What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bench Strategy 2020

SnowDragon

Juniors
Hi all, i have a theory, but interested in your thoughts.

the bench rotation, choice of bench and play style seemed to result in a lot of tired players last year. Was compounded imho by injuries, but it’s the underlaying strategy that was the issue.

Our coach liked a utility back on the bench who got very little game time, and the rotations seemed to not be great at times, with players like Graham getting gassed. The approach really puts the pressure on guys like Friz to play big minutes, and over time, and with injuries performances drop. Possibly this has contributed to the fade outs we get?

this year we have 2 forwards, Ford and Tyrell, who could fill in in the centres with relative ease assuming any injuries. I would thus like to see 4 forwards on the bench, maybe both these guys, plus 2 prop rotations. My concern is that Luke will get a spot, and. It get a lot of game time, or we will keep Dufty on the bench for an explosive 5 minutes.

sure, we can experience t, and maybe there are faults in my thoughts. Any comments or suggestions?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I agree about Fuimaono and Ford. I was so happy with Fords emergence last season as it spelled the end of a wasted bench spot for us. Now Fuimaono adds to that further. I’d start with Vaughan, Lawrie and Merrin. My bench would be Sims, Kerr, Ford and Fuimaono. I would drop Graham.

Reactions: jak

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Like many posters any pre-season optimism is tempered by the fact that Mary remains at least in name as the Head Coach. However to those who assume this season could be as poor as last year's or even one spot worse I say that the 2019 performance leaves significant areas where there is considerable room for improvement. The bench is one of those areas which is very easy to fix.

Throughout Mary's tenure his poor bench tactics have usually meant the Dragons play 16 vs 17. It's like a boxer fighting with one arm tied behind his back. Snow Dragon makes a valuable contribution in suggesting Tyrell and Ford. Whoever appears the best of the two in being a forward sub and emergency back should be No 14. Picking them both depends on the balance of the bench and the injury list. I assume that Luke has not been signed to play CC.

In addition each bench player should be playing 30-50 mins, with no one picked to play a token 5-15 mins. That should help lessen the fatigue factor and maybe the high casualty rate of 2019. I reckon sensible bench management would have been worth at least another 4-5 wins last year.

qld redvee

Juniors
with flanno and shep looking like they are firmly changing things ( calling the shots ?) i think our bench strategy will be a lot improved . I look forward to a proper strategy being used and people like graham used in short bursts say 15 minutes before half time and say 15 minutes into the second half not for the ridiculous amount of time supercoach had him on the field where ha was buggered and really contributed little at times due to fatigue....
supercoach looks like he may only be required to cut the oranges in half .. the way the changes are happening

Crush

Coach
Need a winger on the bench in case one of our starting wingers is injured in the last 10 minutes.
I prefer the idea of having dufty on the bench who we can inject into the game in the last 7 minutes when the forwards are tired so he can reak havoc through the middle. I actually rarely watch the first 73 mins of games, its the last 7 minutes which is the all important bit.

kit66

Bench
Well for starters, Mary actually has to begin using his bench.

Bench from Fantastic, instructions from Ikea.

I have a nagging suspicion that Mary will try to squeeze Luke and Sailor into the team every week leaving only 2 useful spots and again using the 17 ( Sailor ) for a short stint near the end of the game, same as usual.
I agree with Snow Dragon, we need 4 forwards on the bench with one of them being Ford or one of the new guys who can play 2nd row or cover for an injured centre. We need two props who can come on and keep any momentum going.
I remember screaming at the telly last year a few times, sitting there watching Graham looking like he's about to keel over from exhaustion and Mary just leaving him out there. Totally unnecessary and not helping anyone.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Two props, one back rower who can play in the centres and Luke. Then make sure they get game time instead of splinters in there bums.

I’m open to testing Luke as hooker substitute when the teams start to tire... assuming cam drops back to 13... but test it early in the season and only proceed if it works, see if it is an every week thing or against certain teams etc.

personally I’d go 2 props, 1 utility forward and then best additional forward (big impact or ball player depending on form and the opposition).

happy to rest Graham on some weeks to keep his impact up. Hoping not to force any injured players into the grind early in the year. Keep the team fresh, blood guys like Blacker for a few games in the first 2 months etc.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I prefer the idea of having dufty on the bench who we can inject into the game in the last 7 minutes when the forwards are tired so he can reak havoc through the middle. I actually rarely watch the first 73 mins of games, its the last 7 minutes which is the all important bit.
Why not? The first 73 minutes are the most exciting part..

Every time the TV cuts to the opposition coach you can see them shitting themselves worrying about when Mary will use the 4th bench player..

It’s psychological warfare at its best!

My favourite time was when Mary released a fresh Marketo upon the Storm unexpectedly early..

In the 65th minute..

It completely threw Bellamy..

1407581396705.gif

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would be looking at fielding a team of

1 Lomax
2 Ramsey
3 Rava
4 Feagai
5 Saab
6 Hunt
7 Norman
13 Frizell
12 T Sims
11 Ford
10 Merrin
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 K Sims
15 Graham
16 Kerr
17 Sailor

I would have 3 middle bench players. Frizell can cover an injury to a secondrower. The problem with only 3 forwards on the bench is that if one gets injured, then we are only left with 2 reserve forwards for the rest of the game. Graham would play the lock role. He would also be able to provide inspiration and leadership when our starting middle forwards are off the field. Sailor can cover any position in the backline and could also be an attacking weapon to bring off the bench. Maybe he could even spend some time at dummy half. I could improve his defence. I will say that Sailor would be much better off playing 80 minutes at 5/8 in Canterbury Cup than being on the bench and not getting much game time. Host would be my number 18

I obviously wouldn't be picking Luke. I am not a fan of him and don't like the idea of him moving to the backrow mid game. I don't think he is a backrower. He is an out and out hooker. Mary had the chance to experiment with McInness in the backrow last year and could have given Robson a shot at hooker off the bench, but he instead chose to play Robson in the backrow.

I know my 1 to 5 are extremely inexperienced, but I just can't pick Aitken or Lafai, they aren't good enough. I have no confidence in Williame. I think Tyrel is best suited to secondrow. I have the attitude that if they are good enough they are old enough. The Feagai brothers have rapts on them. I would give the one who plays centre a shot. He looks to have the physique to handle first grade at 18 years old. I would consider blooding him as an investment for the future. By 2022 he could be a seasoned first grader. Like a few others on this site, I think Rava could be better suited to centre than wing. I would have liked to have seen him given a run in the centres last year. Ramsey looks like a very good, but raw talent. Him and Saab could be the best 2 wing options we have this year? Again he would be an investment in the future.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Bench from Fantastic, instructions from Ikea.

I have a nagging suspicion that Mary will try to squeeze Luke and Sailor into the team every week leaving only 2 useful spots and again using the 17 ( Sailor ) for a short stint near the end of the game, same as usual.
I agree with Snow Dragon, we need 4 forwards on the bench with one of them being Ford or one of the new guys who can play 2nd row or cover for an injured centre. We need two props who can come on and keep any momentum going.
I remember screaming at the telly last year a few times, sitting there watching Graham looking like he's about to keel over from exhaustion and Mary just leaving him out there. Totally unnecessary and not helping anyone.

Paddles

Juniors

And when Dufty comes on, Lomax can move to the halves, Hunt to hooker, McInnes to lock, Merrin to prop, an Vaughan can go to fullback, therefore negating the need to use the bench at all and reinforcing the POWER GAME.