What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Touch judge ruins Nines

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Unpopular opinion, 9s rugby league is shit.

Pretty sure that's a sweeping and populist opinion. Or it should be.

I bet clubs f*cking hate it. I don't hate it, because that would require me to give one f**k about it.

The only way I'd care if if someone bought me a corporate box pass. And even then I'd get home hammered, not having watched.

Grapple

Bench
I haven't read the thread because it's 4 pages and only 2 i can manage, however i think The Nines competition is missing a trick. The real news is unearthing the next level talent.

Fox did well in talking up the Cowboys and Dragons speedsters. NRL should follow suit to bring back people to the game. Forget the farce of this T20 version of NRL that is the nines, and use it as showcase for genuine un-recruited, undeveloped, raw talent, mixed with a few regular players and old timers. Get the fans excited for potential and reliving the glory days. Get them buying in now and celebrating the past. That's what ol' mate Grapple would do.

Smack

Coach
Look I’m sure Dragon supporters will just take it on the chin if they get robbed on a decision in a game in the NRL that costs them the 2 points or even in a finals game..........

They are very philosophical about it in their forum.

giphy.gif

Xcalibre

Juniors
It was the highlight of the tournament tbh. It was such a bad decision and so far from a legit try, it was hilarious.

It does concern me as a fan going forward that they could get such an obvious call wrong though. I could tell he was out from a similar angle the touchy had. They probably didn’t listen to her because she’s not a man.

Vee

First Grade
My blame is 100% on the ingoal judge. Touchie was obscured, ref was probably still coming igj had one OFJ!

siv

First Grade
My blame is 100% on the ingoal judge. Touchie was obscured, ref was probably still coming igj had one OFJ!

Agree was a ingoal touch judge call

but if you look at it from behind the posts you probably can't tell

For corner post calls the camera has the best view and there are so many items in motion. Arm legs ball and we have a clear line to rule on - rather than blurry vision

Corner post calls is the one time in a game where video is better than human call

franklin2323

Immortal
It was the highlight of the tournament tbh. It was such a bad decision and so far from a legit try, it was hilarious.

It does concern me as a fan going forward that they could get such an obvious call wrong though. I could tell he was out from a similar angle the touchy had. They probably didn’t listen to her because she’s not a man.

That is the thing. 9’s are some fun and mean nothing for what will come in the season proper but the officals are the same that will be making those calls in September.

so need to get their act together looked nothing like a try in normal speed or slowed down

LineBall

Juniors
IMO this was more the in-goal judge's call. The touch judge from that position would have been obstructed with regards to the put down.

I would still rather see the NRL reffed like the 9's, with the bunker only used when a captain challenges a call. This would have been the perfect example of how that could have worked.

Frailty

First Grade
Ruined the nines?

It improved it. Got rid of Penrith, Dragons benefit again because they're allowed outside the touchlines, and everyone else was just laughing.

For the record, the touch judge had an obstructed view and it was the in goal judge that should wear the criticism.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Main issue is even though it was a prerty badly run comp there were plenty of highlights to show off the brand to the the country and overseas but the replay the majority of people would have seen the most was this call.

Great look for the NRL

Dragonwest

Juniors
Just because no one has mentioned it ... Under the new rule where you can't tackle the attacking player in the air would it be considered a penalty or penalty try this year?

siv

First Grade
There were a few line ball items like that

Refs seem to be ignoring the situation unless obvious or careless

Latest posts