What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

Dragonsamy

Bench
His runs are pretty strong for a slender build. I was surprised the first time I saw him play live, he broke the line often and hit the ball up hard.
I am hopeful that he will have a good year.

Agree Crush
Remember when tupou started for the rooster he was slender and dropped the ball at bit .
Now he is a very reliable finisher And bring the ball out well. I'm hoping that Jason will be in the same mould. He's a bit taller 199cm to 196 cm and Tupuo is around 110kg.
I think Jason will be weight in a few years

Crush

Coach
This will sound weird but I reckon a lot of our hopes for 2020 will depend on Lomax and Saab. Reason being, we know what we will get from Aitken, Lafai and Pereira/Rava but Lomax and Saab are unknowns really.
If these 2 kids can burst onto the scene and be outstanding then we will be competitive.
On the other hand if they both have a shocker we are looking at bottom 4.
I hope they have positive starts to their careers.

rasaint

Juniors
I make it clear that I will cheer on Zac from fullback and hope he is an outstanding success.

I believe he is a centre, a good one but I haven’t seen anything really brilliant from him as yet.I just can’t see him being a Tedesco or the like. I believe you need brilliance from fullback. His goal kicking is a real strength and we need it. So his signing over many years at around $500k secured a very good goal kicker.

That young fullback coming through with the long hair does have that touch of X factor/ but I know NRL is another level.Remember we had the brilliant Matt Dufty during 2018 when went close to making grand final and we had a strong pack with Leeson and JDB all going forward.Dufty may not be washed up yet?

Saab will be interesting and I hope he goes very well.

Richard Norton

Juniors
I make it clear that I will cheer on Zac from fullback and hope he is an outstanding success.

I believe he is a centre, a good one but I haven’t seen anything really brilliant from him as yet.I just can’t see him being a Tedesco or the like. I believe you need brilliance from fullback. His goal kicking is a real strength and we need it. So his signing over many years at around $500k secured a very good goal kicker.

That young fullback coming through with the long hair does have that touch of X factor/ but I know NRL is another level.Remember we had the brilliant Matt Dufty during 2018 when went close to making grand final and we had a strong pack with Leeson and JDB all going forward.Dufty may not be washed up yet?

I agree alot hinges on how Lomax and Saab go, id add Rava into the mix also.
If Rava works on his catching the high ball in the off season, we could very well have ourselves our own Sivo.
Rava runs are strong, his defence is good too.
Its 3 and 4 where out attack sh!ts itself.

Belta

Juniors
It’s a fair call to suggest our seasons fortunes dramatically improve if our wingers and fullback have big seasons. And although I can see our backs being better this year I’m not feeling that Saab and Lomax or even Sailor (at this stage) will be earth shatteringly brilliant (although it would be nice to see). I think as long as they are solid we can improve on last year. To me it’s going to be more important to have consistency across the team. Players like Dufty and Ravalawa are recent examples of brilliance mixed with inconsistency. Last season they both done some brilliant things last season but those moments of brilliance were over shadowed by a lot of errors which in the long run became counter-productive.

To me the most crucial aspect of consistency is our defence and behind that is minimising our handling errors. Consistency will put us in a better position to win games this year. I believe defence wins you games and unforced errors cost you games.

Of course any talk of our outside backs improving is mute unless our forwards improve. To me the forwards have a big part to play. I do believe we have the forwards to put us in the game so our halves can create the opportunities that the likes of Lomax and Saab can benefit from. We also need a big season from. Lawrie and Kerr and Korbin to support the origin fellas. and possibly Sailor, Williame and or Tyrell to support the Origin forwards

Richard Norton

Juniors
It’s a fair call to suggest our seasons fortunes dramatically improve if our wingers and fullback have big seasons. And although I can see our backs being better this year I’m not feeling that Saab and Lomax or even Sailor (at this stage) will be earth shatteringly brilliant (although it would be nice to see). I think as long as they are solid we can improve on last year. To me it’s going to be more important to have consistency across the team. Players like Dufty and Ravalawa are recent examples of brilliance mixed with inconsistency. Last season they both done some brilliant things last season but those moments of brilliance were over shadowed by a lot of errors which in the long run became counter-productive.

To me the most crucial aspect of consistency is our defence and behind that is minimising our handling errors. Consistency will put us in a better position to win games this year. I believe defence wins you games and unforced errors cost you games.

Of course any talk of our outside backs improving is mute unless our forwards improve. To me the forwards have a big part to play. I do believe we have the forwards to put us in the game so our halves can create the opportunities that the likes of Lomax and Saab can benefit from. We also need a big season from. Lawrie and Kerr and Korbin to support the origin fellas. and possibly Sailor, Williame and or Tyrell to support the Origin forwards
I agree with you, good depth enables consistency.
We have players ready to go in important positions.
Forwards: Vaughan, Merrin, K.Sims, Graham, Kerr, Lawrie, even Frizz can be our Lock with Ford or Tyrell in the 2nd row. We have forward depth to cover origin and injuries.
Backs, we have enough to do well also.
Lomax, Sailor, and even Dufty can cover FB. Dufty can be electric when our forwards can dominate.
We need to NOT use Lafai and Aitkens.
Use one of the Feigi brothers, age is but a number i say.
Move Lomax to centre if need be and play Sailor at FB if Duftys confidence/form is down.
Saab on one wing, and then we have Rava, Pereira, Williame, the other Feigi brother, to choose from.
Our young gun cody ramsey is a gun at FB also.
Sailor has the skills of a half, could be our Ponga style FB, we have options
Just dont have a coach that can work it all out unfortunately.

Dragonsamy

Bench
This will sound weird but I reckon a lot of our hopes for 2020 will depend on Lomax and Saab. Reason being, we know what we will get from Aitken, Lafai and Pereira/Rava but Lomax and Saab are unknowns really.
If these 2 kids can burst onto the scene and be outstanding then we will be competitive.
On the other hand if they both have a shocker we are looking at bottom 4.
I hope they have positive starts to their careers.

Agree Crush
But to me we need Lomax to have a huge year.
And as much as I did think it will happen but Euan needs to pull his finger out to.

possm

Coach

Lomax will be our new Changa Langlands

LINESPEED

Juniors
Lomax will be our new Changa Langlands

You know just the mention of Changa’s name opens the memory floodgates & sends a shiver up the old spine:
That metre step from 10m out & 70m up the sideline on the western grandstand end.
So many times

Gasnier, Raper & Smith.

Clear as a bell right now
- even the roar of the crowd

The pride we felt as we crossed the road with Dad, past Mum’s old school & up Jubilee to the pub, then a packed train to Penshurst.

Those days seemed endless.

So far Zac seems at least as good a goal kicker.
Linekicker? Funny they don’t seem to go for the same distances these days.

Dragons2020

Juniors
You know just the mention of Changa’s name opens the memory floodgates & sends a shiver up the old spine:
That metre step from 10m out & 70m up the sideline on the western grandstand end.
So many times

Gasnier, Raper & Smith.

Clear as a bell right now
- even the roar of the crowd

The pride we felt as we crossed the road with Dad, past Mum’s old school & up Jubilee to the pub, then a packed train to Penshurst.

Those days seemed endless.

So far Zac seems at least as good a goal kicker.
Linekicker? Funny they don’t seem to go for the same distances these days.
Well said .. good on ya mate

Belta

Juniors
I agree with you, good depth enables consistency.
We have players ready to go in important positions.
Forwards: Vaughan, Merrin, K.Sims, Graham, Kerr, Lawrie, even Frizz can be our Lock with Ford or Tyrell in the 2nd row. We have forward depth to cover origin and injuries.
Backs, we have enough to do well also.
Lomax, Sailor, and even Dufty can cover FB. Dufty can be electric when our forwards can dominate.
We need to NOT use Lafai and Aitkens.
Use one of the Feigi brothers, age is but a number i say.
Move Lomax to centre if need be and play Sailor at FB if Duftys confidence/form is down.
Saab on one wing, and then we have Rava, Pereira, Williame, the other Feigi brother, to choose from.
Our young gun cody ramsey is a gun at FB also.
Sailor has the skills of a half, could be our Ponga style FB, we have options
Just dont have a coach that can work it all out unfortunately.

I agree It would be nice to see a few youngsters replace some of our mediocre backs but I’m not sure which are ready. Also with Mary under the pump I expect him to be very conservative as far offering ‘inexperienced’ youngsters first grade spots. Despite knowing this I think we can be buoyed by the knowledge that we have a long list of players off contract at seasons end. This includes our centres, Rav, Host, Kerr, Dufty, Sailor and a few others. It’s a good position for the club to be in. Many will need to perform or risk being without a contract. Hopefully the club is already planning which players they will let go and which youngsters they wish to bring in for 2021. I also agree that Rav seems to have a lot of untapped potential, and have heard people suggest he may even be better suited as a centre. I can picture him being given early ball and feel he could be quite a destructive ball runner and seems to have a natural affinity to offload.

Richard Norton

Juniors
I agree It would be nice to see a few youngsters replace some of our mediocre backs but I’m not sure which are ready. Also with Mary under the pump I expect him to be very conservative as far offering ‘inexperienced’ youngsters first grade spots. Despite knowing this I think we can be buoyed by the knowledge that we have a long list of players off contract at seasons end. This includes our centres, Rav, Host, Kerr, Dufty, Sailor and a few others. It’s a good position for the club to be in. Many will need to perform or risk being without a contract. Hopefully the club is already planning which players they will let go and which youngsters they wish to bring in for 2021. I also agree that Rav seems to have a lot of untapped potential, and have heard people suggest he may even be better suited as a centre. I can picture him being given early ball and feel he could be quite a destructive ball runner and seems to have a natural affinity to offload.
Personally, i think Rav would be a smash in the centres, wont happen though.
Mary is Mary, so Rav will be a winger.
Speaking of Mary, as you said, his approach is what will kill us early, and with a bit of luck, kill his coaching career.
Being under pressure to perform, he will keep the "experienced" players in the hope they will save his career, the Aitkins and Lafais etc...
Once he goes, watch the changes, believe me, we have some good young'ens ready to go, and they have skill.

BLM01

First Grade
Speaking of Mary, as you said, his approach is what will kill us early, and with a bit of luck, kill his coaching career.
Being under pressure to perform, he will keep the "experienced" players in the hope they will save his career, the Aitkins and Lafais etc...
Once he goes, watch the changes, believe me, we have some good young'ens ready to go, and they have skill.
We do have good youngsters ready to go but need coaching and mentoring firstly through reggies for a bit and earn promotion or demotion between 1st grade on form.....like the Feagais Ramsay Blacker and co. They simply are not ready to be thrown straight into 1st grade as everyone wishes until they prove they can handle it. Mentally and physically. Otherwise you are wasting their time and development. Saab did spend some time in reggies and may prove to be an exception but got injured on only his 2nd game and showed defensively..and physically . he too may need more time in reserves and demand being picked on form
Just my opinion as I watch these senior guys who are not as fit as young as 16-17 train 2 - 3 times a week at local level and the physicality of that going against the older hard heads
This is not comparing local level to NRL and about the skill as clearly the Dragons young brigade are their based on skill and potential and stand out....but it is the physicality and speed of NRL and in part reggies that everyone forgets and does not factor.
Boys against men.. girls against women will always have to be a consideration and a preparation going forward

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I'd like to see Saab on the right wing and one of our young guns - maybe Ramsey - of the left wing.

I'd say Ravalawa at right centre and Sailor or one of our new recruits at left centre.

We need to prepare for 2021 this season and give youngsters as much first grade experience as possible.

Richard Norton

Juniors
I'd like to see Saab on the right wing and one of our young guns - maybe Ramsey - of the left wing.

I'd say Ravalawa at right centre and Sailor or one of our new recruits at left centre.

We need to prepare for 2021 this season and give youngsters as much first grade experience as possible.
Williames defence didnt look to bad.
I know it was just the nines but he pulled off a couple of beauties in defence.
I think Ramsey would be wasted on the wing personally.
Id love to see him at FB.
Lomax at centre, and either williame or sailor as the other centre.
Rav and Saab on the wings.
But i think we will see Mary roll out with Lomax at FB, Saab and Rava/Pereira on the wings, Euan and Lafai in the centres.
Its 3 and 4 that will break Mary this year.
He wont drop either, and neither is up to standard for what we need.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Williames defence didnt look to bad.
I know it was just the nines but he pulled off a couple of beauties in defence.
I think Ramsey would be wasted on the wing personally.
Id love to see him at FB.
Lomax at centre, and either williame or sailor as the other centre.
Rav and Saab on the wings.
But i think we will see Mary roll out with Lomax at FB, Saab and Rava/Pereira on the wings, Euan and Lafai in the centres.
Its 3 and 4 that will break Mary this year.
He wont drop either, and neither is up to standard for what we need.
Wiliame looked a lot more solid to me than Lafai, he'd be a certain starter for me, had a few nice touches too, put a nice kick through, some good offloads etc. He looks a look more controlled to me than Lafai he only passes and offloads at the right time. Not over the sideline every 3 sets. He didnt get a lot of chances in the 9s but id be starting with him vs Newcastle for sure. Hopefully Norman gets him some early ball.