What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The unknown

Juniors
Let’s not kid ourselves that qld team is the worst it’s been in years also. If it wasn’t for Munster & DCE we probably Rhomp home in a 3-0 whitewash. Probably says more about how terrible NSW were apart from game 2

The unknown

Juniors
I think his problem is that he is good in a lot of positions. For instance I reckon he is better than Reynolds in every position and better than Momo in the centres.

He was picked for SOO and he didn't look terrible in that environment.

Mate he can’t be too good if he’s been at this club for 2 minutes and he’s already been shuffled around 3 positions. It seems madge is just trying to justify his huge contract at the club now

Is Mybe Club Captain or team captain?

Perhaps it's Club captain and his appointment is because he is media savvy and Benji and Lawrence wanted to concentrate on their games and not media duties.

Tiger05

First Grade
Enough with the overrating of our glorious co-captain please. Good guy no doubt. Hasn't shown much on the field lately.

I don't think I'm overrating him. I don't have any affinity to the guy. I don't really get that with any players now. All I care about is getting a good team and winning games.

I just think Mbye is underrated and Momo overrated and I think it is because of their salaries.

Tiger05

First Grade
Mate he can’t be too good if he’s been at this club for 2 minutes and he’s already been shuffled around 3 positions. It seems madge is just trying to justify his huge contract at the club now

I don't think Madge gives a shit about contract dollars like this. He played Benji over Reynolds because Benji was significantly better when they were on the park.

I honestly think Madge views the situation the same way I do. You play your best players. Mbye is one of those. You also don't overpay and if Mbye keeps performing at the level he is now he isn't getting a top dollar contract again.

Tiger05

First Grade
Is Mybe Club Captain or team captain?

Perhaps it's Club captain and his appointment is because he is media savvy and Benji and Lawrence wanted to concentrate on their games and not media duties.

No. He has is the NRL captain along with Benji. Madge definitely sees something in him.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's pretty simple. Mbye is currently one of our better players and grub has been terrible for us. I mean you can't honestly state that Mbye isn't as good as Reynolds. Mbye is worth 20 times grubs asking price at least.
If Mbye was actually one of our better players we’d b fkd.He deadset isn’t in our top 17.Reynolds is far superior to Mbye albeit they r both on overs.Difference is Reynolds is a tough Cant who plays with intensity as opposed to the peahearted timid Mbye.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Maybe he will become a quality centre but we don't know. I also think that both ideas can be true. Mbye is the better option today but when it comes to putting a team on the park that is under the salary cap Momo might be a good long term option.
Momo has leapfrogged Mbye in pecking order as a centre & by a wide margin.Mbye is so ordinary that Madge will move him on well b4 his contract expires.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Mbye was actually one of our better players we’d b fkd.He deadset isn’t in our top 17.Reynolds is far superior to Mbye albeit they r both on overs.Difference is Reynolds is a tough Cant who plays with intensity as opposed to the peahearted timid Mbye.

Madge sees it differently. So do I. Reynolds has been absolutely terrible in every game I've seen him. He has come up with a couple of good plays but that isn't a good game.

As for Mbye's intensity that is one thing that I definitely disagree with. I reckon Mbye really tries.

Tiger05

First Grade
Momo has leapfrogged Mbye in pecking order as a centre & by a wide margin.Mbye is so ordinary that Madge will move him on well b4 his contract expires.

I understand that this is your opinion. The problem is that I'm pretty confident the club and Madge see the situation differently which is clear as the club is offering Momo up in a trade deal. Madge has also just appointed him captain.

My take is that the Mbye haters of which there are a lot need to view the situation at least somewhat rationally. We should be pretty confident that Madge and the club rate Mbye. Personally I don't think they rate him as a million dollar player and I can't see him being re-signed on top dollar again but it's pretty clear Madge rates Mbye as more important to the team than a lot of our players including Momo.

I get the criticism of Mbye. He has to a lot to do to be an elite level player. Personally I don't think he will ever get to that level. At the same time he is better than Momo is at this point.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
I think his problem is that he is good in a lot of positions. For instance I reckon he is better than Reynolds in every position and better than Momo in the centres.

He was picked for SOO and he didn't look terrible in that environment.
Apart from when he missed Tedesco all ends up to lose Qld the game.
I like Reynolds because he is more likely to spark something than Mybe. More likely to kick it into row 27 as well but live by the sword, die by the sword

stryker

First Grade
I don't think Madge gives a shit about contract dollars like this. He played Benji over Reynolds because Benji was significantly better when they were on the park.

I honestly think Madge views the situation the same way I do. You play your best players. Mbye is one of those. You also don't overpay and if Mbye keeps performing at the level he is now he isn't getting a top dollar contract again.
Where is your evidence that Mbye is one of our best players?

gordynz

Juniors
I don't even think Mbye has played one decent game for us. His stats are terrible, and like someone said, stats aren't the be all end all but when you look at average running metres, tries, tackle busts, line breaks etc for fullbacks, which are very important stats... He ranks right at the very bottom. f**k me, he barely scrapes into our top 3 fullbacks at the club.

Some stats from last year... Do I have to remind you that Mbye is $950k for the next three seasons..

Mbye - Average Running Metres - 107m, Tries - 1, Tackle Busts - 58, Line Breaks - 2
Thompson - Average Running Metres - 133.8m, Tries - 10, Tackle Busts - 100, Line Breaks - 11
Momirovski - Average Running Metres - 127.7m, Tries - 8, Tackle Busts - 36, Line Breaks - 10

Tiger05

First Grade
Where is your evidence that Mbye is one of our best players?

He is the captain of the team. I think calling him one of our best is open to a lot of interpretation. Maybe a better way to state it is the club rates him highly and have picked him as our captain. My comment was that he is definitely a player who makes the top team.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don't believe Mybe is on anywhere near that amount
It’s inconceivable that he could b on that kind of elite players money.I remember reading when we signed him that he was on 675k/yr & the dogs were contributing 175k for the 1st 2 seasons.Even if this bum is on 675k it’s way to disproportionate relative to his ability & contribution to our team.I reckon Ray Dib must have done a shonky deal on the side with the timid hoax’s player manager.

Perth Tiger

Bench
It’s inconceivable that he could b on that kind of elite players money.I remember reading when we signed him that he was on 675k/yr & the dogs were contributing 175k for the 1st 2 seasons.Even if this bum is on 675k it’s way to disproportionate relative to his ability & contribution to our team.I reckon Ray Dib must have done a shonky deal on the side with the timid hoax’s player manager.

That was my recollection as well, as you say still overpriced given his output but hardly crippling to our salary cap. He can at least play at a first grade standard in a number of positions which is very handy having in the squad

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't believe Mybe is on anywhere near that amount

This to me is the whole point. I think he is judged on being an elite player because he is supposedly on elite player money. I'm not sure that we are paying elite player money to him and if he is I don't think that money will continue.

If we are paying him $500k per year he is probably good value. It'll be interesting how Doueihi goes this season as I assume they are on similar amounts.