What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XFL

Valheru

Coach
The rebooted version starts tomorrow morning.

8 team, 10 week season with 2 weeks of playoffs. All games on ESPN.

Will anyone here be watching? I'll give it a look if for no other reason than to get us through what is the most boring part of the year as far as sports goes before the footy starts.

There are some tweaks to traditional rules but nothing dramatic. Below is a decent write up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...osters-salaries-more-2020-season?platform=amp

The most interesting rule change to me is no kicks for PAT. Instead it is one play from the 2, 5 or 10 yard line worth 1, 2 and 3 points respectively meaning one possession is potentially worth 9 points. I wonder what the norm will be? I'm thinking 2 points will be the most common but we will see.

Valheru

Coach
Watched the first game... gotta say... I’m pretty bloody impressed with the whole product.

Yeah i thought it looked good.

Completely different to the embarrassment of the 2001 version.

They have tweaked a few rules but most in the name of speeding the game up.

It still looks and feels like football.

Just have to pick a team to get behind.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Has anybody jumped on a particular team?

As a Seahawks fan through marriage, I'm ostensibly a Dragons fan. Feels dirty saying that haha

Valheru

Coach
Has anybody jumped on a particular team?

As a Seahawks fan through marriage, I'm ostensibly a Dragons fan. Feels dirty saying that haha

I'm going with New York, for no other reason than they are the closest to Philadelphia.

nick87

Coach
Yeah i watched a little bit of it yesterday and overall i thought it was good. The OL's are a major problem but it was a fun watch, I think it's got a chance

No team as yet but im leaning toward the Defenders because it would be great for DC to have a successful football franchise and rub Synder and his racist teams face

I watched the first game. I'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is and go for the ride with all 8 teams.

Loved hearing the coaches setting plays over the headsets...even though I had absolutely NFI as to what it was all about.

Looks like a compact season too.

nöyd

Staff member
PJ Walker impressive, best he could do in NFL was waivers and practice squads according to wiki

shiznit

Coach
PJ Walker impressive, best he could do in NFL was waivers and practice squads according to wiki
I think a lot of it comes down to circumstance and a fair bit of luck to be brutally honest.

landing in the right situation at the right time or knowing the right person who might know a guy kind of thing...

hopefully this league does well enough to pay for itself and provide more opportunities for players.

shiznit

Coach
The XFL is f**king WILD man... :joy::joy:

I switch on DC vs NY this morning and I see Matt Mcgoin on the sidelines hot mic’d straight up calling out his his team mates to his coach... :joy::joy:

jargan83

Coach
I watched a little bit of this during the week last week and found it enjoyable, loved hearing the chat between the Coach the QB even if I didn't understand much of it.

Taped yesterday's games on ESPN so will catch them during the week when I get some time.

I guess I'm drawn to Seattle in the XFL purely because of the Dragons and that would match up with the NRL side I've followed my whole life.

T-Boon

Coach
I've only been watching the extended highlights. Its is very spectacular. Seems to be all passing minimal running.

It really is the only football code that keeps trying to improve its rules. I bet the NRL takes on their kick off rule change or something similar.

T-Boon

Coach
Interesting. You can see why the NFL owners have no interest in a reserve grade type comp. They just lose money.