What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons NRL Nines 2020 draw revealed

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Obvious to me the focus of thus squad is youth mixed wirh some speed.
They would't risk some players, especially a long flight, play 2 games (maybe more) then a long flight back.
Other noticable absentees are Sims and Vaughan.

The other point here is focusing on 2 players. With the deadline fast approaching to fill the 29 players before March 1st. This could be a trial in itself for Clune and Sullivan. Good perfornances from both, at this level, could see them both given a top 30 jersey. Thus also giving the chance for Ramsey to move into the DS.
I havent heard any news of us in the signings area, so maybe this is a possibility.

giboz71

First Grade
Is 9's really a litmus for how someone will go in the NRL tho?

I remember Jai Field absolutely torched the 9's one year, but went nowhere in 13 a side.

I'd rather see the guys you speak of thrown into the Charity Shield and see how they go in 13 a side against NRL players.

BLM01

First Grade
I'm surprised no one didn't form a discussion on nines selections. So im doing it.

What do you guys think about our selections. They are two noticeable omissions. Norman and Lomax, What happened to these two. Why are they missing?

I would of thought these two would be lay down bets. In any case who is our coach for this tournament, I noticed that other teams have nominated names other than their first grade coaches. Is it Mcidiot?

Can anyone shed a performance update on the lesser names in the squad.
To be honest It does not matter who plays in a Mickey Mouse fun tournament which is all about revenue like that. all I care about that we have no serious injuries from it
I think clubs should be focusing more on getting it right for trial games leading into Round 1 than playing 9"s over in Perth and if injuries happen in trials I can accept it betterJust my opinion

Overseas dragon

Juniors
GO THE BIG RED VVVVVV SEEMS TO ME THERES A BIT OF PACE AMONGST THOSE BOYS . I CAN SEE THEM MAKING SOME NOISE IN THE 9 S ....WE WILL SEE

Crush

Coach

I remember Jai Field absolutely torched the 9's one year, but went nowhere in 13 a side.

I'd rather see the guys you speak of thrown into the Charity Shield and see how they go in 13 a side against NRL players.
Shhhh, don't ruin the buzz.
I cant wait for Cody Ramsey to tear it up and for us all to speculate he should be starting fullback round 1 and Lomax misses out.......

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

It’s not a litmus test for NRL of course, but will still be a good chance to get a look at some of our younger guys in action. Seeing how their speed compares to other more seasoned players, seeing how they can make, break and take a tackle. Seeing if they can pass, seeing if they can kick. Seeing how Clune looks vs Sullivan. It’s been a long off season and it’s our first little taste of of Rugby League might not be any indication of things to come but it will still be fun.

giboz71

First Grade
It’s not a litmus test for NRL of course, but will still be a good chance to get a look at some of our younger guys in action. Seeing how their speed compares to other more seasoned players, seeing how they can make, break and take a tackle. Seeing if they can pass, seeing if they can kick. Seeing how Clune looks vs Sullivan. It’s been a long off season and it’s our first little taste of of Rugby League might not be any indication of things to come but it will still be fun.

I will tune in as well for that very reason. And because it’s been a long off season and will be good to see some League again.

I’m not really expecting a great spectacle however, as I imagine most clubs wouldn’t specifically train for this format, given they are busy preparing for the season. Most likely a week at most training in Nines conditions.

So I’m not really expecting too much with regards to tactics and strategy.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
My starting 9 would be:

1. Lomax
2. Sailor
3. Ravalawa
4. Wiliame
5. Saab
6. Dufty
7. Sullivan
8. Ford
9. Fuimaono

I suppose any footy is better than none at this time of the year but my overriding memory of( I think) the last nines tournament was that Jai Field killed them and was being seen as the excitement machine and next big thing- that turned out well didn't it.

Call me world weary, call me cynical but apart from seeing a promising player like Cody Ramsay for the first time, the nines is like a feed of Chinese food- doesn't really satisfy, Bring on the Charity Shield!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I suppose any footy is better than none at this time of the year but my overriding memory of( I think) the last nines tournament was that Jai Field killed them and was being seen as the excitement machine and next big thing- that turned out well didn't it.

Call me world weary, call me cynical but apart from seeing a promising player like Cody Ramsay for the first time, the nines is like a feed of Chinese food- doesn't really satisfy, Bring on the Charity Shield!
Chinese food is super satisfying to me.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Do pubs up there do Chinese?

Ours are all about the Parma...
Yeah when I was a kid we had a Chinese restaurant in the Bungendore pub called the Great Wall of Bungendore, I used to think that sweet and sour pork was A. The most exotic thing on earth and B. Actually Chinese food.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah when I was a kid we had a Chinese restaurant in the Bungendore pub called the Great Wall of Bungendore, I used to think that sweet and sour pork was A. The most exotic thing on earth and B. Actually Chinese food.
Ahh.. Good old Bungendore..

Do they still have the Jacky Jacky exhibition there or is that long gone?

getsmarty

Immortal
simsk-celeb-190328705-sd.jpg

NINES

Updated Dragons NRL Perth Nines squad
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 11 Feb 2020, 12:00 PM

St George Illawarra forward Korbin Sims has been drafted into coach Paul McGregor's 18-man squad ahead of the Dragons' NRL Perth Nines campaign on February 14 and 15 at HBF Stadium.

Sims replaces Blake Lawrie, who was ruled out on Tuesday with a knee injury.

Victorious Australia Nines internationals Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell headline the squad, alongside new skipper Cameron McInnes who has recovered from a broken leg suffered in the penultimate round of 2019.

Tim Lafai and Brayden Wiliame – who represented Samoa and Fiji at October's World Cup Nines respectively – have been included.

McGregor has also handed dynamic quintet Euan Aitken, Matt Dufty, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab and Tristan Sailor a licence to thrill at the returning tournament.

As announced on Sunday, the Nines will hail the return of club legend Jason Nightingale who last donned a Dragons jumper in 2018.

The Nines will also offer an opportunity for development players Adam Clune and Jayden Sullivan to test their mettle against some of the game's best. Dragons' reigning Under-20s Player of the Year Cody Ramsey will also make the trip to Western Australia.

The Dragons' Nines campaign will kick-off against local rivals Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks on Friday at 5:45pm (AWST)/8:45pm (AEDT). The squad will run out again on Saturday against the Parramatta Eels at 12:25pm (AWST)/3:25pm (AEDT) with an eye to secure a spot in the quarter finals later that day.

The Dragons' 2020 NRL Perth Nines jersey is available for purchase online now, and is available at the Team Store. Make sure you're wearing the freshest Dragons kit going this weekend.

St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL Perth Nines squad –

• Euan Aitken
  • Adam Clune
  • Matt Dufty
  • Jackson Ford
  • Tyson Frizell
  • Tyrell Fuimaono
  • Ben Hunt
  • Josh Kerr
  • Tim Lafai
  • Cameron McInnes
  • Jason Nightingale
  • Cody Ramsey
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
  • Jason Saab
  • Tristan Sailor
  • Korbin Sims
  • Jayden Sullivan
  • Brayden Wiliame

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/02/11/dragons-on-for-young-and-old-at-perth-nines/

Latest posts