What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
All good, mate.
I guess my main bone of contention is the fact that the nrl don’t seem to have covered all bases.
They’ve helped themselves but not the club or player.
As you say, the player has a responsibility as well.
How have they not helped the player or the club?

The player receives full pay while the club can apply for salary cap relief.

possm

Coach
Possum old mate , my post was in reference to O.T.’s post where he suggested that perhaps there was also another aspect that is taken into consideration by the courts when one admits guilt - that being the time factor .

The LEGAL system therefore reduces the punishment for the offense , the point being that it is done out of sheer necessity because of the high volume of other cases awaiting to be heard .

The term ‘ commercial ‘ was merely a bad choice of words . It has nothing to do with the NRL whatsoever, only the legal system .
I have always thought that if a person pleads guilty then action moves to the sentencing process. In this case I would say the player should not only immediately be stood down but his contract should be terminated as well.

qld redvee

Juniors
So it looks like we lose Jack for the 2020 season . What type of salary relief can we expect or more to the point when will the club ask for it , we have already paid Jack since Nov 1 so lets say 1/3 of his salary SO what can we buy for the balance - we dont need a 3rd rater like last year .. I would persist with tyrell and bring yound cody ramsay into the 30 to replace jack.
Now what do we do if JDB is found innocent and can resume his life ??? he will be fighting fit / injury free
so do you sign him up for another year or 2 as he will have a point to prove when back on the field

possm

Coach
So it looks like we lose Jack for the 2020 season . What type of salary relief can we expect or more to the point when will the club ask for it , we have already paid Jack since Nov 1 so lets say 1/3 of his salary SO what can we buy for the balance - we dont need a 3rd rater like last year .. I would persist with tyrell and bring yound cody ramsay into the 30 to replace jack.
Now what do we do if JDB is found innocent and can resume his life ??? he will be fighting fit / injury free
so do you sign him up for another year or 2 as he will have a point to prove when back on the field
De Belin has been stood down for the entire period until now. SGI should be entitled to the full year's salary of 550.00.

SBD82

Coach
De Belin has been stood down for the entire period until now. SGI should be entitled to the full year's salary of 550.00.
We should be, but we aren’t. If it’s the same as last year we are eligible from the day that we apply.

Gardenia

Juniors
We should be, but we aren’t. If it’s the same as last year we are eligible from the day that we apply.
The club is probably waiting for it to be thrown out of court or something big like that. We don't have the luxury of time to wait for such things that may or may not occur.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Have just read comments that JDB is back training with the team.

IF this is the case, l think that is wrong, ONLY because we have not had an outcome from the courts and if truth be known, having JDB training with the team last season HAD an adverse affect on the team.

As much as we all want JDB to be back playing again, the fact that he had a detremental effect on the team last season, l seriously question WHO allowed him back whislt his case is where it is at present.

We really need to think of the team FIRST this time round................ or not?

Old Timer

Coach

IF this is the case, l think that is wrong, ONLY because we have not had an outcome from the courts and if truth be known, having JDB training with the team last season HAD an adverse affect on the team.

As much as we all want JDB to be back playing again, the fact that he had a detremental effect on the team last season, l seriously question WHO allowed him back whislt his case is where it is at present.

We really need to think of the team FIRST this time round................ or not?
The club is f**ked and has no moral compass let alone culture.
He should have been cut adrift last year and now the saga just rolls on as does the coach, the board, the journeymen etc etc.

As much as we all want JDB to be back playing again, the fact that he had a detrenmental effect on the team last season, l seriously question WHO allowed him back whislt his case is where it is at present.

If that is true, it is just astounding to me.
What is the rationale?
Support the player psychologically while he goes through a tough challenge in court?
JDB is a leader who is irreplaceable - the Team cannot function without him involved in the every day management of the Team?
The club and McGregor want to be seen to be loyal to this one player?
The club is soooo confident that JDB will be acquitted and he will make a late appearance in 2020 after the trial?
Any way you look at this it is catastrophic for the rest of the Team and our prospects for 2020.
There is a squad of players that need direction and mentoring without the added distraction of the JDB circus.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
The club is f**ked and has no moral compass let alone culture.
He should have been cut adrift last year and now the saga just rolls on as does the coach, the board, the journeymen etc etc.
What do you mean by cut adrift?

There would be some legal implications of terminating his contract. Although I do agree that having him training with the first grade squad seems to have a negative effect.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Duty of care is one thing.
Training with the Team is quite another.
Then there is the issue of whether ALL players are treated equally by the club.
Obviously they are not.
You are quite correct that training with the team is different.

It is extremely different than cutting someone adrift before a court result.

Which is something we shouldn’t do.

Where the club has stuffed up is allowing him to train with the team. Being stood down with full pay is a fair outcome for all.

Jack keeps his pay, the team are not distracted.

Dragonsamy

Bench

OKB
They sould not allow him to train with the team. But it is the clubs decision whether it's wrong or not I'm not sure but to me it shouldn't be done

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
OKB
They sould not allow him to train with the team. But it is the cops decision whether it's wrong or not I'm not sure but to me it shouldn't be done
Sorry Samy. I think that’s a bit of a cop out. (No pun intended).

The police could have advocated for a bail condition that he can’t train or play, but they would have had to convince the magistrate that this would mitigate risk to the community in some way, or improved his likelihood of attending court.

The NRL and the club can act autonomously, as evidenced by the “No Fault Stand Down” that the NRL implemented.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Sorry Samy. I think that’s a bit of a cop out. (No pun intended).

The police could have advocated for a bail condition that he can’t train or play, but they would have had to convince the magistrate that this would mitigate risk to the community in some way, or improved his likelihood of attending court.

The NRL and the club can act autonomously, as evidenced by the “No Fault Stand Down” that the NRL implemented.

Its my bad mate sould have been the club not cops

Status
Not open for further replies.