What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Robbie 12

Juniors
I think so, I just looked up the schools website and it says they had a sporting event on the Saturday the 15th ….cricket, basketball, tennis and whole range a water sports as well, I guess his obligations were or are to the school first
I think that he is also is involved in the BASKETBALL team

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Asked a friend who attended Kings. This is what he said “So at Kings, that rule strictly applies to the division 1 team.
It's because they're worried the player will injure themselves playing club footy. Not allowed to play div.1 team unless you're fully committed to it because it's very competitive amongst certain schools like Kings and other GPS schools.”

southsport

First Grade
Asked a friend who attended Kings. This is what he said “So at Kings, that rule strictly applies to the division 1 team.
It's because they're worried the player will injure themselves playing club footy. Not allowed to play div.1 team unless you're fully committed to it because it's very competitive amongst certain schools like Kings and other GPS schools.”
I was told yesterday that Souths wanted him to move from Kings to Shore as the club has an association with Shore.

Rabbits20

Immortal
[/URL]
Bennett says Mago will thrive after earning new contract

from nrl site written by Joel Gould

Patrick Mago has secured a new one-year deal at the Rabbitohs after winning over coach Wayne Bennett with a blistering pre-season at Redfern.

The 25-year-old prop joined the club on a train and trial deal after being released by the Broncos at the end of last year.

Bennett said he was confident Mago would follow in the footsteps of Rabbitohs prop Liam Knight who secured a four-year extension at the end of a breakout season in 2019.

Mago played two first grade games at the Cowboys in 2017 before joining the Broncos the following year where he played 12 games under Bennett at the back end of the season.

He failed to play any NRL last season at Brisbane and played the year in Intrust Super Cup with Souths-Logan.

When he came to the Broncos in 2018 we thought Pat did a great job for us," Bennett told NRL.com.

"Last year was last year and we all know what happened at the Broncos, but we took him on a train and trial situation here and he will be getting himself a contract, and he's really earned it.

"Pat has worked really hard and lost the weight he needed to lose. I've been really pleased with him and he should be really happy with himself.

"I'm sure by the time this season is over he will be a bit like Liam Knight and there will be a longer deal there for him. That is what we are all hoping for."

Bennett said the best was yet to come from Mago who will bolster the middle forward stocks of South Sydney after the retirement of Sam Burgess and move of George Burgess to Wigan.

Mago has lost five kilos in the pre-season and Bennett said he was on track to get down to his "ideal playing weight of 112 to 114 kilos".

"Pat is much more highly skilled than you realise and he's quite a good defender," Bennett said.

"He has got a hit in him but doesn't miss tackles and for a big guy he doesn't appear to be mobile but he does cover the ground really well.

Pat has also got really good hands. We don't see that too often but he has the smarts to know when to pass and when to hold.

"He has a lot of things we haven't seen yet but we see them all the time at training. We don't have a lot of middles either, and at 115 kilos he is a great weight.

"Pat is a really nice guy too and has fitted in well with all the players here."

Souths-Logan CEO Jim McClelland, who has a 40-year association with Bennett, said he expected Mago to thrive under his former Broncos coach.

"Wayne is the king of getting the best out of young players and Pat Mago is still young," McClelland told NRL.com.

"Wayne wouldn't have taken him if he couldn't get the best out of him and Pat has got ability and size to do well, and he is a super kid.

"Hopefully Wayne can find that X factor he needs to get Pat consistently playing first grade."

Rabbits20

Immortal

NovoBunny94

Juniors
So Jason Demetriou to replace Bennett after next year as head coach at Souths, but not good enough for us, interesting?
What do you mean not good enough?

He isn't exactly the calibre of Trent Robinson, Craig bellamy or has the resumè of Adam obrien but he has been an assistant to Wayne for awhile. You'd think all that wisdom and experience would certainly rub off on Demetriou and hopefully deliver us 23.. after we win this year ofcourse ;)

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Has anyone else read that Shane Richardson is quitting Souths when Bennett Leaves at the end of 2021??
Just read it on footycorner off of Facebook..