What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium Madness

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The Nines tournament in Perth, which, after attracting poor local support, is likely to be played in traditional RL strongholds from next year, exposed the lack of thinking that's gone into our stadium construction.

By the time that ANZ is redeveloped, the State Government will have paid a king's ransom for the Bankwest, Allianz and ANZ rebuilds and not one of these stadiums will have a retractable roof to protect us from extreme conditions ie heat and rain.

The Perth Nines was played in 40C temperatures- It is only a matter of time before a player collapses and dies- and not just in this tournament. Traditional winter sports, Rugby 7s, A League matches, AFLW and NRL trial matches are played at this time of year as well.

The Fire Fight Australia Concert at ANZ was lucky to have gotten away with clear weather on Sunday night. If the concert had been held tonight, a major hail storm would have affected it.

Meanwhile Melbourne, way ahead of us as usual, boasts mulit-purpose Etihad. Even lowly Dunedin in NZ has a roofed multi purpose stadium supported by a population of a mere 130.000 people.

The NRL should be pushing this issue way more than they are- it has the potential to be a major health and safety issue with legal ramifications if they don't.

snogard6

Juniors
The Nines tournament in Perth, which, after attracting poor local support, is likely to be played in traditional RL strongholds from next year, exposed the lack of thinking that's gone into our stadium construction.

By the time that ANZ is redeveloped, the State Government will have paid a king's ransom for the Bankwest, Allianz and ANZ rebuilds and not one of these stadiums will have a retractable roof to protect us from extreme conditions ie heat and rain.

The Perth Nines was played in 40C temperatures- It is only a matter of time before a player collapses and dies- and not just in this tournament. Traditional winter sports, Rugby 7s, A League matches, AFLW and NRL trial matches are played at this time of year as well.

The Fire Fight Australia Concert at ANZ was lucky to have gotten away with clear weather on Sunday night. If the concert had been held tonight, a major hail storm would have affected it.

Meanwhile Melbourne, way ahead of us as usual, boasts mulit-purpose Etihad. Even lowly Dunedin in NZ has a roofed multi purpose stadium supported by a population of a mere 130.000 people.

The NRL should be pushing this issue way more than they are- it has the potential to be a major health and safety issue with legal ramifications if they don't.
Hahaha. Is that you Bill Shorten??

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I dunno. I kind of like the idea that it can be snowing in Canberra, or players have to leave the field because of lightning, or a grand final may be decided in a mud bowl. It brings another dimension to the game where both teams have to adjust to the prevailing conditions.

True_Believer

Juniors
I dunno. I kind of like the idea that it can be snowing in Canberra, or players have to leave the field because of lightning, or a grand final may be decided in a mud bowl. It brings another dimension to the game where both teams have to adjust to the prevailing conditions.

Alternatively:

"Oh no it's raining!! Quickly close the roof before the players melt or drown!!! We don't want them getting wet and catching a cold!"

"Oh no, it's above the recommended 24 degrees. Quickly close the roof and turn the air cons on before someone dies!!!'

merahputih

Juniors
Alternatively:

"Oh no it's raining!! Quickly close the roof before the players melt or drown!!! We don't want them getting wet and catching a cold!"

"Oh no, it's above the recommended 24 degrees. Quickly close the roof and turn the air cons on before someone dies!!!'
Ironic that the premiership trophy has a sculptured image of "The Gladiators" award winning photo of Norm Provan and Arthur Summons covered in mud after the 1963 Grand Final at the SCG.
I think Jack Gibson (ironically) might have planted the seeds of this madness in 1967 when he brought in the practice of the Roosters running out in clean jerseys in the 2nd half.

Old Timer

Coach
Ironic that the premiership trophy has a sculptured image of "The Gladiators" award winning photo of Norm Provan and Arthur Summons covered in mud after the 1963 Grand Final at the SCG.
I think Jack Gibson (ironically) might have planted the seeds of this madness in 1967 when he brought in the practice of the Roosters running out in clean jerseys in the 2nd half.
Kevin Junee was too small to wear a mud caked jersey for 80 minutes.
Bring back the old style jerseys as well I say TBH I can't stand all the skin tight jerseys of today.
Nothing like a day of footy in the wet and the mud caked ball attempts at drop goal from 15 out in front which go Kaplop.
f**k having a roof over the top (that's all about soft cock supporters not the players) just play and watch in the conditions as they present themselves.

TruSaint

Referee
Our game is best played with no roof. Wind, rain, heat etc are all elements which have been dealt with for a century.

Coaches need to coach and players adapt to the environment.

If the temperature reaches dangerous levels, as the code has in the past, then a dinks break every 20 odd minutes is introduced. It means the interchange has to be carefully monitored.

Some of the most exciting games I have watched live have been in atrocious conditions. I recall a Parra game at Kogarah many years ago with a massive downpour, and more recently the hail at the SFS v Chooks.

merahputih

Juniors
071365_inset.jpg
Crowd Safety 1965 style at the SCG Grand Final Dragons V Souths.Official crowd was 78,056 but many believe it was at least 90,000. Bob McCarthy tells the story that, as was his usual routine, he drove himself from his home in Redfern 2 hours before kick off and couldn't get near the ground to park because of the crowd. Police let him park outside the Bat and Ball pub and walk to the ground.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I don't mind wet weather footy...but they need to build stands that cover all supporters regardless of where they sit. They do this, and they'll have more supporters turning up to games when it's raining.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
071365_inset.jpg
Crowd Safety 1965 style at the SCG Grand Final Dragons V Souths.Official crowd was 78,056 but many believe it was at least 90,000. Bob McCarthy tells the story that, as was his usual routine, he drove himself from his home in Redfern 2 hours before kick off and couldn't get near the ground to park because of the crowd. Police let him park outside the Bat and Ball pub and walk to the ground.

I was there that day as a teenager- great game but I was lucky I wasn't crushed to death when a surge of spectators pinned me to a wall near the Drivers Road Entrance.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I don't mind wet weather footy...but they need to build stands that cover all supporters regardless of where they sit. They do this, and they'll have more supporters turning up to games when it's raining.

It's what can come with the rain- golf ball sized hail stones- that are the real problem. Sydney has had quite a few of those events recently. The storm season includes February when more and more winter style sports are now being played. Yes, cricketers have had to manage with storms since day dot but they tend to have a greater aversion to water than other team sports and don't hang around.

Gareth67

First Grade
It's what can come with the rain- golf ball sized hail stones- that are the real problem. Sydney has had quite a few of those events recently. The storm season includes February when more and more winter style sports are now being played. Yes, cricketers have had to manage with storms since day dot but they tend to have a greater aversion to water than other team sports and don't hang around.

Your right , red and white . The climate has changed for the worse over the last few years or so and as you have said those thunderstorms from Hades can cause so much damage, more so to the players. I also enjoyed the games from years ago where teams would grind out a victory in atrocious conditions BUT they were played in the cold winter season where the temperatures were low and no chance of lighting strikes .

Also the people who ran the game in that era had sufficient grey matter to ensure that the game had a very short season without all of the associated razzle dazzle competitions that we have today . Besides if the silly beggars from the state government which to spend zillions of dollars on their fancy new stadiums then why not have one with a retractable roof - or is the NRL going to continue to be separated from the rest the world because of its staid thinking .

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Your right , red and white . The climate has changed for the worse over the last few years or so and as you have said those thunderstorms from Hades can cause so much damage, more so to the players. I also enjoyed the games from years ago where teams would grind out a victory in atrocious conditions BUT they were played in the cold winter season where the temperatures were low and no chance of lighting strikes .

Also the people who ran the game in that era had sufficient grey matter to ensure that the game had a very short season without all of the associated razzle dazzle competitions that we have today . Besides if the silly beggars from the state government which to spend zillions of dollars on their fancy new stadiums then why not have one with a retractable roof - or is the NRL going to continue to be separated from the rest the world because of its staid thinking .

Well said Gareth- of course, winter rain is something players should have to deal with- no issue- someone referred to the Provan Summons Gladiator trophy with the players caked in mud. I was there on that day at my preferred spot- the Hill- loved the game but I'm sure I didn't have to deal with hailstones on my noggin!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
In Canberra where I live we have some bone chilling nights where you can’t even take a piss without your old fella snapping off. The Raiders fans rug up and head out. It makes me wonder how many Sydney teams fans would head out in -8. The biggest issue in Canberra at least is that the stadium is in Bruce and has nothing going on around it. I would attend a lot more games even ones not featuring the Dragons if the stadium were in Civic or Manuka. Would be nice to hit the bars after a game like in Brisbane. Brisbane has a great atmosphere around game day, no need for the roof just need good access and post game activities so the whole night is an event.

Just make sure Kogarah is up to scratch.

There’s some professional league players playing on it this year that will be playing in the finals.

possm

Coach

Hey, you and I are old enough to remember the muddy field, heavy rain, lighting and sometimes hail we continued to play under.

First grade rugby league used to be played in heavy mud in front of the goal posts at each end of the field. I remember watching games where you could not see the numbers on the jumpers and sometimes not be able to identify a player covered in mud.

Climate change is real but has been there for millions of years. Innovative measures will be found to mitigate the effects but there will always be politicians there to try and obtain an advantage using scare mongering statements. If you want to test my theory just ask any politician advocating climate change policy 'why do you need to increase taxes' and how will this money you collect change a thing?