What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smirrors

Juniors
Clubs are allowed to sign virtually anyone they want. The NRL stops players they believe will hurt the club and the NRL from signing a contract (i.e. Carney). The club therefore wears the punishment for one of their players falling out of line. I dont think the NRL will want responsibility for players bad behavior at the end of the day.

This is similar to Catalan Dragons signing Folau. If he stuffs up I am sure the club will be punished for it.

Smirrors

Juniors
So Saints will pay him all this cash to sit out as well as train with the boys and if he gets off your saying JDB will leave for another club to get a fresh start? Do you really think he would do such a thing? Surely he will stay on for life seeing they stuck by him. If they threw him out and cashed in on his salary for another player then sure why wouldn't he leave but I just can't see him leaving if he wins. Saints have really taken a huge hit for this guy so he owes them a huge load of gratitude. I know I would be loyal if in that position and come out innocent. If anything he SHOULD take a pay cut to stay for life.

If he is innocent then he deserved all the money in that contract regardless if he played or not. The club is legally bound to stick by him, even more so if he's innocent. He doesn't owe the club anything. The NRL may even owe him money for lost wages (rep games and endorsements) for standing him down. And he lost the potential to get one big final contract.

Why should he take a pay cut in his prime as a rep player? He should be demanding market value and nothing less. Assuming he maintains all his skills, he took a two year break so his body would be fresher than his 29 year old age would suggest.

Best case I am hoping if hes innocent that its proven at least mid way through the year. It will give himself an opportunity to show he still has it and the club will know whether hes going to be worth the 500Kpa that he will demand for the next 3 years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It should never have come to this. The NRL is deciding to stand JDB down should have taken all responsibility for his contract, including financial responsibility. From the time JDB was stood down, his salary cap allocaton should not be fully compensated in order that a replacement be recruited until a verdict his delivered by the court.

This I 100% agree with, and its the overall failure of the stand down policy imo. Once the severity of the charges were revealed the NRL (a) should have stood the player down, to which i have no issue with, and (b) immediately offered the salary compensation to ths club concerned instead of the club having to apply for it.
A case involving a judge and jury doesnt happen quickly (as we are finding out) and if, by any reason, the case is dismissed or charges dropped, the player should return immediatelybto pkay and the extra player maintained until that seasons end.

That would have been tidier and neater than the current system.

Gareth67

First Grade
So if the NRL are standing him down for commercial reasons and for moral reasons, then they need to take full responsibility for their decision/action.

Possum old mate , my post was in reference to O.T.’s post where he suggested that perhaps there was also another aspect that is taken into consideration by the courts when one admits guilt - that being the time factor .

The LEGAL system therefore reduces the punishment for the offense , the point being that it is done out of sheer necessity because of the high volume of other cases awaiting to be heard .

The term ‘ commercial ‘ was merely a bad choice of words . It has nothing to do with the NRL whatsoever, only the legal system .

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If he is innocent then he deserved all the money in that contract regardless if he played or not. The club is legally bound to stick by him, even more so if he's innocent. He doesn't owe the club anything. The NRL may even owe him money for lost wages (rep games and endorsements) for standing him down. And he lost the potential to get one big final contract.

Why should he take a pay cut in his prime as a rep player? He should be demanding market value and nothing less. Assuming he maintains all his skills, he took a two year break so his body would be fresher than his 29 year old age would suggest.

Best case I am hoping if hes innocent that its proven at least mid way through the year. It will give himself an opportunity to show he still has it and the club will know whether hes going to be worth the 500Kpa that he will demand for the next 3 years.

I think the current delays are making a mockery of the so-called, No Fault stand down policy.
Whether JDB is inocent or guilty is not the issue here.

It is the fact that he is unable to ply his trade whilst the law can do whatever it likes, over whatever duration it likes.

How long is a piece of string?

JDB future in all facets, is dependant on a complete unkown.
That is wrong.
The nrl completely stuffed this up ........... and to suit their needs alone.

Beattie completely threw JDB under the bus.
Greenburg has ensured that the bus isn't going anywhere soon.
From our clubs' perspective, the carnage is there for all to see.

The nrl have bent over backwards to Souths and East but have totally screwed us.

If ever we needed a CEO with some backbone, its been now.
We have Johnston ............... what a complete f@%k up!

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL player Jack de Belin's sex assault trial delayed
By William Hogan
1:19pm Feb 13, 2020

NRL player Jack de Belin's court case has been adjourned until at least April, putting his playing future in doubt.
The sudden illness of a prominent witness in the pre-trial legal argument, whose name has been suppressed by Wollongong court, forced Judge Andrew Haesler to end proceedings today.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ff005f975-c8f2-404c-9fb3-b7d889abceff

St George Illawarra Dragons player, De Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair are accused of sexually assaulting a woman inside a North Wollongong unit during a night out December 2018. (Nine)
Judge Haeslar received medical certificates confirming the person was ill and unable to give evidence.
Judge Haeslar ruled to further delay the case in hope of resolving the pre-trial legal issues, which cannot be published for legal reasons.
The case was adjourned to April 8 for the continuation of the legal argument.
St George Illawarra Dragons player, De Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair are accused of sexually assaulting a woman inside a North Wollongong unit during a night out December 2018.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/j...llongong/4cee988f-e55b-43a7-91d0-bdcd19a38f25

st george sam

Juniors
By William Hogan

NRL player Jack de Belin's court case has been adjourned until at least April, putting his playing future in doubt.
The sudden illness of a prominent witness in the pre-trial legal argument, whose name has been suppressed by Wollongong court, forced Judge Andrew Haesler to end proceedings today.

St George Illawarra Dragons player, De Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair are accused of sexually assaulting a woman inside a North Wollongong unit during a night out December 2018. (Nine)
Judge Haeslar received medical certificates confirming the person was ill and unable to give evidence.
Judge Haeslar ruled to further delay the case in hope of resolving the pre-trial legal issues, which cannot be published for legal reasons.
St George Illawarra Dragons player, De Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair are accused of sexually assaulting a woman inside a North Wollongong unit during a night out December 2018.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/j...llongong/4cee988f-e55b-43a7-91d0-bdcd19a38f25

Reported on 7 news that pre trial continues April with the trial starting in August apparently the players union are highlighting the unfairness of the stand down rule.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I'm starting to become cynical about this whole process...maybe certain parties know what the outcome will be and are deliberately delaying proceedings in order to maximise contract payments prior to the curtain coming down!!!!

Timmay

Juniors
I'm starting to become cynical about this whole process...maybe certain parties know what the outcome will be and are deliberately delaying proceedings in order to maximise contract payments prior to the curtain coming down!!!!
Relax mate, it's just the way things are in District Court trials.

As stated, Cross-eyed Jack is fortunate to be in the community on bail. A lot of blokes aren't that fortunate.

As of May 2017 the median time between arrest and trial finalisation is now 714 days (up from 512 days in 2012).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think the current delays are making a mockery of the so-called, No Fault stand down policy.

It is the fact that he is unable to ply his trade whilst the law can do whatever it likes, over whatever duration it likes.
And how is that any different to someone who is remanded in custody awaiting trial?

Just because someone can play football better than the average Joe doesn’t afford them any special benefit.

Not withstanding the nail element, but there are many professions where a stand down with full pay whilst awaiting trial is implemented.

I’m sorry if it interrupts your enjoyment of football, but the NRL isn’t above the law.

Gardenia

Juniors

Gardenia

Juniors
By William Hogan

Is he smiling or just nervous? Odd to grin if that’s what he’s doing ???

SnowDragon

Juniors
And how is that any different to someone who is remanded in custody awaiting trial?

Just because someone can play football better than the average Joe doesn’t afford them any special benefit.

Not withstanding the nail element, but there are many professions where a stand down with full pay whilst awaiting trial is implemented.

I’m sorry if it interrupts your enjoyment of football, but the NRL isn’t above the law.

If he is guilty the dragons have paid him and been disrupted etc. Not an option for them and it’s an effect of slow legal system. Your right no different to any situation.

For me the problem is that they as an employer did NOT make the decision. The NRL made the decision and post implemented it. At the same time, they force the club to cover costs and as pointed out by Old Kogarah Boy, made the process more costly and difficult for the club to recover and perform on an even footing with other clubs. That’s pure BS to me. If they want to do this, they should be doing all they can to stop the club being effected. (It would be different if the club was anyway at fault, but it was outside work hours, the player was given education etc).

If he is not guilty (and found so), the situation for the club is similar but the player has grounds for being more than upset from my point of view. Again from the clubs point of view in this case there can be absolutely nothing shown that they did wrong, but they have been clearly disadvantaged. The fact that the legal system takes time absolutely needs to be taken into account due to the effect it has.

for extreme cases no bail would be given and this would stop the player for playing.
If not, I can accept a stand down, but the party who enforces it should pay and take full responsibility.

BLM01

First Grade
Shit tie too. Could be more to the story we don’t know in regards to the mystery witness. Or that could have been a really opportunistic photo right after someone cracked a joke.
Yes. MYSTERY is a misleading word. media can't get confirmation who is supposedly I'll and forced a delay to even get to a pre-trial. Hmmm...I just wonder who it is.
It is eating away at the media. They hate it cause it is like dangling a bit of meat just out of reach of a hungry lion.

BLM01

First Grade

How long is a piece of string?

JDB future in all facets, is dependant on a complete unkown.
That is wrong.
The nrl completely stuffed this up ........... and to suit their needs alone.

Beattie completely threw JDB under the bus.
Greenburg has ensured that the bus isn't going anywhere soon.
From our clubs' perspective, the carnage is there for all to see.

The nrl have bent over backwards to Souths and East but have totally screwed us.

If ever we needed a CEO with some backbone, its been now.
We have Johnston ............... what a complete f@%k up!
This time I disagree OKB
We forget reaity and JDB wanting to apply his trade playing NRL should be the last thing on JDB's and NRLs. Mind ATM. JDB focus is facing allegations of charges head on unfortunately for however long it takes. He Why should the NRL help him or our club out. He is responsible for himself and the Dragons responsibility whilst under contract and we could of suspended him on full pay and still offered him ful support from Day 1 until whichever comes 1st
A) final verdict or result of charges known or resolution of case
B) his contract expires
And applied for salary cap dispensation also from Day 1

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Is he smiling or just nervous? Odd to grin if that’s what he’s doing ???
I'm surprised someone didn't bring up his choice of tie. These are the big issues after all.

Edit:
Shit tie too. Could be more to the story we don’t know in regards to the mystery witness. Or that could have been a really opportunistic photo right after someone cracked a joke.
The tie, the grin.. it's all starting to come together.

Last edited:

Dragons154

Juniors
If found innocent I hope he takes the NRL for an absolute row! Which ever way the outcome falls his Footy playing days are all but behind him. 2 full seasons out of the game is an absolute eternity for a player, not even mentioning the mental toll this would have had on him.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
This time I disagree OKB
We forget reaity and JDB wanting to apply his trade playing NRL should be the last thing on JDB's and NRLs. Mind ATM. JDB focus is facing allegations of charges head on unfortunately for however long it takes. He Why should the NRL help him or our club out. He is responsible for himself and the Dragons responsibility whilst under contract and we could of suspended him on full pay and still offered him ful support from Day 1 until whichever comes 1st
A) final verdict or result of charges known or resolution of case
B) his contract expires
And applied for salary cap dispensation also from Day 1

All good, mate.
I guess my main bone of contention is the fact that the nrl don’t seem to have covered all bases.
They’ve helped themselves but not the club or player.
As you say, the player has a responsibility as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.