What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to stadiums, being back at hbf and having the opportunity to sit in different places was interesting. Enjoyed standing in the shed and they should extend that terracing to the full width of the north stand. South stand has great views from the second tier but needs the roof putting it on that it was designed for. East stand is awesome, the steepness is insane but gives a great close up view of the pitch. The biggest issue is the west stand. It desperately needs a new stand with main corporate facilities. Spend another $100mill and hbf will be a 28k top notch stadium for RL.

TheRam

Coach
The vast majority of the population doesn't live in Civic, so it's not a 15min 6km drive, for example, for me to get to EPIC it's roughly a 30min drive.

But the distance and the drive isn't the problem anyway, it's EPIC's remoteness from everything else that is the problem.

There's nothing at EPIC, no restaurants, no pubs, no hotels or places to stay, nothing, except a race track across the road, a Maccas and petrol station, and an industrial district up the road. It's also hard to get to it using public transport unless you are one of the roughly 5% of the population that lives along the tram line.

It's been shown time and time again that if you build stadiums in a city centre that is central and easy to get to (especially by public transport), that not only are the events better attended, but it's also significantly better for the local economy because it's easier for people to make a day/trip of it.

In other words if it's built in Civic more people will attend events at the stadium on average, they'll spend more money, and they won't only spend it at the stadium. More people from out of town will attend as well, because they'll be able to fly in, catch a cab/Uber into town, and then stay at a nice hotel within walking distance of the stadium, restaurants, bars, shopping centres, and other local tourist attractions.

It's the difference between going to Homebush and going to Melbourne, and a huge reason why attendance at sports games is so much higher in Melbourne.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Now this is where V'landys comes in. He should demand publicly and privately that the Stadium be built in a city hub. Point out that if the Gov build it out of town it will be a white elephant and not meet the peoples needs or expectations. Keep at it, generate media attention and support and turn it into an issue.

Explain publicly that all sports are very appreciative and grateful that they will be getting a shiny new stadium, but that a new stadium alone is only the job half done. And that time and time again statistics show that building stadiums around already existing amenities is what separates consistent big crowds and poor ones. He needs to start lobbying now and hard, before the Gov goes down the path of no return.

For mine if he doesn't and just sits on his hands or just makes some politically correct public statement on the matter, then he is just another massive dud perched on the NRLC board like all the others. This to me is a massive issue. Stadiums and where they are located are vital to the health of the game. Big and excited crowds in great purpose built stadiums is the image you need and want to create for a self promoting buzz around the game. The game sells itself then. No need to beg people to go to games. Look at the ALF ffs.

How can you grow as a sport if where you sell your product is considered unappealing and inconvenient by your customers. Why would they consistently put themselves and their families out, in cold, maybe rainy, night time weather, when it is much more appealing and cheaper to have pizzas and drinks at home or go to a nice local eatery and then watch the game on their big TV at home? There needs to be more then just a massive stadium plonked in the middle of nowhere for the whole day/night experience that people are looking for today. Like I said in an earlier post, I have an iphone and so does everyone else in my family.

The world is at our finger tips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

TheRam

Coach
He never says anything good about it. Continually pointing out bad things about it passionately

That's because there are plenty of bad things to point at mate. I don't see him or many others here bagging the game itself much at all other then bad ref decisions. But when it comes to dumb arse administrative decisions, the NRL have taken that to a whole new level for a billion dollar business.

If anything, someone like Perth Red, even though I may not agree with everything he says, has shown that he loves and is loyal to the game way more them most considering he doesn't even have the opportunity to go and cheer for a local team.

If you or anyone else thinks he hates the game, you have rocks in your head.

T-Boon

Coach
Is there enough space in Canberra CBD for a football stadium?
If so where?
It would be cool and would draw some folks down from Sydney.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is there enough space in Canberra CBD for a football stadium?
If so where?
It would be cool and would draw some folks down from Sydney.

It'd be a bit of a squeeze, but you could fit it in at the Civic Pool.

There's also plenty of room across the road at Commonwealth Park, but that'd be very controversial and a political nightmare to push through, it's not impossible though.

Though Civic would be the best outcome there's no reason why the stadium has to be built at Civic. As long as it's built in one of the city centres, preferably either Civic or Woden because they are the most central, it'll serve it's purpose.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's because there are plenty of bad things to point at mate. I don't see him or many others here bagging the game itself much at all other then bad ref decisions. But when it comes to dumb arse administrative decisions, the NRL have taken that to a whole new level for a billion dollar business.

If anything, someone like Perth Red, even though I may not agree with everything he says, has shown that he loves and is loyal to the game way more them most considering he doesn't even have the opportunity to go and cheer for a local team.

If you or anyone else thinks he hates the game, you have rocks in your head.

This RL and NRL especially does many dumb things. No point just ignoring them

Jamberoo

Juniors
Noticed AFL offering $27 and $5 tickets

Is this for all parts of the ground ?
Pretty much just Melbourne (MCG/Marvel). $27 is general admission & standing. Reserved seating prices are variable and different for each team and each stadium. E.g. $27 most tickets in Melbourne for a low drawing game (under say 25K) up to $60 - $80 for decent seats for the 20 or so games likely to draw over 60K. Similar to how Storm price tickets at AAMI (i.e. good seats overpriced for the casual fan).

Jamberoo

Juniors
The vast majority of the population doesn't live in Civic, so it's not a 15min 6km drive, for example, for me to get to EPIC it's roughly a 30min drive.

But the distance and the drive isn't the problem anyway, it's EPIC's remoteness from everything else that is the problem.

There's nothing at EPIC, no restaurants, no pubs, no hotels or places to stay, nothing, except a race track across the road, a Maccas and petrol station, and an industrial district up the road. It's also hard to get to it using public transport unless you are one of the roughly 5% of the population that lives along the tram line.

It's been shown time and time again that if you build stadiums in a city centre that is central and easy to get to (especially by public transport), that not only are the events better attended, but it's also significantly better for the local economy because it's easier for people to make a day/trip of it.

In other words if it's built in Civic more people will attend events at the stadium on average, they'll spend more money, and they won't only spend it at the stadium. More people from out of town will attend as well, because they'll be able to fly in, catch a cab/Uber into town, and then stay at a nice hotel within walking distance of the stadium, restaurants, bars, shopping centres, and other local tourist attractions.

It's the difference between going to Homebush and going to Melbourne, and a huge reason why attendance at sports games is so much higher in Melbourne.
It is the best thing about AAMI/MCG - literally 50+ pubs/bars withing 1km. Many of them family friendly for day games, heaps of action after dark. Probably 200 - 300 within walking distance. If is also the reason for the 50% increase in crowds in SA since they moved to AOm and Perth with the new stadium. Has to be in town. Land will be more expensive but the city will make it up in no time.

seanoff

Juniors
It'd be a bit of a squeeze, but you could fit it in at the Civic Pool.

There's also plenty of room across the road at Commonwealth Park, but that'd be very controversial and a political nightmare to push through, it's not impossible though.

Though Civic would be the best outcome there's no reason why the stadium has to be built at Civic. As long as it's built in one of the city centres, preferably either Civic or Woden because they are the most central, it'll serve it's purpose.
Greenway?

Conner?

Amaroo?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve just moved to Canberra and live pretty close to Manuka oval, so I wish they would bulldoze that and plonk in a lovely new rectangular stadium haha.

I must say. I’m enjoying Canberra much more than Melbourne.

Manuka is a fine cricket ground albeit, a road of a pitch.

id bulldoze Ainslie football club and turn that into a rectangular stadium first.

Latest posts