What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Charity Shield

BLM01

First Grade
QUOTE="Crush, post: 13987878, member: 47198"]I agree. The thing I find really frustrating as a fan is when your team scores a length of the field try that goes through 10 sets of hands and instead of celebrating when the ball gets put down for a try you have this uneasy feeling that they will take it off you. Then you wait 5 minutes biting your nails whilst they look for any reason to disallow the try. It messes with the flow of the game.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Referees are coached and /or too scared too make a decision on the run when leads to try...just in case. Kills any moment. 4 sets or should be 3 sets of eyes only still cant get it right because they worrying too much about coaching the wrestle (ooops the ruck and tackle) and not penalising quickly and earlier in games when and what they should be doing. Called stamping yur authority or getting control of the game something that has been educated out of them

BLM01

First Grade
So what's everyone's thoughts on the captains challenge ?
Dont like it because will succesfully challenge all the time cause refs cant get it right on the run much anymore and the people who know in most cases the truth "the on field players" will get their challenges right and it will keep going on.
I want to know can they challenge a bunker decision?
But anyway I am over the long waited challenge or decision review in most sports. Dont have refs then.

kit66

Bench
View attachment 35920
Our grand final team had a lot of Illawarra /south coast players. Probably came through the Steelers ranks. Off the top of my head, coops is Shellharbour, same with merrin, prior is Thirroul, weyman is south coast, Ben creagh was a gong boy, dean young was dapto, ben Hornby corrimal, Morris gerringong, All Illawarra/south coast boys.

Is that kid in the middle , back row Tristan Sailor ?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
So what's everyone's thoughts on the captains challenge ?

Part of me is annoyed at the lengthy stoppages as the Bunker people use their slide rules to work out whether someone touched down while 90% of their body was outside the field of play, but I have to confess part of me is also excited at seeing something that happened in a blur-in slow motion.- and reliving that excitement.

Yes- there needs to be a limit on this and some bunker people are taking the replays to ridiculous levels- perhaps we need a 30 second siren that goes off if continuous replays aren't clarifying the onfield decision- in which case the onfield call remains the same.

I'm afraid the tech genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back completely. Two of our biggest spectator sports- Cricket and Tennis- have invested in it heavily to get the howler out of the game so fans are being conditioned to it by other sports.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My take on this:

X teams defensive line being hammered. Captain gives nod and 1 player goes offside, ref blows penalty. Captain challenges the off-side ruling, knowing hes wrong but gives (a) defensive line time to reset, and (b) gives his defenders a breather.

Besides a strip penalty, I cant see any other time to use it other than what I said above.

Waste of time.......literally!!!!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Possibly so..

But what do St George have to show for the same time period?

If you’re referring to same amount of time between entering the NSWRFL and winning a maiden first grade premiership, Saints achieved it in its 20th year (1941). Conversely, the Illawarra Steelers did not win a identical title even in a longer timeframe.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I saw loads of fellow Saints forummers there. Yourself included Como. And I believe Muzby was there too.

There were even some Easts and Souths supporters from the forums there.

Celebrations afterwards at Jubilee. Had drinks and lunch at the Marlborough Hotel in Newtown the next day.

One big family.

Como Connection

First Grade
I saw loads of fellow Saints forummers there. Yourself included Como. And I believe Muzby was there too.

There were even some Easts and Souths supporters from the forums there.

Celebrations afterwards at Jubilee. Had drinks and lunch at the Marlborough Hotel in Newtown the next day.

One big family.
Willo, I'm coming up for the August Titians game so we'll meet again at that pub in Robina.
CC

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes, so happy.
Well, apart from the miserable onfield showing thanks to inept coaching and self serving management and the diabolical situation that allowed for a Cronulla 'home' game at Kogarah and the stress of all things that I call a pain in the neck... yes, apart from all that, very happy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This year I'm driving down from Qld to be there, haven't had a driving holiday for a few years so looking forward it. I believe it's about a 9 or 10 hours there... broken up by stopovers somewhere.

Booked the accommodation months ago so we could be in town and walking distance to the pub. Also a short walk to the bus that'll take us to the game.

Mudgee made us feel very welcomed last year. Loads of fellow Saints supporters were there and loads of us travelled a fair way.

Hope the team puts in an effort this time.