What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Vee

First Grade
The sum total of your contribution in this conversation is that Friz could be on his way to Souffs. Here’s a scoop for you, he’s not.

The sum total of your contribution elsewhere has been about equal to the log that I dropped in the bowl this morning. While significant in volume, it was completely without substance.

You’re just another incarnation of the same Souffs fan that comes on here and acts like a f**king knob. It happens so regularly that I’ve come to assume that you’re all alts, who are pretending to be Souffs fans to give Souffs supporters a bad name.

There’s some very good Souffs fans on here that don’t deserve to be associated with you, and others have been driven off by your special style of dumbmerkinery.

Sorry all. f**k the off-season. It really ruins my sunny disposition. Bring on the footy already.
Such a great name, such a poor contributer

Ha. You guys are world class sooks. Major meltdown sook when Mitchell wanted to talk to other clubs while on contract. Now major sook cos you can't poach someone who's still on contract.

No hypocrisy there guys

Just because its true doesnt make it right. Dont get on Uncle Nics shitlist.

Who this time?

Russell Packer. There is an article in today's Daily Telegraph which says -

The NRL career of struggling Wests Tigers marquee prop Russell Packer is in danger of being cut short due to a mystery foot injury that has prevented him from running or taking part in a single ball work session all summer.

The predicament could lead to a medically forced retirement similar to those of Sam Burgess and Ben Matulino.

Packer, 30, again met with medical experts on Wednesday in an attempt to get to the bottom of the problem.

He is believed to have suffered the injury playing NSW Canterbury Cup in late July and it required surgery.

But Packer has since not taken part in any team running sessions and it is unknown when or if he will be able to play again.

He will struggle to play any part in the Tigers’ top squad in the foreseeable future given he just can’t shake the pain.

It is particularly concerning for the Tigers from a salary cap perspective because Packer is said to be earning well over $700,000 a season and is contracted until the end of next year.

While the Tigers would have already paid him his wages between November and February, estimated to be in the vicinity of $250,000, they still have at least $1.2 million to pay before his contract finishes.

It is a huge salary cap burden that leaves coach Michael Maguire with little choice but to forge ahead with a front-tow rotation that is short on experience and leadership.

While there have been rumblings that Packer and Maguire had a fallout very early on, Maguire has denied any dispute.

The Packer situation could be a blessing in disguise for the Tigers.

The NRL has shown in the past there is an avenue to have a players’ wage wiped off the salary cap if it can be proven the injury was not pre-existing, as was the case with Burgess and Matulino.

While Maguire is not the type to complain about his predicament, you can only imagine the possible conversations behind closed doors since his arrival in relation to some of the recruitment decisions made under Ivan Cleary’s watch.

Cleary brought Packer, Matulino, Josh Reynolds, Chris McQueen and Moses Mbye to the club following the departures of James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and Mitchell Moses.

Matulino was forced into early retirement because of a knee injury, which reportedly cleared almost $800,000 in salary cap space.

Packer played 19 NRL games in 2018 under Cleary but has not been seen in the NRL under Maguire since round six last year against Parramatta, when the Tigers were flogged 51-6 at Bankwest Stadium.

SBD82

Coach
Well I ve never understood why clubs are penalised for having a player who can no longer play.
I take your point. Not sure I’m as absolute.

I figure there’s a balance to be struck between the risk of clubs rorting the cap vs protecting players’ welfare. I don’t think that the seemingly arbitrary nature of their decision making is necessarily the right balance at the moment, but I’d certainly err on the side of protecting the players.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Russell Packer has a mysterious foot injury aye...

If it was the foot he used to stomp on the bloke’s head, it is the best occurrence of karma I’ve ever heard of.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Can't blame Cleary for the signing of McQueen. That was stairwell Taylor's parting gift.

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
Russell Packer has a mysterious foot injury aye...

If it was the foot he used to stomp on the bloke’s head, it is the best occurrence of karma I’ve ever heard of.
Nearly the best.
The ( Perth 9s, St George winger, the touchline ) and Ivan Cleary beg to differ.

...>>> "Rumour is Tyson Frizell was at West Leagues club to sign a contract yesterday arvo"
Taylor, I hope your intel isn't as dodgy as the logo in your avatar.