What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines Thread

franklin2323

Immortal
Strong words Alice. Dave's reaction would be fine on a forum - unfortunately he's reacted in front of media. As far as "pleasing some", I'd have been pleased to see Dave take a smarter, more professional option and discretely let Todd know to expect a call during the coming days.

Even Greenberg's quote at the end of the article hints that he views Dave as an amateur:

As for O’Neill, Greenberg said: "I always admire people's passion and enthusiasm for their club and for the game".

In other words, not someone that Greenberg is going to seek rational, well-considered input from.

We always just cop it and it never changes while the whingers get all the calls

BxTom

Bench
I am pleased that Dave expressed his displeasure at a horrible decision to Greenberg. In anyone's language it was a nasty foul decision.

I'm sure if he'd said nothing the same folks would have been critical. There is no pleasing some.
So reporting what is written in the newspaper is being critical now is it? The thought nazi is at it again!

Kilkenny

Coach
I am pleased that Dave expressed his displeasure at a horrible decision to Greenberg. In anyone's language it was a nasty foul decision.

I'm sure if he'd said nothing the same folks would have been critical. There is no pleasing some.

We all understand the on field officials got it horribly wrong I’m just not sure it is the right look for the Chairman of our Board to react in such as manner.

I think the NRL dodged a bullet by the fact NQ won the damn thing because had the Dragons won how would it have looked given what happened.

I’m over it already and more inclined to focus on our two upcoming 13 man trials. Albeit that trials also mean nothing in the larger scheme of things I do think we will get a better idea of where we situated going into the season proper after the trials. The whole Panthers media spin around our pre season has been overwhelming but at the end of the day the proof will be in the pudding.

franklin2323

Immortal
We all understand the on field officials got it horribly wrong I’m just not sure it is the right look for the Chairman of our Board to react in such as manner.

I think the NRL dodged a bullet by the fact NQ won the damn thing because had the Dragons won how would it have looked given what happened.

I’m over it already and more inclined to focus on our two upcoming 13 man trials. Albeit that trials also mean nothing in the larger scheme of things I do think we will get a better idea of where we situated going into the season proper after the trials. The whole Panthers media spin around our pre season has been overwhelming but at the end of the day the proof will be in the pudding.

Why not say something now in the hope that NRL can fix before we get into the season? Or you ignore it because just 9’s and have the same issues

Kilkenny

Coach
Why not say something now in the hope that NRL can fix before we get into the season? Or you ignore it because just 9’s and have the same issues

We voice our disapproval what do you honestly believe that is going to achieve?

Every game is different, every game offers different officials I just honestly believe it is an institutional issue where the officials subconsciously favour the high profile sides. Not deliberately just the way it is.

franklin2323

Immortal
We voice our disapproval what do you honestly believe that is going to achieve?

Every game is different, every game offers different officials I just honestly believe it is an institutional issue where the officials subconsciously favour the high profile sides. Not deliberately just the way it is.

How many times does a team win the penalty count the week after giving it to a ref? Almost everytime

Kilkenny

Coach
How many times does a team win the penalty count the week after giving it to a ref? Almost everytime

I don’t have any idea on that score but at the end of the day we can blame less than perfect officiating for our less than perfect results but we have to be better than that.

If it were an NRL game things would have turned out differently so I really believe we need to put it in the past and forget about it.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
So reporting what is written in the newspaper is being critical now is it? The thought nazi is at it again!

Your very good at twisting comments aren't you.

I have no issues with the papers reporting what happened. FYI it's what newspaper are supposed to do.

No, my comment related to the continually complaining group, that appear to be always uphappy (not matter what) You know those who speak with 'forked tongue' and who ONLY post to whine and whinge about the club and it's players.

PS I do know the absurdity of complaining about those complaining too. :p

I'm pleased that O'neil had a good whinge at Greenburg and his officials.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don’t have any idea on that score but at the end of the day we can blame less than perfect officiating for our less than perfect results but we have to be better than that.

If it were an NRL game things would have turned out differently so I really believe we need to put it in the past and forget about it.

Really

It was an NRL fixture a nine's competition. The viewing public, those who paid to see the game live, players, coaching, adminstrations all deserved for the officiating to be top notch.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’m not disagreeing with you Alice it wasn’t a good look but we just have to suck it up. It is what it is.

Your right we do. Fun fact I was watching the game last night with my older brother (he turned 70 a couple of weeks ago). I'm a much younger little sister. I was taking him to see the movie 1917.(we are both ww1 history buffs)

When it happened Big bro laughed and laughed saying 'at least I helped keep the language a little less blue by being there'.

He then added some wise words. 'Penrith would have come away from the game feeling quite good about themselves'. Unlike the dragons and others no real injures with the knowledge that the team actually won the game (although the score sheets says differently) So Psychologically it did them good not harm.
By bowing out then no chance or any more injuries either. So win win.

MugaB

Coach
Your right we do. Fun fact I was watching the game last night with my older brother (he turned 70 a couple of weeks ago). I'm a much younger little sister. I was taking him to see the movie 1917.(we are both ww1 history buffs)

When it happened Big bro laughed and laughed saying 'at least I helped keep the language a little less blue by being there'.

He then added some wise words. 'Penrith would have come away from the game feeling quite good about themselves'. Unlike the dragons and others no real injures with the knowledge that the team actually won the game (although the score sheets says differently) So Psychologically it did them good not harm.
By bowing out then no chance or any more injuries either. So win win.
Good frame of mind, still sux to know that we could've been in the dragons place, probably beaten eels in the semis, a given the cowboys a go in the GF.
My issue wasn't how bad the call was, the issue was that the game was over at the final second, and even without tv ref, the replay cleary shows the dragons player placed it outside the line, all that had to be done was to reverse the call, the game was over, no time to play on, so calling it correctly wouldn't have affected any next play. simple stuff, but this riggid rules put in place saying that these howlers must be allowed in game time, no matter the consequences, is ridiculous, V'landy's spoke to this in his press conference in October, saying its ok for bad decisions to happen, but if we can reverse it, or have it so the fans don't walk away feeling cheated, then it would be ok. Its basic common sence!!!
Nobody likes to lose any match, but if the officials make the wrong calls how do we expect fans to pay good money to show up.
Im in the V'landy's camp 100% if he can get this kind of shit out of the referees game.
That call was a blunder as well as the "suspected" fwd pass from Kikau to Mansour. I can stomach that one, but not the last no try, not when they could have said then and there, we made a mistake, disallow the last try, from visually seeing the put down seconds later on the big screen, if was line ball fair enough, but was clearly out.
The ingoal referee should be shot IMO

franklin2323

Immortal

Would it though? Nothing in the rules to say the ref needs to use the bunker.

If this changes that then it is a win for all. That is the reason to speak up 4 weeks out from the comp still time to fine tune things

Abacus

Juniors
The reasons Dave's outburst is disappointing is because it doesn't achieve anything and was misdirected.

The NRL, including Greenberg, knew straight away it was a shit call. So what is Dave trying to achieve - I'm assuming public embarrassment of Greenberg was not the intent. The missed opportunity was to eyeball Todd & have a wry grin across the room - acknowledge the bad call and get on with it.

As for being misdirected, the simple comparison is if I get a drink spilt on me by a club employee, do I go find Dave or Fletch and tell him “That’s a disgrace!” Or do I recognise that everyone has been trained and sometimes shit just happens.

It's only when you see how people deal with adversity that you find out what they're made of. And you don't earn respect by carrying on like a nit over a call that everyone knows, and the NRL quickly admitted, was wrong.

Anyway, we join the other 14 clubs that didn't win the 9s and get ready for the season proper.

franklin2323

Immortal
The reasons Dave's outburst is disappointing is because it doesn't achieve anything and was misdirected.

The NRL, including Greenberg, knew straight away it was a shit call. So what is Dave trying to achieve - I'm assuming public embarrassment of Greenberg was not the intent. The missed opportunity was to eyeball Todd & have a wry grin across the room - acknowledge the bad call and get on with it.

As for being misdirected, the simple comparison is if I get a drink spilt on me by a club employee, do I go find Dave or Fletch and tell him “That’s a disgrace!” Or do I recognise that everyone has been trained and sometimes shit just happens.

It's only when you see how people deal with adversity that you find out what they're made of. And you don't earn respect by carrying on like a nit over a call that everyone knows, and the NRL quickly admitted, was wrong.

Anyway, we join the other 14 clubs that didn't win the 9s and get ready for the season proper.

Or an employee cares so much about a mickey mouse comp they give it too the nearest person. As I said the carefree nature hasn’t helped us so far

John Hamblin

Juniors
The whole debate around whether the Panthers get a fair rub of the green is an interesting argument.

Over the years I have expressed the view there are certain officials who we haven’t fared well under and is it a coincidence or is there something untoward. I have never suggested for one minute a referee deliberates goes out on the field to ‘cheat’ us for want of a better phrase. I know they don’t. I do think however there is a subconscious mentality in the officials that can and sometimes does favour the more high profile clubs.

I don’t profess to know what our record is under Ben Cummins but on the other hand I know we have never seemed to fare well under Ashley Klein and more often than not in my opinion got a very raw deal when he was the led referee particularly against the more high profile teams. The other referee who were almost always on the receiving end was Robinson (his first name escapes me at the moment) and he was a local Cambridge Park boy. I put in down to the fact he must have felt compelled to seem to be impartial because he was a local but was never went well under him.

It is a tough job and us fans get the benefit on almost instantaneous replays, from multiple angles and then form a view the officials got the decision wrong. I feel for them in many respects but I do hold the view rightly or wrongly we as a club get less 50-50 calls than many other clubs.

Ash Klein's father John was a former first grade halfback for the Panthers. Maybe he goes overboard to not show any favouritism to us.