What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

Gareth67

First Grade
Comes across as being level headed and also realizes that he needs to take it one step at a time. Watching his highlights reel you can see that he not only has great attacking skills , but can tackle also - a bonus there .

Hopefully he continues on in the manner that he has played last year and bulks up a bit and we will have ourselves yet another young player with tremendous potential - the trick is of course is to sign the young fella for a couple of years before the hawks dive in to take him to another club. Would make great material to work with for our next coach .

watatank

Coach
He will be interesting to watch in the nines but looks like he needs to develop physically before we start to talk about seriously playing first grade. Playing a handful of Canterbury cup games during the year seems a reasonable goal

Bench
All he needs to give him a chance, the club should go and get the rules how to implement a pathway transition, not just him, butt there are others that should apply to also.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Agreed. How tall is he off the top of the head samy?

Mate I would think he is about 188cm and 85kg. That is not official. I'm not sure of his correct weight, but I have seen him once or twice is not a very big. He certainly need some filling out. But looking at in this year he already seems to be filling out very well.
George may no more

getsmarty

Immortal
February 13 2020 - 3:15PM
Cody Ramsey's Dragons debut might not be too far away
r0_244_2810_1824_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OVER THE LINE: Cody Ramsey lining up for the Dragons in the under 20s competition in 2019. Photo: Gregg Porteous/NRL Imagery

From Molong to Wollongong, Cody Ramsey has always been at the top of the class.

He dominated for the Cabonne Roos as a junior, made waves at CYMS and Hawks and took to the Woodbridge Cup under 19s and seniors well under-age, and continued his dominance as the player of the year in the under 20s for the Dragons at Illawarra in 2019.

And now he's jumping to the next level.

Ramsey will line up for the Dragons in this weekend's NRL Nines at Perth as part of a young St George-Illawarra squad.

He'll have the chance to line up alongside new St George-Illawarra captain Cameron McInnes, who's recovered from his broken leg, who'll lead a squad headlined by Nines internationals Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell (Australia), Tim Lafai (Samoa) and Brayden Wiliame (Fiji).

However, the bulk of the squad will be young players looking to make their mark, with Ramsey, Adam Clune and Jayden Sullivan to be joined by young guns Jason Saab and Tristan Sailor.

While Ramsey has been one of the fittest on the track for the Dragons in his first pre-season, he told the Dragons website he was still finding it "pretty tough".

"Waking up early I was used to but my body wasn't used to doing all that work but now I'm feeling pretty good, the boys have got around me," he said.

"I'm pretty competitive when it comes to fitness so I pride myself on it."

He said he wasn't expecting the Dragons under 20s fullback role to land in his lap last year, but took his chance with two hands and ran with it, snaffling the award for player of the year in the process, despite illness in the middle of the year.

"I was just competing ... they gave me the chance to slip in that role and I think i fitted in pretty well," he said.

"We were going pretty good at start, our consistency was up and down, we had a slump halfway but we got back on our horse and did well but just got slipped in the final and that was unlucky."

As for 2020, Ramsey wants to put his head down and get what he can done.

"I'll see how I go, just keep playing consistent football, start this year how I finished last year," he said.

https://www.centralwesterndaily.com...ons-ahead-of-his-chance-on-nines-stage/?cs=12

Frank Facer

First Grade
This thread certainly needs a bump. Maybe change it to the Bjorn Borg thread.

Ramsey looks even better than I thought he was. I thought he looked best suited to wing, but after the 9's, I am now thinking that he could be our long term fullback. He certainly has the speed and X factor that is required for fullback these days. When I first watch a highlights video of him, I saw shades of Billy Slater, especially how he could beat his man with raw speed.

Last year, I do recall George Dragon saying that he thought Ramsey would be our future fullback. We have a new cult hero.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I've never seen Cody play but I am pretty sure he is the next Kaylan Ponga.
I think he should start at fullback this year and during origin lomax can slot in at 1 whilst Cody is on origin duties.
Did you see Cody play in the 9's? Do you still think he is the next Kaylan Ponga or the next Billy Slater. I say Slater.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Clearly the guy needs more time for the body to strengthen up, but it’s very tempting to give him a run even if it means upgrading his contract (development play right?)

similar position to Saab in that respect.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Give Cody time he will make it and be a very good Nrl player.
It's easy to get carried away by the performances I want to see how it goes in the cc Cup and reevaluating after 5 weeks but he does need to be upgraded

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
I did not watch the nines but i have seen footage of this kid. He is quality with no fear.
I would have no hesitation naming him on the wing in first grade.
If he is good enough pick him.

giboz71

First Grade
We should be spending time to develop Ramsey, Saab and Sailor.

In a backline full of slugs, these guys are our only hope to having some sort of strike in our backline.

Sailor still has plenty of work to do with defence, but has all the tools to be fullback.

Saab needs to work on his finishing and his pace off the mark. Takes too much time to get going, needs more explosiveness. He has the body, the coaches just need to work with him.

Ramsay can be anything, but still very young. We should be aiming to give him a wing spot in NRL some stage during the year.