What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
When was the last time we saw Mansour running in open space like he did in the nines? Serious cobwebs right there.

Looked a bit slower. He will really need to work hard for his spot.

You’d want to see improvement even slightly over the next few weeks

Kilkenny

Coach
I said it time and time again during off season discussion we lack a genuine speedster and strike player in our outside backs. I know the 9’s largely means nothing but it probably just re-enforced some of our outside backs are seriously slow and it will be an issue for us during the course of 2020.

10Grand

Juniors
Mansour was a beast b4 he got that fractured face,his also lost speed and now every dick is running around him,he can't jump either which doesn't help his wing play..his days are numbered esp if we are losing,tough call for Ivan to make because his a wonderful member of the playing squad and a gr8 bloke.

Fangs

Coach
You’d want to see improvement even slightly over the next few weeks

Has to be safe, no errors. Big carries out of our end +100m every game a must. I don't think he will get any faster but his experience will be valuable. He needs to be a much better finisher. He won't create much for himself so if he gets even half a chance he has to take advantage of it. He got limited chances last year but I remember a few that he blew.

Stephen Crichton looked good under the high ball. Pressure is on Sauce and Whare to an extent (I think he is safe tbh).

franklin2323

Immortal
Has to be safe, no errors. Big carries out of our end +100m every game a must. I don't think he will get any faster but his experience will be valuable. He needs to be a much better finisher. He won't create much for himself so if he gets even half a chance he has to take advantage of it. He got limited chances last year but I remember a few that he blew.

Stephen Crichton looked good under the high ball. Pressure is on Sauce and Whare to an extent (I think he is safe tbh).

Where our back 3 are good are coming off the line and starting sets well. You don’t see that in 9’s he looked fitter is all you can take from it

Mansour could be in even bigger trouble this year with the change to the rule about tackling in the air. He’s a bad defender of the high ball as is, expect the opposition will pepper him with even more kicks now that he can’t tackle the attacking player in the air.

I’d be surprised if he was in the starting team come the second half of the season.

In fact I wouldn’t even have Mansour there from round 1

Edwards
Naden
Chrichton
Whare
To’o

Whare & Mansour in the same team means we have two guys who are zero attacking threats. I don’t think we can afford that. And Mansour is a defensive liability on top.

I’d also have Burton playing a little bit of centre in reserve grade, in case Luai nails down the 5/8 role.

The other interesting one will be Mcgrady. He turns 24 this year, so he’s no young kid. He might just be Cleary’s option if Whare gets dropped.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
In fact I wouldn’t even have Mansour there from round 1

Edwards
Naden
Chrichton
Whare
To’o

Whare & Mansour in the same team means we have two guys who are zero attacking threats. I don’t think we can afford that. And Mansour is a defensive liability on top.

I’d also have Burton playing a little bit of centre in reserve grade, in case Luai nails down the 5/8 role.

The other interesting one will be Mcgrady. He turns 24 this year, so he’s no young kid. He might just be Cleary’s option if Whare gets dropped.

I haven’t watched a lot of McGrady so I don’t profess to know how quick he was before his two knee reconstructions.. He’s in the top 30 so at worst we have to hope he’s offers enough to at least put pressure on Whare.

franklin2323

Immortal
I haven’t watched a lot of McGrady so I don’t profess to know how quick he was before his two knee reconstructions.. He’s in the top 30 so at worst we have to hope he’s offers enough to at least put pressure on Whare.

He is quick that is about it. Needs to be on the field to develop

Kilkenny

Coach
we are desperate for some speed in the backs. I'd guess we are one of the slower teams although not sure where the young guys like Crichton are with it.

We just don’t have it OP. Sad to say but that is the reality. I was a member of the Phil Gould fan club but he never quite addressed the issue and the new regime haven’t done anything to address the issue for 2020.

franklin2323

Immortal
we are desperate for some speed in the backs. I'd guess we are one of the slower teams although not sure where the young guys like Crichton are with it.

We have plenty of speed. Whether you put them in just for speed if they have other flaws is the question

franklin2323

Immortal
We just don’t have it OP. Sad to say but that is the reality. I was a member of the Phil Gould fan club but he never quite addressed the issue and the new regime haven’t done anything to address the issue for 2020.

Lower grades have it just not top grade

Kilkenny

Coach
We have plenty of speed. Whether you put them in just for speed if they have other flaws is the question

But who? We have a top 30 and when I look at it I don’t see the speedy players you refer too? Daine Laurie I assume is probably quicker over both the short and long distances than Dylan Edwards, I haven’t seen Stephen Chrichton in open space yet (NRL) so not sure how he goes in the speed test.

It’s early days I know but I am seriously concerned about our back line and have been for some time.

franklin2323

Immortal
But who? We have a top 30 and when I look at it I don’t see the speedy players you refer too? Daine Laurie I assume is probably quicker over both the short and long distances than Dylan Edwards, I haven’t seen Stephen Chrichton in open space yet (NRL) so not sure how he goes in the speed test.

It’s early days I know but I am seriously concerned about our back line and have been for some time.

Top 5 fastest at the club

Burton
Staines
Crichton
Laurie
McGrady

Problem is all are probably out of the top side. I don’t see Edwards getting re-signed so can actually get some speed in his place

Depends what you call quick. Naden and To’o have scored tries from the other side of halfway. Leinu is quick over 40 m

Kilkenny

Coach
Top 5 fastest at the club

Burton
Staines
Crichton
Laurie
McGrady

Problem is all are probably out of the top side. I don’t see Edwards getting re-signed so can actually get some speed in his place

Depends what you call quick. Naden and To’o have scored tries from the other side of halfway. Leinu is quick over 40 m

I have no idea what you base your top 5 on but I think there is an issue in terms of power, size and pace. The three can and do go together. Other sides have it sadly we don’t.

It would be just be nice to have a winger, six foot four, who can run like the wind, threaten with the high balls and not be a defensive liability.

franklin2323

Immortal
I have no idea what you base your top 5 on but I think there is an issue in terms of power, size and pace. The three can and do go together. Other sides have it sadly we don’t.

It would be just be nice to have a winger, six foot four, who can run like the wind, threaten with the high balls and not be a defensive liability.

How many teams have that though? JAC is the best winger fast but not tall. Either is really fast or is big

Kilkenny

Coach
How many teams have that though? JAC is the best winger fast but not tall. Either is really fast or is big

Not arguing with you here mate but I can’t help feeling we have major issues which are going to be our Achilles heel in 2020.

You’ve gone all in with the new regime so let’s hope you are proven right in the long run.

MugaB

Coach
I think our backs are fine, there's been so much commentating on how we aren't fast enough or tall enough in those areas, but i see a good future in the guys that are there, improvements still yet to be made, but as far as the crop we have, between Chrichton, Naden, To'o, Burton and May coming back, we should be fine for this season regarding backs, of course there's more in the top 30 under those that can cover centre/wing too, MWZ, Staines, Aiken, Lauire, aswell as Capewell if need be.
Whare was defensively sound in the 9s, which is hard to do since there is so much space on the edges, so if there was a few tries scored on us from there im not suprised given the format of the tournament.
Whare took out a player in another signature bone rattler that i was pleased to see again. My only worry is Mansour, his decision making and defensive reads is poor, but his speed seem to be ok in the middle running off Api in the 9s games, maybe there is a move that needs to happen there, there was talk of him being moved into another position, i cannot see him at centre, but maybe a lock, could suit him. As long as we are rolling forward convincingly with our props and 2nd rowers, although its a waste if we want to keep Martin, Yeo or JFH in lock, or on field, along with Leota, Tamou, Tetevano, and Kikau all in the run on 17

Status
Not open for further replies.