What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Kilkenny

Coach
Went down and watched the SG Ball side yesterday hoping to see a potential superstar in our three quarters. Left at 56-0 and for the most part all the work was done by the forwards who just steamrollered CC Roosters so no idea whether any of the outside backs have a future. Matthews won comfortably as well but didn’t see any of that game.

Kilkenny

Coach
As I indicated above I didn’t get there early to see the Harold Matts but I don’t understand why with all our resources we struggle to unearth a quality outside back. We thought Waqa Blake was going to be something above average but for one reason or another he didn’t fulfil his potential. With respect to the players I mention but a potential backline in 2020 for the majority of 2020 of Mansour, Whare, Naden and To’o is not exactly going to strike fear into too many of our opponents. I think our forward pack has depth and decent quality but they can’t deliver results by themselves.

Fangs

Coach
As I indicated above I didn’t get there early to see the Harold Matts but I don’t understand why with all our resources we struggle to unearth a quality outside back. We thought Waqa Blake was going to be something above average but for one reason or another he didn’t fulfil his potential. With respect to the players I mention but a potential backline in 2020 for the majority of 2020 of Mansour, Whare, Naden and To’o is not exactly going to strike fear into too many of our opponents. I think our forward pack has depth and decent quality but they can’t deliver results by themselves.

We regularly wipe the floor in juniors. As a kid growing up I'd just see us belt the opposition every week. We just don't seem to convert that into success as the grades go up.

Kilkenny

Coach
We regularly wipe the floor in juniors. As a kid growing up I'd just see us belt the opposition every week. We just don't seem to convert that into success as the grades go up.

I think we have a terrific junior system which we should be proud off and in many respects are a production line which benefits other clubs as much as our own.

I just struggle to understand why our production line has failed to on a regular basis produce quality outside backs. Michael Jennings was probably the last reality top drawer outside back we produced. Josh Mansour prior to his injury woes represented NSW and Australia, but he wasn’t a Penrith junior, and other than that it has been a struggle and I don’t get it.

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe the 9’s didn’t quite deliver what we wanted or expected I don’t read to much into what happened.

The only thing I take out of the 9’s is the concerns I have held for some time and that is we have issues in our spine and outside backs.

We may well be fitter, stronger, better coached (time will tell on this one) and better prepared but at the end of the day has the new regime addressed the issues in our roster which has been there for some time.

Abacus

Juniors
In respect of developing outside backs, the most likely factor is that our junior rep forward packs dominate other teams so the backs generally have a lot more space to work in.

We all get excited about the backs because they're untouchable and we think they're going to be NRL stars.

Then when our pack stops being so dominant, all of a sudden we question why the backs aren't the guns we thought they would be.

Crashtest

Juniors
Cleary has named James Tamou captain for 2020.

A good choice given all the shit he had to deal with as Captain last season. And hopefully means Nathan and JFH can become co-captains together once Tamou's contract ends.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has confirmed former NSW and Test front rower James Tamou has retained the captaincy role at Penrith for 2020.
Despite the emergence of growing leadership candidates Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris, Tamou has been named as Penrith’s skipper on the back of the way he held the club together through a challenging 12 months.

“First and foremost Jimmy exudes all our values. He’s well respected, works extremely hard and he’s played at all levels of the game,” Cleary said.

“He’s represented his state, represented his country and won a premiership and I thought he did well last year in difficult circumstances.

“He’s really grown since he first took on the role. We’re very much in the process of trying to develop leaders.

The Panthers endured a horrendous start to last season on the back of the leaked sex tape scandal – an issue the club later acknowledged had spilt over into on-field results.

”In our young team and how we’re set up I think he’s the right guy and he’ll get a lot of support.”

The Panthers endured a horrendous start to last season on the back of the leaked sex tape scandal – an issue the club later acknowledged had spilt over into on-field results.

Tamou helped steady the club throughout the challenges thrown up

This most recent off-season, Tamou has been heavily involved fighting the bush fires around his in-laws home in Braidwood, 40 minutes in-land from Batemans Bay.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/46f0e0417f29462854b674ba51afea00

OldPanther

Coach
“He’s represented his state, represented his country and won a premiership.

This is good enough for me. This'll give Nathan and Fish time to get closer to that hundred game milestone and hopefully get some more rep and finals footy plus Nathan hasn't lead the team full time as halfback so will need minimum a season doing that first.

Whino

Bench
Cleary has named James Tamou captain for 2020.

A good choice given all the shit he had to deal with as Captain last season. And hopefully means Nathan and JFH can become co-captains together once Tamou's contract ends.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has confirmed former NSW and Test front rower James Tamou has retained the captaincy role at Penrith for 2020.
Despite the emergence of growing leadership candidates Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris, Tamou has been named as Penrith’s skipper on the back of the way he held the club together through a challenging 12 months.

“First and foremost Jimmy exudes all our values. He’s well respected, works extremely hard and he’s played at all levels of the game,” Cleary said.

“He’s represented his state, represented his country and won a premiership and I thought he did well last year in difficult circumstances.

“He’s really grown since he first took on the role. We’re very much in the process of trying to develop leaders.

”In our young team and how we’re set up I think he’s the right guy and he’ll get a lot of support.”

Tamou helped steady the club throughout the challenges thrown up

This most recent off-season, Tamou has been heavily involved fighting the bush fires around his in-laws home in Braidwood, 40 minutes in-land from Batemans Bay.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/46f0e0417f29462854b674ba51afea00

The most sensible choice.
If plays as good as last year I wouldn't mind him staying a couple more years.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Jimmy (in my mind) was a sensible choice.

He appears to work hard on and off the field. A good family man who is invested in Penrith Panthers and the community.

Crashtest

Juniors
Nathan has packed on 4 kg of muscle during the off season. Hayden Knowles confirmed Clearly had bulked up to 92kg over summer, but is now “faster” and “more powerful”, even at the heavier weight.

His running game was already a strength, so with extra speed and power I cant wait to see him in action this season. Glad they are not just trying to turn him into an organizing half, and that he still plans to run with the ball.

Nathan Cleary packs on the muscle to hit the NRL season at full power

Even to the naked eye, it’s obvious Cleary has undergone a physical overhaul this off-season.
A truth confirmed late Monday afternoon by Hayden Knowles, the Panthers Head of Performance who also oversees the playmaker’s physical wellbeing at NSW Origin level.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph, Knowles confirmed Clearly had bulked up to 92kg over summer, while also revealing the Panthers favourite was now “faster” and “more powerful”, even at the heavier weight.

Asked about Cleary’s hyped physical appearance at the Nines, Knowles laughed: “Nath’s been telling everyone it only looked that way because of the pink jerseys. We’re hoping to increase merchandise sales.
“But, yes, you’re right. While last year he played around 88kg, Nath has now put on another four kilos.

“Importantly, he’s also faster and more powerful, too. So it’s not like we’re trying to make a body builder of him; it’s both upper and lower body strength where he’s improved.”

Despite Cleary’s impressive physical transformation, Knowles stressed there was no “magic wand” involved. “Everything Nathan Cleary does is with total commitment,” he said. “And that’s how it has been again this off season.

“He’s last guy out of the gym, last guy off the field and last guy to leave our academy every night.

“When everyone else has gone home, Nathan is still here studying video. It’s a commitment he brings to everything he does.

“It’s why you’ll hear stories about footballers like Cooper Cronk and how they prepare at the back end of their careers, just as you’ll hear it about basketballers, golfers, cricketers and so on.

“And one day they’ll be telling Nathan Cleary stories, too. Only it will be how he was doing all that from the age of 22.”

Knowles also confirmed that, after debuting in the NRL at 18, Cleary was only now starting to reap the benefits that accompany a fella moving through his early twenties.

“So you could credit the strength coaches, the nutritionists, even the Oak Milk,” Knowles laughed.

“But as Nathan Cleary gets older, he’s going to develop more, too. “That’s why he’s going to be stronger again next year. And stronger again the year after that. “Like with Olympic athletes, the statistics show they don’t peak until their late 20s.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/973f325acdb0937baee9ed4e9dd4d5f3

Crashtest

Juniors
Knowles comments about Nathan's commitment to training, and always being the last out of the gym, the last to leave the field and how he is there studying video after everyone else has left, also show he is the right leader to eventually take over the captaincy from Tamou

Although hopefully Tyrone May is not in any of the video's that Nathan is watching!

snickers007

Juniors
Not sure the Fish is ever going to be captain material.
Sure he can lead by example, but he's far too quiet and polite. I can't imagine him ever grilling the refs, or spraying his team mates in the in goal.

betcats

Referee
Nathan has packed on 4 kg of muscle during the off season. Hayden Knowles confirmed Clearly had bulked up to 92kg over summer, but is now “faster” and “more powerful”, even at the heavier weight.

His running game was already a strength, so with extra speed and power I cant wait to see him in action this season. Glad they are not just trying to turn him into an organizing half, and that he still plans to run with the ball.

Even to the naked eye, it’s obvious Cleary has undergone a physical overhaul this off-season.
A truth confirmed late Monday afternoon by Hayden Knowles, the Panthers Head of Performance who also oversees the playmaker’s physical wellbeing at NSW Origin level.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph, Knowles confirmed Clearly had bulked up to 92kg over summer, while also revealing the Panthers favourite was now “faster” and “more powerful”, even at the heavier weight.

Asked about Cleary’s hyped physical appearance at the Nines, Knowles laughed: “Nath’s been telling everyone it only looked that way because of the pink jerseys. We’re hoping to increase merchandise sales.
“But, yes, you’re right. While last year he played around 88kg, Nath has now put on another four kilos.

“Importantly, he’s also faster and more powerful, too. So it’s not like we’re trying to make a body builder of him; it’s both upper and lower body strength where he’s improved.”

Despite Cleary’s impressive physical transformation, Knowles stressed there was no “magic wand” involved. “Everything Nathan Cleary does is with total commitment,” he said. “And that’s how it has been again this off season.

“He’s last guy out of the gym, last guy off the field and last guy to leave our academy every night.

“When everyone else has gone home, Nathan is still here studying video. It’s a commitment he brings to everything he does.

“It’s why you’ll hear stories about footballers like Cooper Cronk and how they prepare at the back end of their careers, just as you’ll hear it about basketballers, golfers, cricketers and so on.

“And one day they’ll be telling Nathan Cleary stories, too. Only it will be how he was doing all that from the age of 22.”

Knowles also confirmed that, after debuting in the NRL at 18, Cleary was only now starting to reap the benefits that accompany a fella moving through his early twenties.

“So you could credit the strength coaches, the nutritionists, even the Oak Milk,” Knowles laughed.

“But as Nathan Cleary gets older, he’s going to develop more, too. “That’s why he’s going to be stronger again next year. And stronger again the year after that. “Like with Olympic athletes, the statistics show they don’t peak until their late 20s.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/973f325acdb0937baee9ed4e9dd4d5f3

He is going to smash some guys defensively this year.

OldPanther

Coach

He is going to smash some guys defensively this year.

You could see it at the 9s as the article said. He'd get hit in a front on tackle and just sort of walk through two guys before being tackled. Rumour has it he'd ask them "Do you even lift" on the way past.

Jokes aside that first part actually happened so I'm keen to see how his running and defence goes. Will be interesting @betcats If he ends up defending like prime Whare but with the running game of Fittler who was big and strong for a half as well.

Crashtest

Juniors
Not sure the Fish is ever going to be captain material.
Sure he can lead by example, but he's far too quiet and polite. I can't imagine him ever grilling the refs, or spraying his team mates in the in goal.

I read an article last week about that same question mark on him from the coaching staff. They knew he had leadership qualities to lead by example, but were worried he might be too quiet on the field to be considered for captain. So they miked him up for the last game of the season to listen to how much he talked out on the field. Apparently they were very surprised by how much he talked and bossed other players around.

I will try and find the article and post it.

betcats

Referee
I read an article last week about that same question mark on him from the coaching staff. They knew he had leadership qualities to lead by example, but were worried he might be too quiet on the field to be considered for captain. So they miked him up for the last game of the season to listen to how much he talked out on the field. Apparently they were very surprised by how much he talked and bossed other players around.

I will try and find the article and post it.

f**k yeah the Fish bossing merkins round!

Edit: got the link but I can’t read it as it’s behind the paywall.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...d/news-story/234c3f8d0d38f0eaec397955630b1359

Latest posts