What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
The Auckland figure quote was day 2. Total was 40k. And that was year 4. Year 1 combined crowd was 85k.

They didn't get 40K to Auckland in 2017 across the two days.... The 22K is unfortunately about right as the tournament had lost all momentum by then.

There are a few articles out there which support that figure as well:
Crowds for the tournament were as follows:
  • 2014: 89,000
  • 2015: 86,000
  • 2016: 37,000
  • 2017: 22,000

Canard

Immortal
So going on Ticketmaster to see if there is any tickets left for the 13 March Cowboys v Broncos match, and it looks like there are no tickets left?

Saint Doc

Coach
They didn't get 40K to Auckland in 2017 across the two days.... The 22K is unfortunately about right as the tournament had lost all momentum by then.

There are a few articles out there which support that figure as well:
Crowds for the tournament were as follows:
  • 2014: 89,000
  • 2015: 86,000
  • 2016: 37,000
  • 2017: 22,000

Your first link was dead. The second article didn’t specify whether it was a one-day or combined tournament crowd.

I find that figure very hard to believe. I was at the 2017 9’s. The crowd was lower than previous, but find it have hard to believe that is was maximum 11,000 each day. Check out this pic from day 1. Considering there were always heaps of people in the bowels of the stadium, it does not look less than 1/5th full. If 11k was the crowd, you would optimistically have no more than 8k in their seats at any one time. Having been there, I would much more likely believe 22k daily than total.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your first link was dead. The second article didn’t specify whether it was a one-day or combined tournament crowd.

I find that figure very hard to believe. I was at the 2017 9’s. The crowd was lower than previous, but find it have hard to believe that is was maximum 11,000 each day. Check out this pic from day 1. Considering there were always heaps of people in the bowels of the stadium, it does not look less than 1/5th full. If 11k was the crowd, you would optimistically have no more than 8k in their seats at any one time. Having been there, I would much more likely believe 22k daily than total.

it was 22k for both days. Google is your friend

Saint Doc

Coach
it was 22k for both days. Google is your friend

yeah mate. Please provide your source. I’ll bet it’s Wikipedia. Maybe I’ll just go edit it to say 1 billion to prove how unreliable it is.

regardless, 1st Nines in Auckland was 89,000 and Perth was 25,000. And even if the 4th year was combined 22k...that was enough for the Nine’s to be cancelled and moved. So...goodbye Perth!

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeah mate. Please provide your source. I’ll bet it’s Wikipedia. Maybe I’ll just go edit it to say 1 billion to prove how unreliable it is.

regardless, 1st Nines in Auckland was 89,000 and Perth was 25,000. And even if the 4th year was combined 22k...that was enough for the Nine’s to be cancelled and moved. So...goodbye Perth!

haha, nice dodge. You could have always said, sorry I’m wrong lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im not saying I’m wrong. If you can find an official / reputable source saying combined crowd was 22k, I will say I’m wrong.

like I said google it, I found at least 5 articles mentioning the crowd
Here’s one.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/au...8/news-story/b2127da2f07b146477b922947a4cdf42

I think there is a place for the nines and the nrl clearly decided east coast tv viewers were more important this year than west coast bums on seats. Maybe they got more from fox to justify that decision?

I’d rotate it around cities and alternate it two yearly with the all stars game so neither get old hat. Be realistic of a 25-30k crowd across the two days. It’s a fun event that gives fans something a bit different to watch and attend. Theres probably 7 or 8 potential city venues you could rotate it around.

id be happy to see it in perth every five years or so as long as our govt isn’t paying much for it.

beave

Coach
So going on Ticketmaster to see if there is any tickets left for the 13 March Cowboys v Broncos match, and it looks like there are no tickets left?

yeah it’s sold out mate.

They set aside 2 bays for single game membership for that game (a ploy I completely f**king despise) and that’s all that is left. Good outcome but I still think they could of held onto that game til rd3 and had 2 home sell outs in a row.

Last Week

Bench
yeah it’s sold out mate.

They set aside 2 bays for single game membership for that game (a ploy I completely f**king despise) and that’s all that is left. Good outcome but I still think they could of held onto that game til rd3 and had 2 home sell outs in a row.

Absolutely. The first game should be against a lower drawing team. The Titans or Tigers would be a good choice.

sempmrh

Juniors
A little disappointed that the away supporters bay at Queensland Country Bank Stadium is on the upper level. Yeah, I know it's not that big of a deal considering the design of the stands but if you're wanting opposition supporters to come to Townsville at least give them a choice.

beave

Coach
A little disappointed that the away supporters bay at Queensland Country Bank Stadium is on the upper level. Yeah, I know it's not that big of a deal considering the design of the stands but if you're wanting opposition supporters to come to Townsville at least give them a choice.

considering the away tickets that get given to NQ by other
clubs for its away fans memberships, it’s on par. I used to use mine when we played on the GC and it was a shitty corner bay up high. I don’t bother with ticketed away membership anymore because of it, I just have a $60 general non-ticketed membership. Tbh you’re better off going up with friends and sitting amongst the home fans and shit stirring them (respectfully of course). Bantz is what it’s all about imo

Valheru

Coach
So you're saying it would be a sell out in Sydney if the game was there instead of Perth?

No, it would not draw 50k at the SCG

Given Perth gets so few games this one would have to be the most high profile you would think. Surely 20k is the expectation for a footy starved fanbase?

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

Given Perth gets so few games this one would have to be the most high profile you would think. Surely 20k is the expectation for a footy starved fanbase?

Bit rich to project/expect a sellout on another city when your own city with a dominant supporter base can't even deliver the same relative outcome. How many sellouts in 20k+ stadiums does the league deliver in the regular season? Anything over the 15k league average would be a win I'd say in a town where the supporters have no connection to any team playing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Suggesting that the only marker of whether a game should sell out being where the teams finished the year before is a stretch.

Do the Roosters and/or Raiders have a big following in Perth?
What's their form gonna be come Round 11?
How many star players will feature, who's injured and missing?

In places that don't regularly get footy, anything above 75% capacity (in this case 15k) is a win IMO

Valheru

Coach
Suggesting that the only marker of whether a game should sell out being where the teams finished the year before is a stretch.

Do the Roosters and/or Raiders have a big following in Perth?
What's their form gonna be come Round 11?
How many star players will feature, who's injured and missing?

In places that don't regularly get footy, anything above 75% capacity (in this case 15k) is a win IMO

I think you are taking a post that was clearly meant to rile PR up a little too seriously.

I would call 15k a success.

Latest posts