What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

Matua

Bench
If I'd have voted properly, I think I just nominated Godfather indirectly :), True Romance might have been higher as it likely would have made my top 10.

Django and Kill Bill are both quite low on my Tarantino list - which is not to say they're not good, just not as good as his others.

I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life in years.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy wouldn't dent my top 50 or 100 to be honest, I watched them once when they came out and have never felt the need to watch any of them again.

Big Pete

Referee
I seem to be in the minority, but I felt the Two Towers took the LotR series to another level and it seemed easier to get into. What makes it an easier watch for me is how the story splits off into different acts so whenever one section grows tiresome you catch up with another set of characters. It allows for better character development as well where in the first movie I didn't like the characters.

It's A Wonderful Life is one of my favourite movies of all-time. The movie has been referenced that many times, I was worried that it would have spoiled my experience, but there was still plenty of meat left on the bone. What makes the movie stand out to me is the community of Bedford Falls and how charming all the side characters are. Sure the movie focus' on Bailey, but it's his interactions with the others that makes the alternative reality so haunting. I don't think any other director could make as strong a feel good movie as Capra.

I don't blame anyone for not enjoying Tarantino. He's an acquired taste and a lot of his movies are written as genre pieces that either play with the genre or try to show off their best traits. I don't think he makes the type of movies you can get lost in, rather they're just fun rides that hit a lot of right notes. With that said, I haven't seen a movie of his I didn't enjoy - even Death Proof is a really fun hang out movie with some excellent stunts and a great performance from Russell.

What I like about Kill Bill is how it plays around with the revenge genre. Usually in these type of movies there's maybe one memorable henchmen but here they all get fleshed out to the point where it feels like you're watching mini-spin offs play out. I also like that despite this one awful act, they all had their share of impressive accomplishments along the way. Vivica Fox for instance has completely moved on from that phase, she's become a mother and she's living in this safe neighbourhood when her past catches up with her. You feel terrible for the daughter and it sets the tone of this movie. Revenge is not this completely bad-ass concept, it's ugly and a lot of bystanders suffer because of it.

Django has that great father-son dynamic between Waltz and Foxx going on and I would have been satisfied if it was just them taking care of bounties. However the movie does have worthwhile ambitions and their journey to try and reunite Django with his wife makes for a wonderful climax. I love how the movie becomes character driven and how certain plot points play out due to insecurities of said characters. It takes what should be a fairly straight forward situation and turns it on his head. The movie has a fantastic cast and Waltz did extremely well to win Best Actor considering his competition with Seymour Hoffman. I would have leaned towards PSH for his performance in The Master but Schultz is a fantastic character and there's no shame in losing out to him.

Keep them coming.

Interesting mix in the latest lot.. None made my list. Loved all the LOTR movies (having never read the books)... but as amazing as they were I’d never have an urge to watch them again like I regularly do with the others I’d picked - which is how helped narrow down to a favourite top 30. All 3 are outstanding movies though no doubt.

Haven’t seen it’s a wonderful life, and presumed it was a very american, syrupy christmassy film but curiousity has got me now seeing as though it’s rated so highly by others here.

Kill Bill, great film. Both volumes are great. as is True Romance.

Django Unchained. Saw it when it first came out, remember I thought it was pretty good but for reasons whatever I can’t remember a single thing about it apart from a scene with a carriage near the start. There’s many movies I’ve seen like this (eg 12 years a slave) that ive seen and enjoyed to varying degrees at the time, but for the life of me I remember sweet FA about them later on.

Wizardman

First Grade
Heavy Tarantino influence here...not unexpected though. I found Django pretty good. I absolutely love Kill Bill and pretty much look at it as one movie. I've always loved kung fu movies and really appreciated the whole tone of the movie. When it comes to movies where women are the fighting heroes, I can be a sexist pig. But, Uma totally sold it in every way in this movie....underrated performance from her. Great to see David Carradine in it too...probably the performance of his long career. Absolutely loved it.

Lord of the Rings: I really need to give the first movie another chance. I watched it when I was pissed to the eyeballs and got nothing out of it.

It's a wonderful Life: It is on my "to see" list.

Misanthrope

Staff member
nah I’m a big fan but that is definitely not a movie to try and watch pissed. Commando, Predator, Uncle Buck... now they are great examples is pisspot watchable movies..

Would have been an epic feat to get through the whole LOTR in that state..

I sometimes don't even watch a LOTR movie in a single sitting. I've been jumping in and out of Fellowship whenever I need a break from my computer and just want to veg out on the couch. Just got to Moria and I started two weeks ago haha