What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons NRL Nines 2020 draw revealed

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc04489.jpg

NINES

Nightingale to end career on own terms at Perth Nines
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sun 9 Feb 2020, 07:00 AM

St George Illawarra legend Jason Nightingale will run out for the Dragons one last time at the Perth NRL Nines on February 14 and 15 at HBF Stadium.

Nightingale etched his place as a St George Illawarra fan favourite throughout his 12-year career at the Red V, and is looking forward to one last hurrah as a Dragon.

No stranger to the concept, Nightingale will kit up for his third Nines tournament with the Dragons under coach Paul McGregor.

The now 33-year-old produced the third most games and equal-sixth most tries in the history of the Dragons, Steelers and St George Illawarra throughout his illustrious career.

The man affectionately known as 'Gypsy' will look to end his career on his own terms after a dislocated elbow prevented him from featuring in the Dragons' run to the semi-finals prior to his retirement at the end of 2018.

"It's going to be nice to finish my career on my terms, and not with an injury... although I still have to get through the tournament first," Nightingale laughed.

"I haven't done anything competitive for 18 months so it has been exciting to have a purpose to training and an excuse to hang around footballers again.

"It's going to be free-flowing affair with a carnival atmosphere and a great opportunity to not only wheel out the old fellas but also to blood some new, young talent.

"That's why I feel grateful to be a part of this Nines, to receive an opportunity to play with these players who in the coming years will be where they're destined to be in first grade."

The Dragons will formally announce the remainder of their Nines squad in the coming days.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/02/09/nightingale-to-end-career-on-own-terms-in-perth/

getsmarty

Immortal
Just a quick heads up...I have asked the mods to merge this thread with the other Nines thread that was started in Dec.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Nines 2020: St George Illawarra legend Jason Nightingale to return for NRL Nines

$
:copyright: Provided by Sporting News
Retired St George-Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale will make a brief rugby league return when he runs out for the Dragons at the NRL Nines in Perth next weekend.

The former Kiwis international retired after the 2018 season, but will lace the boots up one more time as the Nines returns from a two-year hiatus.

It will be the 33-year-old's third Nines tournament for the Red V.

Nightingale's NRL career was cut short midway through the 2018 season when a dislocated elbow sidelined him as the Dragons made the finals.

The cult hero opened his own cafe - Flow Espresso - but says he wants to have a proper farewell from the game.

"It's going to be nice to finish my career on my terms, and not with an injury... although I still have to get through the tournament first," Nightingale told the Dragons' website.

"I haven't done anything competitive for 18 months so it has been exciting to have a purpose to training and an excuse to hang around footballers again."

Nightingale left the game as the Dragons' third most capped player ever, and he's looking forward to seeing the young talent coming through.

"It's going to be free-flowing affair with a carnival atmosphere and a great opportunity to not only wheel out the old fellas but also to blood some new, young talent," he said.

"That's why I feel grateful to be a part of this Nines, to receive an opportunity to play with these players who in the coming years will be where they're destined to be in first grade."

The Dragons will announce the rest of their squad later in the week.

News of Nightingale's return comes as the Dragons learned that forward Jack de Belin could potentially miss the entire 2020 season.

The 28-year-old Dragons and NSW Blues lock is facing five sexual assault charges in relation to an alleged incident involving a woman in December, 2018.

De Belin's trial had been expected to start this month, but after lawyers from both sides debated legal issues, it could be moved back to as late as August.

De Belin missed the entire 2019 NRL campaign after he was banned indefinitely under the code’s controversial no fault stand-down policy last February.

He is ineligible to play until after the trial has concluded.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...to-return-for-nrl-nines/ar-BBZNmYy?li=BBU4PL8

possm

Coach
My starting 9 would be:

1. Lomax
2. Sailor
3. Ravalawa
4. Wiliame
5. Saab
6. Dufty
7. Sullivan
8. Ford
9. Fuimaono

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fares coming home on Sunday are in excess of $1k, unless you’re happy to catch a red eye flight. I know Perth is the most isolated city in the world, but that’s ridiculous.
Yeah well that rules me out. Not really worth it for what is just more or less a bunch of exhibition matches. Would be nice to see Perth a bit though Ive only been there once, been to Indonesia about 20 times but never seem to stop in Perth.

Gippsy

Bench
1nh_4875e.jpg

NINES

Everything you need to know about the Perth NRL Nines
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Thu 16 Jan 2020, 01:00 PM

All 16 NRL teams will turn out in Perth across two days of fast-paced action when the club Nines tournament returns after a two-year absence.

Moving away from Auckland for the first time, the competition is shaping as a summer footy festival with fun the ultimate focus.

Total prize money of $1 million is on the line in the men's competition, with a bonus $1 million available for any club that can win both the Nines and NRL Telstra Premiership this season.

NRL premiers the Roosters are also the reigning Nines champions, having won the most recent edition in 2017.

The four NRLW clubs – the Broncos, Dragons, Warriors and Roosters – will take part in a round-robin tournament.

NRL Nines – Perth
Where: HBF Park

When: February 14-15

Event timings:

• Friday 14 February: 4pm to 8:30pm
  • Saturday 15 February: 11am to 7:30pm
Thirty matches will be played over 12 exciting hours.

nrl-nines_draw-schedule_1920x1080-new.jpg

Men's pools
Pool 1: Panthers, Warriors, Roosters, Knights

Pool 2: Bulldogs, Dragons, Eels, Sharks

Pool 3: Raiders, Wests Tigers, Titans, Rabbitohs

Pool 4: Cowboys, Storm, Broncos, Sea Eagles

TV broadcast information
All games live on NRL Live Pass, Fox League and Kayo (Australia) and Sky NZ (New Zealand)

Ticketing
Two-day passes start from $55 for club members and $60 for general public.

Friday tickets are from $20 for club members or $25 for general public, while Saturday tickets are from $35 for club members or $40 for general public.

Fans can also purchase into an Active Zone, a party area at the end of the stadium featuring a DJ, beach deck, merchandise and other benefits.

Official NRL Travel packages, including NRL Nine’s tickets, accommodation options and exclusive experiences with NRL Legends can be purchased via www.nrl.com/travel

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/16/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-perth-nrl-nines/

Nice shirt!!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yeah well that rules me out. Not really worth it for what is just more or less a bunch of exhibition matches. Would be nice to see Perth a bit though Ive only been there once, been to Indonesia about 20 times but never seem to stop in Perth.

Perth is my happy place.

Since 2002, I’ve been at least 10 times. It’s fantastic. The people (less is better), better climate, superior beaches, reduced pollution, and my fave cricket ground (the WACA) is there, Public transport is also a highlight. Beer prices and a lack of after hour trading are the only detriments.

Who knows, I’d like to retire there one day,

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Nines: Dragons star Bremner out to make the mother of all returns
Dragons Den
r0_0_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ITCHING TO GET BACK: Dragons skipper Sam Bremner feels like a rookie again as she prepares to return to elite rugby league this weekend. Picture: NRL Photos

SHE'S spent close to two years out of the game, but Dragons captain Sam Bremner insists she doesn't have a point to prove on her return to elite rugby league - she has several.

Bremner last played for the Dragons in round one of the inaugural NRLW season in 2018, with an untimely to injury ruling her out for the remainder of that campaign.

She's since become a proud mum to son Reef, with pregnancy seeing her shift to coaching ranks for the 2019 NRLW season. In years gone by that was where players who leave the game to start a family typically stayed, if they stayed in the game at all.

Bremner will break that mould when she returns to co-skipper the Dragons at this weekend's NRL Nines, admitting she hasn't felt the same buzz since her first outing for the Jillaroos close to a decade ago.

"You know what, driving down to training this week I was actually nervous and I thought 'this is awesome' because that means it feels new to me again," Bremner said.

"I've been playing for 10 years this year and, even though I never took anything for granted, it definitely became what I's always done. It never got boring, it was just a habit and what I did.

"I think having 18 months or thereabouts out of the game really makes me appreciate things like training, like just sitting around on the physio bed and chatting to everyone.

"It's a really cool feeling. I get nervous, but I'm nervous excited. I've got so much energy in my body and I just need to get out on the field and let it out.

"When you're out injured you're still hanging around and you're still holding a little bit of resentment over being taken out of the game.

"When you're pregnant you've made a decision to take yourself out of the game for a positive reason. Now going back into it and I'm not just excited about those things I've missed, I feel like I've got more purpose to be the best I can be."

When it comes to that, her best is very, very good - good enough that she's already established as one of the greats of the game.

She's have held that distinction even had the decision to start a family also meant calling time on her career. There was a time that one was the inevitable flip-side of the other.

The times are changing, quicker than most in women's rugby league, but Bremner admits it was something she wrestled with.

"I came to a point in my career, particularly when all the injuries were happening, where I started to feel a little bit guilty that I was putting football first over and over again and putting off having a family," she said.

"My husband [Wayne] was very patient. A family was something I really wanted, but I kept putting rugby league first because I thought once you had a family, that was your number one priority.

"What I've learned is that you can have different top priorities in different areas of your life. Wayne and my family will always be number one in my heart, but when I'm on the field I'm a hundred per cent a rugby league player.

"When I'm at home I'm a hundred per cent a mum, when I'm at work I'm a hundred per cent a PT. That's been a conscious effort for me since Reef was born.

"My only goal this year is to do that. In the past it's been win this, win that but this year it's about being giving a hundred per cent to whatever I'm doing.

"I don't want to be at the field thinking about work, I don't want to be at work rocking Reef, I want to be a hundred per cent wherever I am and so far it's working really well."

Entering the coaching ranks alongside Daniel Lacey last season helped her stay in touch with the game and the club of which she was the founding captain.

r0_0_4727_2973_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STEPPING UP: New mum Sam Bremner was part of the Dragons NRLW coaching staff last season. Picture: NRL Photos

It ensured a return to the playing ranks was never beyond arm's length, but her biggest hope in returning is that it will open the door for others to follow suit.

"Throughout my whole pregnancy no one ever put pressure on me to return to rugby league or be involved with rugby league," Bremner said.

"Everyone encouraged me to do what was best for me and the baby but I put it on myself to do it and prove a point for no other reason than showing my teammates that they could do it to.

"I'm so passionate about this sport and I don't want my teammates to be lost to other sports or other parts of their life because they think they can't do both.

"I want to show that they can, not only do both, but excel at both."

That may be a broader goal, but she has few of her own as well after a tough run with injuries hampered the latter part of her pre-pregnancy career.

The Helensburgh product suffered two separate leg fractures, one keeping her out of the Jillaroos 2017 World Cup victory, while she managed a lone NRLW appearance in 2018 before suffering an untimely broken toe.

r0_0_4131_3048_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OUCH: Sam Bremner has been largely luckless on the injury front in recent seasons. Picture: NRL Photos

Having been a leading light through pioneering years of the early noughties, watching on as the game makes its quantum leap has been frustrating; and left her with some unfinished business.

"It feels like there's been a carrot dangling in front of me for a solid two years," Bremner said.

"I got a little taste of it two years ago when we won National champs [with Country] and played Origin and we won, then I broke my bloody toe.

"I got a little taste of NRLW and that was it for me. It's been a bit of a carrot dangling in front of me but I just kept focusing on how good the feeling would be when I got back.

"I can't remember the last time I was pain-free on the paddock just cruising and playing footy. That's what motivates me now, having that feeling back."

It'll continue a career that's already as stellar as it gets. The biggest highlight though... it's still to come.

"It's probably going to be my proudest moment when I finish a game of rugby league and I can see Reef in the stands and think 'wow, I did it, I didn't think this was possible'," Bremner said.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ut-to-make-the-mother-of-all-returns/?cs=3713

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Even though Dragonsamy said Cody Ramsay can't be picked I think he and Jayden Sullivan will be pickedas a bit different to normal

getsmarty

Immortal
gypsie.jpg

NINES

Nightingale excited for Nines campaign
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 9 Feb 2020, 07:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Former St George Illawarra international Jason Nightingale has described the Dragons as fit and focused after training with them in preparation for his NRL Nines comeback in Perth.

Nightingale, who retired at the end of the 2018 season, is excited at the opportunity to pull on the Red V jersey again at Optus Stadium next Friday night but he admitted that trying to keep up with his former teammates at training had been tough.

"Physically they look a million dollars," he said. "I've done two sessions with them but just watching them do opposed, they just look really switched on and they are humming in what they are doing.

"It's exciting to see and they look really focused in what they are doing. I have seen them do a lot of goal-line defence and there is a lot of intent in what they do there, and it is good to see that at training because you know that it will transfer to the field because there is an extra lift there.

"They look in top nick and trying to train with them is difficult, as you could imagine."

nightingale-spectacular-try.jpeg

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Jason Nightingale scoring a try. :copyright:NRL Photos/NRL Photos
The former New Zealand winger admits that running wasn't his "exercise of choice" but he has maintained fitness through a regular "twice-per-week retired guy trying not to get skinny routine" in the gym, while running his businesses – Flow Espresso in Kogarah and Elite Athlete Business School.

However, after accepting an invitation from Dragons executive manager of football Ben Haran to play at the Nines he has had to step up his training.

"I was at our Christmas party and Ben Haran floated the idea with me after a beer or two," Nightingale said. "After a couple of beers, you'll probably say yes to anything.

"It was probably a good time for me because heaps of the boys are off over Christmas and they do a little bit of training but not too much and that was where I was at. They still smoked me at everything, but it wasn't too intense."

The 33-year-old bowed out as one of just six players to have played more than 250 premiership matches, 30 Tests and scored more than 100 tries, along with Billy Slater, Bob Fulton, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer and Greg Inglis.

However, Nightingale insisted he was not the experienced winger the Dragons want but have so far been unable to find.

"There is still those butterflies and the highs and lows of rugby league – and professional sport, in general – is something that cannot be replicated but I couldn't say I missed it," he said.

"Last year was hard to watch for many reasons and I missed it on game day but that was about it."

Official NRL Travel packages, including NRL Nines tickets, accommodation options and exclusive experiences with NRL Legends can be purchased via www.nrl.com/travel

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/02/10/nightingale-excited-for-Nines-campaign/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-1gp_5084.jpg

NINES

Dragons on for young and old at Perth Nines
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 11 Feb 2020, 12:00 PM

A mixture of youth and experience has defined St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor's 18-man squad ahead of the Dragons' NRL Perth Nines campaign on February 14 and 15 at HBF Stadium.

Victorious Australia Nines internationals Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell headline the squad, alongside new skipper Cameron McInnes who has recovered from a broken leg suffered in the penultimate round of 2019.

Tim Lafai and Brayden Wiliame – who represented Samoa and Fiji at October's World Cup Nines respectively – have been included.

McGregor has also handed dynamic quintet Euan Aitken, Matt Dufty, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab and Tristan Sailor a licence to thrill at the returning tournament.

As announced on Sunday, the Nines will hail the return of club legend Jason Nightingale who last donned a Dragons jumper in 2018.

The Nines will also offer an opportunity for development players Adam Clune and Jayden Sullivan to test their mettle against some of the game's best. Dragons' reigning Under-20s Player of the Year Cody Ramsey will also make the trip to Western Australia.

The Dragons' Nines campaign will kick-off against local rivals Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks on Friday at 5:45pm (AWST)/8:45pm (AEDT). The squad will run out again on Saturday against the Parramatta Eels at 12:25pm (AWST)/3:25pm (AEDT) with an eye to secure a spot in the quarter finals later that day.

The Dragons' 2020 NRL Perth Nines jersey is available for purchase online now, and is available at the Team Store. Make sure you're wearing the freshest Dragons kit going this weekend.

St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL Perth Nines squad –

• Euan Aitken
  • Adam Clune
  • Matt Dufty
  • Jackson Ford
  • Tyson Frizell
  • Tyrell Fuimaono
  • Ben Hunt
  • Josh Kerr
  • Tim Lafai
  • Blake Lawrie
  • Cameron McInnes
  • Jason Nightingale
  • Cody Ramsey
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
  • Jason Saab
  • Tristan Sailor
  • Jayden Sullivan
  • Brayden Wiliame

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/02/11/dragons-on-for-young-and-old-at-perth-nines/

dino1

Juniors
I'm surprised no one didn't form a discussion on nines selections. So im doing it.

What do you guys think about our selections. They are two noticeable omissions. Norman and Lomax, What happened to these two. Why are they missing?

I would of thought these two would be lay down bets. In any case who is our coach for this tournament, I noticed that other teams have nominated names other than their first grade coaches. Is it Mcidiot?

Can anyone shed a performance update on the lesser names in the squad.

Latest posts