What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Happy MEel

First Grade
But then how do you get rid of the green tree pythons?
FFS. Honey badgers of course.

images

Wrong. There are an increase of midlatitude (aka extratropical aka ex-tropical) cyclones due to climate change. Conversely there is a marked decrease in tropical cyclones.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...on_Autumn_North_Atlantic_Midlatitude_Cyclones

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/climatology/trends.shtml

What's the got to do with us, or what's off the East Cost?

Your post - A cyclone! CLIMATE CHANGE!

Your evidence - ...less...cyclones near Australia.....?

So...your evidence that the weather off the east coast of Australia is due to climate change is that there are...less...cyclones but there are more...in the North Atlantic...which Australia has nothing to do with? And which neither of your references link to each other...so why reference the North Atlantic?

So, basically you're just making stuff up and contradicting yourself while doing it.

Let's go back to AR5, shall we?

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

"Current data sets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century and it remains uncertain whether any reported long-term increases in tropical cyclone frequency are robust"

As for you cherry picking one paper that you found after searching Google for 5 seconds, that proposes an increase in trend in the North Atlantic (that has nothing to do with the weather that is occurring off the east cost of Australia...):

"No robust trends in annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have been identified over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin"

So, basically, you have your typical leftoid knee-jerk alarmism reaction to a weather event that you know nothing about, scream CLIMATE CHANGE!!! and then get called on it, so you scramble for some "proof" (anything!!! anything!!!) and end up making a goose of yourself because your proof is either totally unrelated (North Atlantic) or actually contradicts your "point" (BOM data), and then - shock, horror - you get schooled by me, again.

Don't worry, Gronky...no one is surprised.

Gronk

Staff member
What's the got to do with us, or what's off the East Cost?

Your post - A cyclone! CLIMATE CHANGE!

Your evidence - ...less...cyclones near Australia.....?

So...your evidence that the weather off the east coast of Australia is due to climate change is that there are...less...cyclones but there are more...in the North Atlantic...which Australia has nothing to do with? And which neither of your references link to each other...so why reference the North Atlantic?

So, basically you're just making stuff up and contradicting yourself while doing it.

Let's go back to AR5, shall we?

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

"Current data sets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century and it remains uncertain whether any reported long-term increases in tropical cyclone frequency are robust"

As for you cherry picking one paper that you found after searching Google for 5 seconds, that proposes an increase in trend in the North Atlantic (that has nothing to do with the weather that is occurring off the east cost of Australia...):

"No robust trends in annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have been identified over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin"

So, basically, you have your typical leftoid knee-jerk alarmism reaction to a weather event that you know nothing about, scream CLIMATE CHANGE!!! and then get called on it, so you scramble for some "proof" (anything!!! anything!!!) and end up making a goose of yourself because your proof is either totally unrelated (North Atlantic) or actually contradicts your "point" (BOM data), and then - shock, horror - you get schooled by me, again.

Don't worry, Gronky...no one is surprised.

Ok midlatitude cyclones occur both north and south of the tropics. The occur in the *midlatitudes*. So it is not in any way unrelated when you reflect on the data.

By the way, your use of sarcasm undermines your argument and exposes your soft underbelly of doubt.

Anywhere from Parramata onwards to city. 10-20%
House prices in Parra went up 20%
Out west (emu plains)about 2-4%
Mountains stable - Bushfires prob scared people a little.

And the next question is - where is that data from?

As I've already mentioned in the last chat on this, CoreLogic data is now very questionable.

Also, and I think I mentioned this last year, I expected a small rise in the first half of this year on the back of the new First Home Buyers grant. but that's limited, and will be used up fairly quickly, so we'll see the effects die off by mid-year.

Ok midlatitude cyclones occur both north and south of the tropics. The occur in the *midlatitudes*. So it is not in any way unrelated when you reflect on the data.

By the way, your use of sarcasm undermines your argument and exposes your soft underbelly of doubt.

Oh, the one thing I don't have is doubt.

Mincing words doesn't get you away from the truth, Gronky. I'll add you to the list, now:
  • Low confidence = more likely than not;
  • Plants will die from excessive carbon dioxide;
  • The carbon dioxide is killing the bees;
  • Demanding sources then posting screenshots without sources;
  • There's a cyclone! Climate change! Less cyclones = climate change!
Keep 'em comin', boys.

Gronk

Staff member
Oh, the one thing I don't have is doubt.

Mincing words doesn't get you away from the truth, Gronky. I'll add you to the list, now:
  • Low confidence = more likely than not;
  • Plants will die from excessive carbon dioxide;
  • The carbon dioxide is killing the bees;
  • Demanding sources then posting screenshots without sources;
  • There's a cyclone! Climate change! Less cyclones = climate change!
Keep 'em comin', boys.

Blame shifting, minimisation, ridicule and deflection are all smokescreens for a weak position.

hindy111

Post Whore

As I've already mentioned in the last chat on this, CoreLogic data is now very questionable.

Also, and I think I mentioned this last year, I expected a small rise in the first half of this year on the back of the new First Home Buyers grant. but that's limited, and will be used up fairly quickly, so we'll see the effects die off by mid-year.

Myself going to Auctions and open houses nearly every Saturday for the last 6mth. Putting properties down in my diary, sold prices, land size, condition of house etc.

Sure out in Penrith and mountains thing have not moved a whole lot. Like I said about 3%. Inner west 15%-20% Same as Parra.
Units have not risen a whole lot but stil 5-8% in better locations.

I got f**ked hard. I just sold a property and had just enough funds to purchase where I wanted to live and things went up 150k + so you can imahine how depressing it is for me to expereince it first hand.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member

The FHOG has been around for 20 years, so it is not new.

There is however a First Home Loan Deposit Scheme (FHLDS) whereby first home owners can buy on just 5% deposit and avoid paying LMI because the remaining 5% is underwritten by the NHIFC. It's the loan deposit scheme which is limited to places.

hindy111

Post Whore
The FHOG has been around for 20 years, so it is not new.

There is however a First Home Loan Deposit Scheme (FHLDS) whereby first home owners can buy on just 5% deposit and avoid paying LMI because the remaining 5% is underwritten by the NHIFC. It's the loan deposit scheme which is limited to places.

And only on properties under by memory 700k in Sydney. 600k in Melbourne and less in other states.Most are buying out of major cities meaning no effect at all on house prices. And limited to first 10,000.

Latest posts