.

BIG RIG

Juniors
1.Dufty
2.Sailor
3.Ford
4.Saab
5.Frizell
6.Sullivan
7.Williame
8.Fuimaono
9.Hunt
10.Issac Luke
11.Merrin
12.Periera
13.Ravalawa
14.Korbin Sims
15.Lafai
16.Aitken
17.Clune
18.Wendell Sailor

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I reckon Ravalawa is a certainty be named. Didn’t he play for the Fijian national rugby 7s side a few years ago?

About the tournament, is it true SGI only has two confirmed games (Sharks and I think Parramatta)? I had been thinking of going over to Perth, but am reluctant to fork out $1200-$1300 if the squad is only playing a brace of games (excluding finals should the team qualify).

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I reckon Ravalawa is a certainty be named. Didn’t he play for the Fijian national rugby 7s side a few years ago?

About the tournament, is it true SGI only has two confirmed games (Sharks and I think Parramatta)? I had been thinking of going over to Perth, but am reluctant to fork out $1200-$1300 if the squad is only playing a brace of games (excluding finals should the team qualify).
Yeah I forgot about Rava he will be there. I’m considering it myself.

BennyV

Referee
In the squad id have forwards but id save Friz. Its a long season for him, Blacker is definitely worth a crack. Most teams only play one, maybe two forwards at a time max. Fuimaono was signed as a forward, keen to see how he goes. I don't care if we win I just want to see some players I haven't seen much of get a run.
Most teams run with 2 forwards minimum, plus 1 edge. I think Fuimano is pure centre.

Also Merrin is worth sending.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Most teams run with 2 forwards minimum, plus 1 edge. I think Fuimano is pure centre.

Also Merrin is worth sending.
I was just naming the starting team not the bench. And most teams don’t run with 3 forwards. Not starting, most teams have 7 backs, a hooker and one forward. This is Australia’s WC winning side. Two forwards starting, one of who played 5/8 and one on the bench. Australia were lucky they had Graham who can play 5/8.
https://www.nrl.com/draw/rugby-league-world-cup-9s/2019/final/game-1/

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons Women's Team was announced over a week ago while McGregor names one retired player. Fifteen players Re still to be named. I would select the following players:-
Ford
Frizell
Fuimaono
Host
Hunt
Kerr
Lomax
Lovodua
Mc Innes
Norman
Nightingale
Ravalawa
Saab
Sailor
Tariq Sims
Vaughan
Williame

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The Dragons Women's Team was announced over a week ago while McGregor names one retired player. Fifteen players Re still to be named. I would select the following players:-
Ford
Frizell
Fuimaono
Host
Hunt
Kerr
Lomax
Lovodua
Mc Innes
Norman
Nightingale
Ravalawa
Saab
Sailor
Tariq Sims
Vaughan
Williame
Good squad, would you like to see a squad picked to win it or more as a trial to test out some fringe players? Personally I don’t want to risk injury especially of forward seeing as though it doesn’t look good for JDB.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Forbes Creek Dragon I believe that with sixteen players, any players getting niggling injuries could be withdrawn. This side is attacking and should be a joy to watch. Especially with De Belin unavailable and Widdop departed a good performance in the Nine would buoy everyone's spirits. Perhaps a refreshing change!
I made a mistake so add Dufty and delete Kerr and Host.

Latest posts