What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons enforcers Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims set for big switch in Red V revolution
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

d7b518d9bae8cbb78651998b04d3f1a0

Tyson Frizel and Tariq Sims will switch sides in 2020.Source: Getty Images
Red V representative backrowers Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims will switch sides this season as part of a St George Illawarra overhaul designed to give the Dragons added punch.

While Frizell has been a mainstay for NSW and Australia on the right edge in recent seasons, the Blues enforcer has confirmed he has spent the off-season training on the Dragons left side.

The switch means Dragons halfback Ben Hunt will have a new bodyguard in Sims while Frizell has been working on sparking a fresh combination with Red V five-eighth Corey Norman.

“Mary (McGregor) threw out the idea at the start of pre-season and I’ve got to say I was a keen for a little bit of a change up with my game,” Frizell said.

“It means I’ve had to change a couple of little technicalities defensively but otherwise it’s pretty similar. Corey and I have been working hard to try and strike up a good understanding of each other’s game.”

While Frizell has won the past two State of Origin shields with NSW and is a regular in Mal Meninga’s hugely-successful Australian Test side, the one accolade to consistently elude him is a shot at grand final glory.

Sure he’s been part of Red V finals campaigns in 2015 and most recently in 2018 but a shot at winning a title is what really drives the Blues and Kangaroos backrower.

“I’ve been lucky enough to achieve a fair few things in my career,” Frizell said.

“But the one thing all players will tell you they want to achieve is winning a premiership. I’d trade everything I’ve achieved so far for the opportunity to win one, to be honest.

“I’d especially love to win one at the Dragons and with this team we’ve got at the moment.

“People might laugh at that statement after the way we finished last year but amongst ourselves there’s a belief we can turn things around pretty quickly.”

273f963c16e8b457516ec7ca45ae7dc0

Frizell is off contract at the end of the season.Source: AAP
Frizell, 29, is off contract at the end of this year and guaranteed to be one of the most in-demand NRL forward’s on the open market.

It’s hard to see him playing in another jumper aside from St George Illawarra but in this day and age of rugby league you never say never.

“I’d like to get it sorted as soon as possible. I’m not the type of player to want to have that distraction going on throughout the season,” Frizell said.

“Hopefully we can get something sorted out soon.”

The Dragons performances last year had the Red V army livid with their football team.

Frizell understands their pain, having lived in St George heartland.

“As brutal as some of our fans can be it’s only because they care,” Frizell said.

“You’ve got to look at it from their point of view as well. They love the club and we let them down last year.”

Frizell will play for the Dragons in the Perth Nines starting on Friday.

The experienced backrower reasons the coaching staff shake-up at the Red V over the summer has added fresh ideas to the club.

Everyone at St George Illawarra understands a repeat of last season will not be tolerated.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/64b08aa5780ee410516e90e148b4c7c1

Dragsters

First Grade
Uncle Wayne, yes please...

A Bennett return to the Dragons not off the cards
Wayne Bennett could make a return to the Dragons to become their coach (again).

ALEX CAIAFA

CONTRIBUTOR
MARCH 13, 2020 - 5:16

Wayne Bennett could make a stunning return to coach St George Illawarra according to The Daily Telegraph’s chief editor Phil Rothfield.

A return to the Dragons for Bennett isn’t off the table with the coaching great set to potentially look for a new job amidst the Rabbitohs’ succession plan for his assistant Jason Demetriou to take over in 2022.

Bennett still has two years remaining on his contract, but there are growing fears that the distraction of the succession plan may cause the coaching great to depart earlier than first expected.

After a poor 2019, current Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under pressure to retain his job despite signing an extension to stay at the club until 2021.

“What I’m predicting here is that Wayne Bennett will be the next coach of St George Illawarra,” Rothfield said.

“I think it will happen in the next 12 months and I think it’s going to be potentially the biggest story of the year.”

The Rabbitohs find themselves in an off-field transitional period over the coming years with general manager of football Shane Richardson also set to depart the club once Bennett leaves.

“Wayne Bennett doesn’t want to be a football manager like Gus Gould was at Penrith,” Rothfield said.

“I would have thought there would have been a lovely slot for him to be Shane Richardson, Richo goes and they (Bennett and Demetriou) work together there.

(But) he insists he wants to coach again.”

McGregor passed his internal review during the off-season, but Rothfield is under the impression that his safety long-term isn’t safe and that Bennett and the Dragons have a mutual interest in returning again.

”Everyone knows that if St George struggle this year — and it’s looking like they will with their roster and doubts around (suspended forward Jack) De Belin — that ‘Mary’ McGregor is gone,” he said.

”He was a cigarette paper off being axed last year.’

Rothfield believes McGregor should have gotten the sack after last year.

Dragons assistant Shane Flanagan would love a return to top-level coaching, but because of his suspension over Cronulla’s salary cap scandal, the NRL has only allowed Flanagan to take on an assistant coaching role for the next two years which almost seemingly rules him out as a potential coach if things don’t go as planned for the Dragons in 2020.

“I know for a fact that Wayne Bennett would be open to going back to St George,” Rothfield said.

“He loved this stint there — he won a premiership there and I honestly think it’s a big chance of happening.”

The Rabbitohs are tipped as a title contender in 2020, but Rothfield and colleague Dean Ritchie are under the belief that the Bennett-Demetriou plans could have a negative effect on any premiership aspirations.

“This is the problem Souths have when you try to set out your future long term,” Ritchie said. “I get that every club needs and wants stability, but when you say to a coach you’ve got two years and you’re out, those two years can be very disruptive on a variety of levels.”

Bennetts failure to see out contracts in previous years has also added to the speculation.

“It started back in 1987 at Canberra when he left the Raiders mid-contract to become the first coach of the Brisbane Broncos,” he said.

“He also found the going too tough at the Newcastle Knights and walked out early on his contract there to go take a job at the Broncos.

“He also left this Broncos contract early, albeit he was axed, because they thought he was pre-coaching at Souths before he got down there and they wanted to do the swap with Seibold.

“There’s a few contracts over the years he hasn’t seen out.”

With Bennett’s position at the Rabbitohs under a cloud and one eye on the future, the Rabbitohs playing ranks could also be affected.

“Cameron Murray is off contract at the end of next year. Would Wayne Bennett be keen to extend him or would be Wayne Bennett be keen to have a quiet chat to him and say ‘look, I’m off to St George, would you think about coming over and captaining that club?” Rothfield said.

“Other players that need to be extended at Souths that Jason Demetriou might want to keep but Wayne Bennett doesn’t think they’re worthy of that.”

Rothfield also believes the McGregor shouldn’t be the only coach who should be worried about a potential Bennett arrival.

“If Dean Pay doesn’t improve the Bulldogs this year I think Wayne Bennett would be an obvious target for them,” Rothfield said.

“We know George Khoury and their leagues club prints money and they’d have the cash available to attract him.

“There’s a $4 million war chest there at the beginning of next year to rebuild.

“I just think it’s a really big developing story that could be unsettling for the Rabbitohs particularly if they go through a rough streak this year.”

Although the Bennett-Demetriou succession plan isn’t set to start until the end of next year, Rothfield believes the change is already in effect.

“You ask any player there, he’s not the hands-on coach,” Rothfield said of Bennett.

“Demetriou is the hands-on coach there.”

https://www.nospam21.com/a-bennett-return-to-the-dragons-not-off-the-cards-53206/

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-14_13-48-10.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-14_13-48-10.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 3

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
From todays SMH ....................

McGregor says he's committed.
I say he's a committed ratbag.

'I'm committed': McGregor digs in at Dragons as pressure builds before Panthers clash

Paul McGregor says he is "committed" to his role as Dragons coach after an underwhelming performance in round one raised further questions about his future.

The Dragons lost 24-14 at home to a dominant Wests Tigers - a far from ideal start to the season for McGregor, who is desperate to prove his worth after a 2019 review spared him from the axe despite the club finishing 15th.

every player in the competition for COVID-19 in a move that could bring the season to a grinding halt.

"They understand the difficulty around the situation with what's going on," McGregor said. "We're listening, we're learning. We're putting best practice into everything we do at training, and certainly the players know about hygiene and isolation."

McGregor said the start of the season was "very important" for his players in proving their worth, and was determined to not be "chasing teams" after a couple of early losses.

RELATED ARTICLE

EXCLUSIVE
NRL 2020

NRL season to go on the line with players blanket tested for COVID-19
"We put ourselves in a position to win the game multiple times [last week] but we just didn't," McGregor said. "It's about improving on round one and going out in the best possible way of winning round two and that's what we've done this week, is prepare well to play well."

The Dragons boss made the difficult call to punt Zac Lomax back to the wing after the round one loss, reinstating Matt Dufty at fullback. McGregor said he made the call on Dufty after seeing an "attitude shift" in the 24-year-old.

"He's gone from a person that didn't really like too much training to owning training," McGregor said. "Certainly his values around the team about what needs to be done has improved our side so I'm looking for Dufty to go out there and really be exciting."

The Panthers are shaping as one of the strongest clubs in the competition after pulling off a huge upset in round one by defeating the defending champions.

Tariq Sims' one-game suspension for a shoulder charge means Tyrell Fuimaono will come into the starting side, with the Red V still without their captain Cameron McInnes due to a knee injury. He is looking to return in round eight.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
NRL is run more like a charity than a business, says key sponsor
Danny Weidler
April 5, 2020 — 12.01am

Leave a comment

A leading sponsor of two of Sydney’s biggest clubs has taken the NRL to task for what he says are years of financial mismanagement.

TripADeal co-founder Norm Black said an inability to get a bank loan to bail the game out of trouble highlights just how badly the NRL has been run for a decade.

Black is the back-of-jumper sponsor of the Dragons and Sea Eagles and built his travel company from the ground up.

6ce6e54ea54e15917954412da274b0c68e08b6ee

Norm Black’s TripADeal sponsors the Dragons (above) and Sea EaglesCREDIT:AAP

‘‘Why does the NRL have to appeal to the government while the AFL go to NAB and ANZ [banks]?’’ he asked. ‘‘It’s because of the underlying risk the NRL represents as a business. The NRL has been living beyond its means for years now and they have nothing for a rainy day.

"We paid the Dragons an instalment when we knew the comp was going to be shut down and we knew our business was going to be hit hard. That’s because we have managed things and we are prepared for difficult times.

‘‘This position that league finds itself in is a combination of years of not seeing themselves as a business, but as a game. We all do love the game, but that is a business and that business is in the entertainment business. How we provide that entertainment and use the revenue from it remains the key to any future.’’

Black is a league lover and TripADeal was previously the front-of-jumper sponsor for the Titans, even though he is a Dragons man. He says the whole set-up of league is wrong from a business perspective.

‘‘The NRL essentially runs as a franchise in that the NRL (the franchisor) is the head franchise and allows the clubs to become the franchisee,’’ he said.

Advertisement
‘‘In the case of the NRL, they collect all the major revenues and distribute it down to the clubs and, as a consequence, run a very top-heavy, expensive head office and try to apply control of their franchisee in that their dependency on funding from head office becomes, in many clubs’ cases, their majority revenue. In any other franchise model, the franchisee collects all their individual revenues and pays the percentage back to head office.

‘‘If, in the case of the NRL, the clubs owned say 50 per cent of the game, still paying franchise fees back to a head office, they will be more incentivised to run a much more efficient business model at club-land level as they live and die by the overall success of their individual business.

"In any other franchise model, if you don’t run your business [as] efficient and profitable, you close down and receive no funding. In the case of league, we continue to prop up failing franchisees. This is not business, this becomes the definition of charity.’

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Danny Weidler
April 5, 2020 — 12.01am

Leave a comment

A leading sponsor of two of Sydney’s biggest clubs has taken the NRL to task for what he says are years of financial mismanagement.

TripADeal co-founder Norm Black said an inability to get a bank loan to bail the game out of trouble highlights just how badly the NRL has been run for a decade.

Black is the back-of-jumper sponsor of the Dragons and Sea Eagles and built his travel company from the ground up.

‘‘Why does the NRL have to appeal to the government while the AFL go to NAB and ANZ [banks]?’’ he asked. ‘‘It’s because of the underlying risk the NRL represents as a business. The NRL has been living beyond its means for years now and they have nothing for a rainy day.

"We paid the Dragons an instalment when we knew the comp was going to be shut down and we knew our business was going to be hit hard. That’s because we have managed things and we are prepared for difficult times.

‘‘This position that league finds itself in is a combination of years of not seeing themselves as a business, but as a game. We all do love the game, but that is a business and that business is in the entertainment business. How we provide that entertainment and use the revenue from it remains the key to any future.’’

Black is a league lover and TripADeal was previously the front-of-jumper sponsor for the Titans, even though he is a Dragons man. He says the whole set-up of league is wrong from a business perspective.

‘‘The NRL essentially runs as a franchise in that the NRL (the franchisor) is the head franchise and allows the clubs to become the franchisee,’’ he said.

Advertisement
‘‘In the case of the NRL, they collect all the major revenues and distribute it down to the clubs and, as a consequence, run a very top-heavy, expensive head office and try to apply control of their franchisee in that their dependency on funding from head office becomes, in many clubs’ cases, their majority revenue. In any other franchise model, the franchisee collects all their individual revenues and pays the percentage back to head office.

‘‘If, in the case of the NRL, the clubs owned say 50 per cent of the game, still paying franchise fees back to a head office, they will be more incentivised to run a much more efficient business model at club-land level as they live and die by the overall success of their individual business.

"In any other franchise model, if you don’t run your business [as] efficient and profitable, you close down and receive no funding. In the case of league, we continue to prop up failing franchisees. This is not business, this becomes the definition of charity.’

This guy should be running the NRL-no, on second thoughts, I'm going to be selfish- I would prefer he be the SGI CEO- loves the Dragons and thinks outside the square

blacksafake

First Grade
Danny Weidler
April 5, 2020 — 12.01am

Leave a comment

Advertisement

There's no doubt that things will change now especially with V'Landy.
He'll fix the financial side of things unless he is met with a brick wall from the clubs in which case he'll tell them to stick it.

denis preston

First Grade
There's no doubt that things will change now especially with V'Landy.
He'll fix the financial side of things unless he is met with a brick wall from the clubs in which case he'll tell them to stick it.
Yes, took a virus to highlight all this. Got to be like the AFL, the clubs are beholding to the NRL to run and make the hard decisions without having to get their permission. At present all decisions are dependent on what suits the clubs , not the game.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes, took a virus to highlight all this. Got to be like the AFL, the clubs are beholding to the NRL to run and make the hard decisions without having to get their permission. At present all decisions are dependent on what suits the clubs , not the game.
It is not just the NRL that the slow or lock downs have highlighted things for.whether it be financially or other
Its highlighted about a lot of change of processess needed and given an opportunity to the way govt and a businesses do things as well

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai at centre of probe over Good Friday home incident
For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.
Adam Pengilly
Updated April 12, 2020 — 11.06amfirst published at 10.30am

The NRL integrity unit have been informed of an incident involving Dragons centre Tim Lafai where he is alleged to have punched holes in the wall of his family home after a dispute with his wife over spending time with their kids.

Samoan international Lafai, 28, will be the subject of an NRL probe after neighbours reported a disturbance at his home south of Wollongong, on Good Friday.

Police claim they met Lafai's wife, Jacqui, upon arriving at the house. Lafai had lost his cool after a disagreement with his wife over whether he should train in his home gym with a friend.

There is no suggestion Lafai physically abused his family.

But officers allege when they returned to the house a second time they found Lafai with red marks on his forehead and blood on his knuckles.

"At about 2pm on Friday April 10 officers from Lake Illawarra Police District were called to a house in Warrawong following a concern for welfare report," a NSW Police spokeswoman said.

"A 28-year-old man was located lying in the backyard of the home. He was taken to Wollongong Hospital for treatment and hand injuries.

f42ba56c47a7546c00539f2b259150d864200df3

The Dragons said the club would not comment further on the incident involving Tim Lafai.Credit:Getty

"Police have been told the man allegedly became aggressive after a domestic-related argument with a 27-year-old woman in the home before he allegedly punched a number of walls within the house.

"Upon release from hospital he was served an apprehended domestic violence order. Inquiries are continuing."

No charges were laid.

The Dragons confirmed the centre had been the subject of a police inquiry.

"St George Illawarra are aware of a police matter involving Dragons centre Tim Lafai," the club said in a statement on Sunday morning.

"The NRL integrity unit have been informed. As this is a deeply personal and private matter, at this stage the Dragons will be making no further comment."

The NRL integrity unit are monitoring the situation. Given the competition is not due to re-start until May 28 it is believed will let the police investigation take its course.

ad91124a0df18a30f4682a8d5ea6f7fa9cdacb75

No charges were laid against Tim Lafai.Credit:Anna Warr

Lafai has made 165 NRL appearances and was already facing an uncertain on-field future given he is off contract at the end of the season.

The NRL won't register any new contracts while the competition is on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Lafai is in the fifth year of a stint at St George Illawarra after spending five years at the Bulldogs, where he played in the 2014 grand final.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...tter-after-home-incident-20200412-p54j4j.html

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Lafai at centre of probe over Good Friday home incident
For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.
Adam Pengilly
Updated April 12, 2020 — 11.06amfirst published at 10.30am
The NRL integrity unit have been informed of an incident involving Dragons centre Tim Lafai where he is alleged to have punched holes in the wall of his family home after a dispute with his wife over spending time with their kids.

Samoan international Lafai, 28, will be the subject of an NRL probe after neighbours reported a disturbance at his home south of Wollongong, on Good Friday.

Police claim they met Lafai's wife, Jacqui, upon arriving at the house. Lafai had lost his cool after a disagreement with his wife over whether he should train in his home gym with a friend.

There is no suggestion Lafai physically abused his family.

But officers allege when they returned to the house a second time they found Lafai with red marks on his forehead and blood on his knuckles.

"At about 2pm on Friday April 10 officers from Lake Illawarra Police District were called to a house in Warrawong following a concern for welfare report," a NSW Police spokeswoman said.

"A 28-year-old man was located lying in the backyard of the home. He was taken to Wollongong Hospital for treatment and hand injuries.

f42ba56c47a7546c00539f2b259150d864200df3

The Dragons said the club would not comment further on the incident involving Tim Lafai.Credit:Getty

"Police have been told the man allegedly became aggressive after a domestic-related argument with a 27-year-old woman in the home before he allegedly punched a number of walls within the house.

"Upon release from hospital he was served an apprehended domestic violence order. Inquiries are continuing."

No charges were laid.

The Dragons confirmed the centre had been the subject of a police inquiry.

"St George Illawarra are aware of a police matter involving Dragons centre Tim Lafai," the club said in a statement on Sunday morning.

"The NRL integrity unit have been informed. As this is a deeply personal and private matter, at this stage the Dragons will be making no further comment."

The NRL integrity unit are monitoring the situation. Given the competition is not due to re-start until May 28 it is believed will let the police investigation take its course.

ad91124a0df18a30f4682a8d5ea6f7fa9cdacb75

No charges were laid against Tim Lafai.Credit:Anna Warr

Lafai has made 165 NRL appearances and was already facing an uncertain on-field future given he is off contract at the end of the season.

The NRL won't register any new contracts while the competition is on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Lafai is in the fifth year of a stint at St George Illawarra after spending five years at the Bulldogs, where he played in the 2014 grand final.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...tter-after-home-incident-20200412-p54j4j.html

Thanks for posting, GS.
Don’t worry folks, Lafai will still be one of the first selected ( behind Atiken ) when league resumes.

getsmarty

Immortal
Saint Benny: Wayne’s Red V return heats up as former pupil gives tick of approval
Dragons
3d217174c0c9b6aad2e2cffed3911339

Coach Wayne Bennett could return to Wollongong with the Dragons next year.Source: News Limited

The rumours of NRL supercoach Wayne Bennett making a return to Wollongong next year have heated up again this week.

The Daily Telegraph ignited the story in a column on Monday and now 2010 premiership player Jamie Soward has thrown his weight behind it.

Bennett coached the Dragons for three years and led them to the 2010 title. He left the club a year later.

In the eight seasons since his departure the club has only qualified for finals twice, and they’ve began the 2020 campaign with two losses.

Bennett is currently coaching South Sydney but the Rabbitohs have a succession plan in place and the veteran coach does not have a job for 2021 at this stage.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has struggled to turn the team into a premiership contender and fans aren’t exactly fully supportive of him remaining in the job.

Bennett has already indicated his desire to continue coaching, despite being 70 years old.

Soward told Wide World of Sports Bennett could transform the famous Red V into a force once again.

“Wayne is a great coach - his record speaks for itself,” Soward said.

“He is a great person and the club would be lucky to have him. They need roster changes but he is capable of making those hard calls.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/0fd8530114c69fb309d876d04584538d

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
NRL 'secures a $250million loan' to stop the game from collapsing in financial ruin after the coronavirus outbreak forced play to stop
  • The NRL secured a $250million loan from London's Oakwell Sports Advisory
  • They struggled to find an Australian backer due to the coronavirus outbreak
  • Loan removes pressure from Nine and Fox who contracted to pay $130m a year
  • Competition to go ahead on May 28 with games expected to be played in NSW
  • Learn more about how to help people impacted by COVID
By SAHAR MOURAD FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 14:00 AEST, 15 April 2020 | UPDATED: 14:55 AEST, 15 April 2020

[URL='https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8219945/NRL-secures-250million-loan-help-financially-competition-stopped-coronavirus.html#comments']The
NRL has reportedly secured a $250million loan from overseas banks to stop the game from collapsing after the coronavirus outbreak forced the the sport to stop.[/URL]

The competition struggled to find an Australian backer as the game was cut short after round one due to the coronavirus outbreak.

NRL brokered with London's Oakwell Sports Advisory for the $250m which will allow the sport to go ahead as planned for May 28.

27204618-8219945-image-a-1_1586922486377.jpg

+3
The competition struggled to find an Australian backer as the game was cut short after round one due to the coronavirus outbreak (Canberra Raiders players celebrate during their game against the Gold Coast Titans at GIO Stadium on March 13)

27204630-8219945-image-a-2_1586922502319.jpg

+3
NRL is expected to return on May 28 after the game was stopped due to the coronavirus outbreak (Pictured: Renouf To'omaga of Canterbury Bulldogs playing against the North Queensland Cowboys at ANZ Stadium on March 19)

Australian Rugby League Commission announces plans to restart NRL

'We're a little bit apart, and that's what you do in negotiation and you try and get to the position where everyone's happy with.

'We couldn't have gotten more than what we did today out of the meeting.'

The NRL is also working on Queensland teams staying in Sydney so they don't have to quarantine themselves for 14 days each time they go back to the state.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said State of Origin may not be hosted in the state either under health advice.

'I love the footy as much as you, as much as everyone else,' Ms Palaszczuk said on Tuesday.

27204620-8219945-image-a-3_1586922541694.jpg

+3
ARLC chairman Peter V'landys (pictured) met with Nine boss Hugh Marks on Tuesday after the broadcaster doubled down on their decision for the game to resume

'But look, I think we have to be very realistic here. We have to take the advice of health [authorities].'

She however, did not rule out the State of Origin returning in some capacity this year, but said it could be held in December if restrictions are lifted.

Since no Origin games will be played in Queensland, the entire series may take place in NSW.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he welcomed the NRL's efforts to push forward with the season, but warned against doing it hastily.

He said there will be no special arrangements for the NRL as they will be subject to health advice

hewi

Bench
DRAGONS

Damien Cook

Realistically, the Panthers and Bulldogs could join the list of clubs who missed the mark in letting Cook go. The Bulldogs in particular have lacked a long-term option in the number nine since Michael Ennis left. But the Dragons had two chances to lock the dynamic rake down. The first came in his early years with Cook attending Illawarra Sports High School and playing his junior footy for the Helensburgh Tigers. He would eventually earn a first-grade contract with the Dragons after a two-year stint in the NYC competition with Penrith. He only played two games in the NRL but starred for the team’s feeder club – Illawarra Cutters – where he played fullback and five-eighth. Cook’s devastating pace was a weapon when he was put in space – did you know that he was a beach sprinter growing up? Anyway, Cook was named in the NSW Cup Team of the Year in the number 14 jersey. He had not quite had the opportunity to lock down a favoured position and instead was viewed as the perfect utility option with spark and energy that can catch tired defenders off guard. But he was let go with the Dragons favouring the rotation of Mitch Rein and Craig Garvey.

getsmarty

Immortal
Team of the Decade (2010s) determined
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 5 May 2020, 02:34 PM

Nine big decisions, 48 players sifted through and well over 20,000 votes later, the St George Illawarra Dragons' Team of the 2010s has finally been determined, thanks to our Red V members and fans.

While the bulk of the Team of the 2010s featured in the Dragons' grand final triumph over the Sydney Roosters, there remains a littering of fan favourites throughout different periods of the decade for the Red V faithful to enjoy.

The Team of the Decade (2010s) has been proudly brought to you by St.George Bank.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok and Instagram and stay tuned to Dragons.com.au for all the latest Red V news.

Fullback of the Decade
Darius Boyd (2009-2011)
Dragons appearances: 69 (47 games in the 2010s)
66 per cent of the fullback vote

It’s fair to say Darius Boyd's short stint at the Dragons allowed for some of his greater showings. Awarded the Clive Churchill medal for best on ground in the 2010 grand final, Boyd was also named Dally M Fullback of the Year, the RLPA Player of the Year and the Red V Members' Player of the Year at the beginning of the decade. Boyd was a representative mainstay for Queensland and Australia while at the Red V prior to his departure at 2011's conclusion.

boydd-try-11041808-i.jpeg

Wingers of the Decade
Brett Morris (2006-2014)
Dragons appearances: 169 (108 games in the 2010s)
42 per cent of the winger vote

The local Kiama junior was always destined to don the Red V at first grade level, which he achieved in 2006. A whopping 169 appearances and 114 tries (second-most in joint-venture history) later, with plenty of New South Wales and Australian jumpers in between, Morris would depart the club in 2014. The club's leading try-scorer (20) in 2010 also earned due awards in the form of the Red V Members' Player of the Year and the prestigious Dragons Medal in 2012.

morris-try-14032272.jpg

Jason Nightingale (2007-2018)
Dragons appearances: 270 (212 games in the 2010s)
55 per cent of the winger vote

As St George, Illawarra and St George Illawarra's third-most capped player ever, Jason Nightingale scored 110 NRL tries for the Dragons and became a mainstay for New Zealand, representing the Kiwis on 33 occasions. 'Gypsy's' time at the Dragons is highlighted by his impressive haul of club awards: twice claiming the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy (2010 and 2016), the Immortals Trophy (2011), Red V Members' Player of the Year (2011 and 2013), the Mark Coyne Trophy (2014) and the prestigious Dragons Medal (2011).

nightingalej-10092545-i.jpeg

Centres of the Decade
Mark Gasnier (2000-08; 2010-11)
Dragons appearances: 174 (33 games in the 2010s)
34 per cent of the centre vote

The nephew of club legend and rugby league immortal Reg, Mark Gasnier carved out his own stellar career in the Red V. A late-season move back to the Dragons in 2010 after a spell in French Rugby paid dividends in the form of premiership glory, where he scored the opening try for the Red V in the grand final. A prolific representative for state and country throughout his career, Gasnier was afforded one last hurrah for New South Wales in 2011 before retirement beckoned.

Matt Cooper (2000-13)
Dragons appearances: 243 (63 games in the 2010s)
61 per cent of the centre vote

Matt Cooper made his debut for the Dragons at the turn of the century and wore the Red V for his entire 13-year career, amassing an incredible 243 games before his 2013 retirement. Highly regarded as one of the best defensive centres in the league, the local Shellharbour junior was as handy at finding the try-line and remains the joint-venture's record holder for most tries (124). Cooper's 100th career win coincided with the Dragons' 2010 grand final victory.

cooperm-try-10090519-i.jpeg

Halves of the Decade
Jamie Soward (2007-13)
Dragons appearances: 140 (81 games in the 2010s)
66 per cent of the five-eighth vote

St George Illawarra's most prolific individual point-scorer (977), the composed Jamie Soward slotted 25 field goals in Dragons colours; arguably the most important coming against the Wests Tigers in the 2010 preliminary final to seal the Red V's place in the grand final. The rest, as they say, is history. Soward's form was rewarded in 2011 when he represented New South Wales in all three State of Origin matches before his departure midway through 2013.

sowardj-10062023.jpeg

Ben Hornby (c) (2000-2012)
Dragons appearances: 273 (72 games in the 2010s)
79 per cent of the halfback vote

One moment in time trumps all others when reflecting on the decade as a St George Illawarra fan – Ben Hornby holding aloft the Provan Summons Trophy in 2010. Hornby also led the Dragons to World Club Challenge success and another huge finals tilt the year following. Prior to his retirement in 2012, Hornby became the most-capped player in St George, Illawarra and St George Illawarra history when he surpassed immortal back-rower Norm Provan, a record that remains to this day.

getsmarty

Immortal
Part 2

Front-rowers of the Decade
Leeson Ah Mau (2012-18)
Dragons appearances: 144
37 per cent of the front-rower vote

Leeson Ah Mau is the definition of a gentle giant – quiet off the field but tough as an old leather boot on it. Ah Mau was a mainstay of the Dragons' front row rotation for the majority of the decade, earning the title as one of the competition's most consistent front-rowers. The 2015 Dragons Medallist deservingly earned caps for both Samoa and New Zealand while at the Dragons.

Michael Weyman (2009-13)
Dragons appearances: 93 (71 games in the 2010s)
32 per cent of the front-rower vote

The turn of the decade was the most memorable period of Michael Weyman's career. Not only did 'Horse' take part in the Dragons' 2010 premiership win, he also represented New South Wales and Australia. The proud South Coast product departed the Dragons for Super League outfit Hull KR in 2012 and has since had his own statue erected in his hometown of Moruya.

Hooker of the Decade
Cameron McInnes (2017-present)
Dragons appearances: 73
52 per cent of the hooker vote

Cameron McInnes won all four performance-based year-end awards in the space of his first three seasons at the Dragons: the Immortals Trophy (2017), Red V Members Player of the Year, Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy and Dragons Medal (all 2019). McInnes – proudly sponsored by Dincel Structural Walling – has built a reputation for his never-die-attitude and strong leadership; attributes that led the 26-year-old to become club captain in 2020.

Second-rowers of the Decade
Ben Creagh (2003-16)
Dragons appearances: 270 (141 games in the 2010s)
36 per cent of the second-rower vote

Nobody could have guessed that Ben Creagh would become one of the best Dragons back-rowers of all time upon debuting on the wing in 2003. A four-time Dragons Medal winner, including the grand final-winning season of 2010, Creagh recorded the second-most appearances of any St George, Illawarra or St George Illawarra player in history prior to his retirement in 2016.

Tyson Frizell (2013-present)
Dragons appearances: 146 (144 games in the 2010s)
31 per cent of the second-rower vote

You would be hard-pressed to find another second-rower who has had the same impact as Tyson Frizell in recent years. With a representative rap sheet that others dream of, his reputation for being one of the most damaging in the game is well deserved. Far from his quiet persona when he takes the field, Frizell – who is sponsored by Modus Projects – has had success with Australia, New South Wales, Country Origin and Wales, racking up 36 representative matches at just 28.

Lock of the Decade
Jack de Belin (2011-present)
Dragons appearances: 154
42 per cent of the lock vote

Jack de Belin's career took big strides in 2011 upon making his first grade debut and being named the Holden Cup Under-20s Player of the Year. De Belin became a permanent fixture of the Dragons' forward pack the year following, and has earned two Geoff Selby Memorial Trophies (2013-14) and the Immortals Trophy (2016) since. The equal-ninth most-capped player in joint-venture history remains at the club but hasn't donned the Red V in 18 months as a result of the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy.

Interchange:
Gareth Widdop (2014-19)
Dragons appearances: 125

Gareth Widdop joined the Dragons in 2014 and quickly became a fan favourite. That year he was awarded Red V Members' Player of the Year, a feat he repeated in 2015. A Dragons Medallist in 2017 and Immortals Trophy recipient in 2018, Widdop represented England and Great Britain a combined 20 times at the Dragons. The first (and only) Englishmen to score 1000 points in the NRL, Widdop sits at second on the joint-venture's all-time pointscorer list.

Dean Young (2003-12)
Dragons appearances: 209 (63 in the 2010s)

From his famous embrace with father Craig after winning the 2010 premiership to his current role as Dragons assistant coach, Dean Young is etched in Dragons history. The two-time Dragons Immortals Trophy recipient debuted in 2003; his career peaking at the turn of the decade when he scored a try in the Dragons’ premiership victory on his way to a Test debut for Australia. Young made his debut for New South Wales the year following before retirement called in 2012.

Paul Vaughan (2017-present)
Dragons appearances: 67 (65 games in the 2010s)

Paul Vaughan moved to the Dragons in 2017 and quickly become a showcase feature of the Dragons' pack. In his first year, Vaughan took out the Red V Members' Player of the Year and the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy. The Italian Stallion – proudly sponsored by Fox Property – has since earned two Kangaroos appearances and played every Origin for New South Wales since his debut in 2018.

Beau Scott (2007-12)
Dragons appearances: 118 (55 games in the 2010s)

Beau Scott carved out a reputation as one of the toughest men in rugby league while at the Dragons. The no-nonsense back-rower or centre joined the Dragons in 2007 and was a crucial cog in the club's 2010 grand final win. The three-time Geoff Selby Trophy recipient represented New South Wales times and Australia once, prior to his departure in 2012.

St George Illawarra Dragons' Team of the 2010s:
1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby (c)
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Michael Weyman
11. Ben Creagh
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jack de Belin

Interchange:
14. Gareth Widdop15. Dean Young16. Paul Vaughan17. Beau Scott

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/05/05/team-of-the-decade-2010s-determined/

draco

Juniors
'Jack's part of our top 30': Dragons defend de Belin bubble plan

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has defended the decision to include Jack de Belin in their COVID-19 bubble, declaring he's still a part of their top-30 NRL squad.

The future of the stood-down Dragons star is in limbo after the coronavirus pandemic delayed his rape trial until next month.

Yet the former State of Origin forward was still registered among the maximum 50 players and staff allowed access to training and game day.

McGregor said de Belin's inclusion left the door open for his possible return and would help his mental wellbeing.

"It's a combination of all that. But the most important thing, Jack's a part of our top 30," McGregor said on Friday.

"So the guidelines were he would still be included. He's got a court case coming up as we know in June, as well as the welfare around Jack."

The choice to keep de Belin came at the expense of a number of the Dragons' development players, including boom centre Shaun Sauni-Esau.

Rising winger Cody Ramsey, who shot to fame during February's NRL Nines, wasn't considered after having major shoulder surgery before the lockdown.

"We had to make a decision that three players miss out ... so making that phone call was difficult," McGregor said.

"To the players' credit, they really understood that it wasn't our decision. It was a decision from the NRL around the importance of trying to limit the coronavirus with minimal players and staff available."

McGregor also conceded their poor start to the season, along with the shortened schedule, meant he would approach the restart with a clean slate.

That includes the possibility of shelving pre-season plans to establish youngster Zac Lomax at fullback and instead push him back to the centres.

"We're two days into a three-week pre-season, so I'll have a better gauge next week in what sort of condition [players are in] after we do a lot of contact," he said

"But it's certainly a really nice headache to have with quality players available in the fullback position and the centre position as well.

"Being away from football for five weeks and picking it up again, you really want to simplify the game. So there'll be some tweaks in our system."

Plans have also begun on how the club will use the salary cap space left by Tyson Frizell's decision to leave the club at season's end.

First-grade regulars James Graham and Tim Lafai are also off-contract, as well as Euan Aitken and de Belin.

The club re-signed promising forward Jackson Ford during the shutdown, and have been impressed with summer recruit Tyrell Fuimaono.

"[Ford] finished the season playing the last five games last year, and he's a likely replacement [for Frizell] right now going forward," McGregor said.

"Tyrell we signed this year, he played round two against Penrith and was one of the better players on the football field.

"So they're two players currently in our squad that we look forward to fill that Tyson position."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jack-s-part-of-our-top-30-dragons-defend-de-belin-bubble-plan-20200508-p54r4p.html

jak

Bench
From todays SMH ....................

McGregor says he's committed.
I say he's a committed ratbag.

'I'm committed': McGregor digs in at Dragons as pressure builds before Panthers clash

Paul McGregor says he is "committed" to his role as Dragons coach after an underwhelming performance in round one raised further questions about his future.

The Dragons lost 24-14 at home to a dominant Wests Tigers - a far from ideal start to the season for McGregor, who is desperate to prove his worth after a 2019 review spared him from the axe despite the club finishing 15th.

every player in the competition for COVID-19 in a move that could bring the season to a grinding halt.

"They understand the difficulty around the situation with what's going on," McGregor said. "We're listening, we're learning. We're putting best practice into everything we do at training, and certainly the players know about hygiene and isolation."

McGregor said the start of the season was "very important" for his players in proving their worth, and was determined to not be "chasing teams" after a couple of early losses.

RELATED ARTICLE

EXCLUSIVE
NRL 2020

NRL season to go on the line with players blanket tested for COVID-19
"We put ourselves in a position to win the game multiple times [last week] but we just didn't," McGregor said. "It's about improving on round one and going out in the best possible way of winning round two and that's what we've done this week, is prepare well to play well."

The Dragons boss made the difficult call to punt Zac Lomax back to the wing after the round one loss, reinstating Matt Dufty at fullback. McGregor said he made the call on Dufty after seeing an "attitude shift" in the 24-year-old.

"He's gone from a person that didn't really like too much training to owning training," McGregor said. "Certainly his values around the team about what needs to be done has improved our side so I'm looking for Dufty to go out there and really be exciting."

The Panthers are shaping as one of the strongest clubs in the competition after pulling off a huge upset in round one by defeating the defending champions.

Tariq Sims' one-game suspension for a shoulder charge means Tyrell Fuimaono will come into the starting side, with the Red V still without their captain Cameron McInnes due to a knee injury. He is looking to return in round eight.
should be committed

Latest posts