What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

LineBall

Juniors
Other clubs are not stopping Catalan signing Folau. They have let Catalan know that if it costs them money, they'll be letting them know.

If you throw stuff in the river and it affects people downstream, you can be sure those affected will be asking for compensation.

If Catalan want to take that risk, that's their choice.

Yes, but aren't they proposing that in future, clubs will be allowed to band together to stop another club signing a player they deem unfit to play in the competition?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This line at the end tells me you are not winning. There is a reason RA had to pay him out. The reason is because they were not lawfully entitled under employment law to take the action they did, no matter what Alan Joyce might have thought.

I firmly believe sporting bodies entering into the field of morality police is a bad development.
No, you're just conflating the wrong things, and assuming things about the RA/Folau matter.

"No matter what Alan Joyce may have thought" is at odds with your previous position that you are certain he 'leaned on' RA to sack him though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes, but aren't they proposing that in future, clubs will be allowed to band together to stop another club signing a player they deem unfit to play in the competition?
No, that's the Super League board:

“The Super League Board accepts the legalities around the RFL’s decision to register Israel Folau, and the Board has voted unanimously to put in place measures that ensure the Super League has greater authority to stop controversial signings such as this in the future.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1255/statement-israel-folau

I don't know where this "clubs banding together" thing is from - what I've seen is clubs backing KR's position of taking legal action against Catalans should there be adverse impacts to their clubs.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
BTW as a player very Valentine.

Great wingers, very good finishers, good hands.

Not a fullbacks arsehole.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No.

The League (Super League) that will make that decision. The same as the NRL, they can refuse to register contracts. That's what came out the recent meeting in Salford, post link here: https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...urns-to-the-nrl.452657/page-121#post-13985723

I found that I needed to read past the first couple of paragraphs. The Clubs voted on it but the authority falls to Super League.

The Super League chief executive, Robert Elstone, made a statement following a four-hour meeting at Salford’s AJ Bell Stadium pleading for the focus to be shifted to the on-field action and away from Folau’s transfer. It stressed that measures are now in place for Super League to block such signings.

“The Super League board accepts the legalities around the RFL’s decision to register Israel Folau,” he said, “and the board has voted unanimously to put in place measures that ensure the Super League has greater authority to stop controversial signings such as this in the future.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't already in place.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I am happy with a clause.

If you decide to contract a player who has been expelled from another sport, all must agree.
What about charity events?
I'm thinking of Ben Johnson, he was banned after testing positive in 1988 Olympics. He later raise money for charity racing against horses and stock cars. Must have been rough.

THE CHAMP

First Grade

“The Super League Board accepts the legalities around the RFL’s decision to register Israel Folau, and the Board has voted unanimously to put in place measures that ensure the Super League has greater authority to stop controversial signings such as this in the future.

I don't know where this "clubs banding together" thing is from - what I've seen is clubs backing KR's position of taking legal action against Catalans should there be adverse impacts to their clubs.

If folaus signing increases ticket sales will they be handing over any extra income?

LineBall

Juniors

No.

The League (Super League) that will make that decision. The same as the NRL, they can refuse to register contracts. That's what came out the recent meeting in Salford, post link here: https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...urns-to-the-nrl.452657/page-121#post-13985723

I found that I needed to read past the first couple of paragraphs. The Clubs voted on it but the authority falls to Super League.

The Super League chief executive, Robert Elstone, made a statement following a four-hour meeting at Salford’s AJ Bell Stadium pleading for the focus to be shifted to the on-field action and away from Folau’s transfer. It stressed that measures are now in place for Super League to block such signings.

“The Super League board accepts the legalities around the RFL’s decision to register Israel Folau,” he said, “and the board has voted unanimously to put in place measures that ensure the Super League has greater authority to stop controversial signings such as this in the future.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't already in place.

I stand corrected. I thought the clubs had the say, rather than the board.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If Maria costs them a sponsor, will her husband pay the difference?

Well the kickby admins................

Latest posts