What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

T-Boon

Coach
I'm no BRL historian.. does anyone know what names are there that fit that "revive something old" idea?

Someone use to suggest reviving the Brisbane Firsts or Combined Brisbane. I think they use to play in Panasonic cup or something. Was like a Brisbane rep team same as City or Country. I think its a great idea.

MugaB

Coach
Looking in from the outside, that would be MY preferred outcome if Brisbane 2 is what we're getting.

Use something that's got BRL history, but not a current club as that could easily become a sort of Manly or Cronulla style suburban enclave if we're not careful (hello Redcliffe, and to a degree Ipswich too).

I'm no BRL historian.. does anyone know what names are there that fit that "revive something old" idea?
Screenshot_20191015-050326_Word.jpg
Screenshot_20191012-104514_Gallery.jpg

MugaB

Coach
The BRL was not much different to the NSWRL in regards to our Sydney based teams, most of the teams started in 1909, some are still around today, although when the brisbane broncos came about, the BRL became second tier overnight, but prior to that the games were good and rivalries were a plenty, i wouldn't name a new team after one of these, purely due to most of them still exist as part of the current Q Cup, and that would cause decisiveness when really you'd want a unified team, which was what the broncos became in 1988, a promotion would be better, but that also could cause problems too.

Diesel

Referee
If the QRL or BRL gets behind the bid they should go for a Brisbane United FC and choose something iconic to Brisbane.

other names; Queensland Kings, Brisbane Kookaburras, Moreton Bay Rays

The Great Dane

First Grade
Using a brl brand is just going to put offside the grassroots support for a second club that isn’t keen on the broncos. Unless the new club is going to be largely reliant on pokie revenue from a LC then it has to have a broad enough appeal to get 25k members and 20k plus crowds if it has any hope of competing against the biggest club in RL on its doorstep. It’s best, and probably only hope is to either be a broncos city wide clone or a strong regional population identity. Calling it North Brisbane something’s but owned by Redcliffe playing out of Suncorp or a South Queensland something owned by Ipswich etc.

this requirement to still be reliant on LC’s rather than the nrl supporting the growth remains the biggest difference to afl expansion model and why we will always struggle to move beyond our traditional boundaries.

Exactly, any new Brisbane club needs a neutral brand.

If you bring in e.g. the Dolphins, all you are going to do is ostracize most RL fans in Brisbane that aren't Dolphins fans, and those people are one of the main groups that any new Brisbane club needs to engage with.

If the Dolphins want to own the new Brisbane club that is fine though, but they need to leave Redcliffe and the Dolphins behind to do it, and take on a new brand that represents a large part of Brisbane. In other words they need to copy what the Queanbeyan Blues did when they created the Canberra Raiders.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Looking in from the outside, that would be MY preferred outcome if Brisbane 2 is what we're getting.

Use something that's got BRL history, but not a current club as that could easily become a sort of Manly or Cronulla style suburban enclave if we're not careful (hello Redcliffe, and to a degree Ipswich too).

You'd have to go way back to find a neutral brand from the BRL/QRL that would be appropriate, and most of the clubs didn't have nicknames back then, so you'd be hard pressed to find one that would work.

However in saying that, I remember that one of the really early BRL clubs (can't remember which one) was nicknamed something like the Grave Siders. With the right spin you could pull a Western Sydney Wanderers style marketing campaign with a name like that, for the name to make sense you'd probably have to base the club near a famous cemetery or something though.

flippikat

Bench
You'd have to go way back to find a neutral brand from the BRL/QRL that would be appropriate, and most of the clubs didn't have nicknames back then, so you'd be hard pressed to find one that would work.

Yeah, that's probably got me thinking "Combined Brisbane" or some neutral brand would work best.

Drawback to Combined Brisbane is that the old red and white colours kinda step on the Dragons toes.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Exactly, any new Brisbane club needs a neutral brand.

If you bring in e.g. the Dolphins, all you are going to do is ostracize most RL fans in Brisbane that aren't Dolphins fans, and those people are one of the main groups that any new Brisbane club needs to engage with.

If the Dolphins want to own the new Brisbane club that is fine though, but they need to leave Redcliffe and the Dolphins behind to do it, and take on a new brand that represents a large part of Brisbane. In other words they need to copy what the Queanbeyan Blues did when they created the Canberra Raiders.
This could work. The dolphins own the new Brisbane2 licence, a neutral brand is established with the Dolphins being the exclusive Queensland based feeder team for the club.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

However in saying that, I remember that one of the really early BRL clubs (can't remember which one) was nicknamed something like the Grave Siders. With the right spin you could pull a Western Sydney Wanderers style marketing campaign with a name like that, for the name to make sense you'd probably have to base the club near a famous cemetery or something though.
The Grave/Cemetry Siders were based out of Toowong (inner western Brisbane) and were so named because of the massive Cemetry there.

I think I've made reference to this in the Expansion Team Names post where they could resurrect the Cemetry siders as the Reapers and re-establish the Toowong based club's history.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah, that's probably got me thinking "Combined Brisbane" or some neutral brand would work best.

Drawback to Combined Brisbane is that the old red and white colours kinda step on the Dragons toes.
Having the same colours as the Dragons is the least of the problems with Combined Brisbane.

Combined Brisbane was not only intended to be a representative brand, but it was a product of it's time that would be very hard to modernise.They also wouldn't actually be a Combined Brisbane team so long as the Broncos exist.

Bringing back the Combined Brisbane brand for an NRL team now would be like trying to morph City into an NRL club now with all the NRL clubs in Sydney still around, it'd result in at best an extremely bland generic brand that would be nonsensical in the context of club team.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Grave/Cemetry Siders were based out of Toowong (inner western Brisbane) and were so named because of the massive Cemetry there.

I think I've made reference to this in the Expansion Team Names post where they could resurrect the Cemetry siders as the Reapers and re-establish the Toowong based club's history.

I'm pretty sure I was the guy that introduced you to the name.

Maybe it wasn't you, but I was talking to somebody when old BRL names came up and I mentioned seeing it mentioned in Our Game (great book by the way, I highly recommend it) and they made me look it up and find it.

T-Boon

Coach
Combined Brisbane could work as a name in the same way 'united' (Man United etc) works as a name. Plus offer the ownership of it as a joint venture to each of the Brisbane Queensland cup teams.

MugaB

Coach
I want that as a poster.

Although it's odd that it includes the State Wide Comp sides logos but only features BRL players head shots.

Edit, I've realised you combined images there.
Ive got heaps of pics from the BRL, this was something i posted as an example

MugaB

Coach
Originally there were roughly 8 brl clubs
Then the statewide clubs came later on
Scorpions had merged with Souths Magpies.
Screenshot_20191012-141410_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20191012-141434_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20191015-050614_Word.jpg Screenshot_20191012-110500_Samsung Internet.jpg

If i had to pick one to represent another Brisbane side it would probably be the Devils
But the colors are pretty much GC Titans colors, maybe go Orange, Red and Purple

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee

Suncorp is built on an actual graveyard

The Great Dane

First Grade
Originally there were roughly 8 brl clubs
Then the statewide clubs came later on
Scorpions had merged with Souths Magpies.
View attachment 36213 View attachment 36214 View attachment 36210 View attachment 36215

If i had to pick one to represent another Brisbane side it would probably be the Devils
But the colors are pretty much GC Titans colors, maybe go Orange, Red and Purple

Do the Devils know that you are nominating them for an NRL license, because I don't think that they want one, lol.