What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Players Demand 'Less Kearney' & Coaching Changes

Iron Lion

Juniors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...s-players-get-more-say-over-tactics-and-style

The Warriors have spoken and Stephen Kearney has listened. And now the pressure is on the players to back up all the talk.

Changes are afoot at Mt Smart.

Off the back of another disappointing campaign in 2019, the Warriors coaches knew they had to change things this season.

And so did the players, who late last year approached Kearney and his staff about improvements they felt were needed across the board from training down to their style of play.

Senior forward Adam Blair told NZME the players "recognised it late in the [2019] season but by then it was a bit too late to change. We sat down as a playing group, put it forward to the coaches and [they] really actioned what we wanted, so credit to them."

"Everyone was a part of it ... not only the leaders," Blair said. "We all sat down together, spoke about what worked and what needs to change and they sat down over the break and actioned it in November."

More ball movement more often, with a focus on speed and power has been the tale of this pre-season.

And there's a noticeable buzz around training as the side look ahead to the upcoming NRL Nines and trial matches before round one (March 14).

1581447368098.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Adam Blair says this has been the most enjoyable pre-season of his long and decorated career.
Everyone could see adjustments were needed, but speaking to media on Tuesday Kearney spoke of how proud he was that calls for that came from within the playing group, while also holding them accountable for what's to come.

"I listened to the collective group across the whole (football) department. We all recognised parts of our game that needed to improve and we've been working really hard at that," Kearney said.

"From them (the players) it was mostly about our game style and training accordingly for that. It wasn't rocket science, and we took on the feedback. I have no problem making some adjustments so long as they knew there is an expectation now if we do so to live up to that, and so far they have."

1581447368098.jpg

GETTY
Stephen Kearney has a 42% winning record with the Warriors.
Kearney is a man under pressure.

His 42 per cent win record at the Warriors will not cut it forever and he knows the team have to be better - but what he also knows is it doesn't all have to come from him.

Through both Kearney's playing years and his time coaching in the famed Melbourne Storm system, he said he has seen the benefits player-driven changes can have on a club.

And by being open to making adjustments the players themselves have suggested, there is now clear accountability and an expectation to execute.

1581447368098.jpg

PHOTOSPORT
Young-gun Isaiah Papali'i will captain the Warriors at the NRL Nines, in Perth.
"In my playing days there was some pretty strong characters too, I'm pretty sure Matthew Ridge got what he wanted most of the time," Kearney said, rather tongue in cheek.

"Look I was very fortunate to work under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne and see first-hand the influence a leadership group can have on the whole club.

"I was impressed that the boys came forward the way they did, it shows they have a real care for this club and there are adjustments they feel will help us move forward.

"I've already seen the benefits of it at training and now it's about showing us in that game situation. And in a modified sense, we wil get to see that this weekend."

The Warriors are off to compete in the NRL Nines in Perth this weekend, which more than anything will be a chance for some of the club's rising stars to showcase their ability.

Though it is a different format, it will also give a small insight into the style of game fans can expect to see from the Kiwi club this year and to exactly what effect these changes are set to have.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I want to hear it’s been the toughest pre-season ever... although that’s usually a lie anyway

DuggyB

Juniors
From what I'm reading and hearing maybe its the smartest preseason ever-who knows?Kearney says we will see elements of the new approach at the nines.I will watch with interest.

This will be interesting.
Defense needs to be structured and lots of communications.

Attack can be a bit more eyes up football, but set plays still needed.

You have to be able to harness and improve the talent of the players you have and not try to turn them into something they are not. That's the issue I believe we have.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The proof will be in the pudding when his job is on the line after a month or so of poor results and if he reverts back to type or not

Diesel

Referee
Kearney’s made this decision and he lives by it. I hope for his sake and ours, we have a ripper of a season. I also hope we cut the deadwood from the squad that hasn’t performed over the past 2-3 seasons, and the ones playing for their future and have one good season can piss off

Latest posts