What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer v Thurston

Who was/is better?

• Total voters

typicalfan

Coach
If I was picking a side I'd select Lockyer before Thurston as he could play in more than one position more than him being a better player.

Thurston though is a bit of a dying breed of halfback sad that there are so few with the instincts of the game.

I think Lockyer always well as a support player too. When he was not the main man, he was as good as any, always backing up on the inside.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Also you can add in that the more recent player is always talked up by the media as being better.
indeed. It could be argued that Thurston was no better ( or not as good ) as Mortimer, Sterling, Kenny, Stuart, Dalley, Fitler, Langer were in their day.
Excellent player but he choked too much.
Especially when under pressure
This made me LOL .....Yep sure did, 30 seconds to go in a GF and choked ....oh no wait that was Thurston ....The one thing Joey didnt ever do was choke under pressure.... on that subject neither did Lockyer....Thurston on the other hand? numerous times.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
indeed. It could be argued that Thurston was no better ( or not as good ) as Mortimer, Sterling, Kenny, Stuart, Dalley, Fitler, Langer were in their day.

This made me LOL .....Yep sure did, 30 seconds to go in a GF and choked ....oh no wait that was Thurston ....The one thing Joey didnt ever do was choke under pressure.... on that subject neither did Lockyer....Thurston on the other hand? numerous times.

Maybe you’ve blocked out what filter did to him in the finals twice then what Lockyer did to him in the 06 finals. Check them out.

King hit

Coach
Maybe you’ve blocked out what filter did to him in the finals twice then what Lockyer did to him in the 06 finals. Check them out.
Johns smashed Fittler up in the 2001 finals. All of those great players dominated each other at one time or another

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
I haven't read the previous 7 pages of "that bloke from my club" but I know one thing, you'd take either of them on any given day.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Except that Johns could tackle in the front line.
And was very slow, can you show me a try from 70m out?

Hey I love Joey, but everyone seems to forget he was very slow.

Lightning quick between the ears on field.

7. Johns 6. Fittler 1. Lockyer

sadly never seen.

Thurston would be on the bench maybe.

blaza88z

Coach
It became a meme but the best thing about Thurston's game was his competitiveness, he would compete on every play, he would often be the bloke ankle tapping someone.

Big Pete

Referee
It became a meme but the best thing about Thurston's game was his competitiveness, he would compete on every play, he would often be the bloke ankle tapping someone.

Absolutely, one of the first plays that JT produced at Origin level was a try-saver.

sadly never seen.

You're not wrong on the 1-6-7, all three played in the same team but Fittler would either play 13 or Johns would be the hooker.

Johns wasn't as quick as either player, but he wasn't a slouch either. He was fantastic at taking on the A defenders and finding space behind the ruck, I would be shocked if he didn't score a long distance try at some point.

Even Wally managed one during his NSWRL playing days.

Tommy Smith

Referee

sadly never seen.

How many tries do halves score from 70m out? I could probably count how many I've seen in my lifetime on one hand.

What matters is how devastating they are taking the line on in the attacking zone. And Johns is by far the most devastating halfback in that terrain that I've ever seen. He was lethal from 10m out.

Fittler similarly leaves all other 5/8s I've seen for dead in this department. His step and power when taking on the line leaves Lockyer in his wake.

JT scored 91 tries from 323 club games. Joey scored 80 in 249; which over 323 games would project as 103.

Now I'd hazard a guess that the majority of Joey's tries were from taking on the line, where he had a massive edge. Where as the majority of JTs would have been in support, where he also had a big edge over Joey.

typicalfan

Coach

sadly never seen.

Not really his go though is it. He was a stronger runner though than Lockyer or Thurston, he could pull through the line like a backrower and pop a ball, that was almost a trademark.

Anyone remember the try in origin in 2000 when he touched the ball 3 times in the lead up to a try.

mongoose

Coach
People forget Lockyer's cover defense at fullback was sensational

Lockyer running it on the last tackle was unbelievable, that was his big play at fullback. The defense rushing up on him to pressure the kick and he would just slide around them and set up a try. He did it ALL the time.

Reactions: gUt

mozza91

Coach
Lockyer for mine. Elite at all levels but a class above for Queensland and Australia. You’d hardly notice Thurston in half of the Origins he played and was pretty inconsistent at club level in the middle part of his career.

Johns is well ahead of both of them though.

Latest posts