What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

The unknown

Juniors
Yes, I thought Thommo didn't do his game any harm through the Nines tournament, I would expect Douiehi to get the No1 jersey, but he will kept honest by this bloke.

Every team needs a Corey Thompson in their side. I reckon he slots in at wing but madge isn’t afraid to leave players out of the side altogether...

The bonus for Thommo is he can slot straight in at FB if something happened to AD during the game

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Thanks for the info.That works for me. At my age I can wait a lot longer to buy food and drink than I can wait to get to the toilet.

There's definitely food and drinks around the try line of the North Western side of the ground. Not far from the Morrison Dungeon.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Every team needs a Corey Thompson in their side. I reckon he slots in at wing but madge isn’t afraid to leave players out of the side altogether...

The bonus for Thommo is he can slot straight in at FB if something happened to AD during the game
Also if something happened to Benji or Brooks Madge has a very competent AD to fill the void.

Madge has the luxury of having a no. of players in the squad who are very versatile.Hence this is the strongest squad we’ve had in ages & it’s going to get a lot stronger once Madge weeds out Cleary’s overpaid garbage plus transforms the talent in our lower grades like Hoffman into quality 1st graders.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This definitely falls into the "other stuff category. My apologies if I should have posted this somewhere else.

I have booked my tickets for the Tigers V Knights game and I am on the Hill side on the opposite end to Mary Street. (where I have always sat before) Excuse my ignorance but are there toilets, food stalls, beer stalls down the end where I will be?

I have always driven but I am thinking of public transport from the Northern Beaches. Any tips?

Any game day tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks

hey mate there’s a beer stall behind the goal posts there near the Glenn Morrison toilets. From what I’ve seen the only food is next to the scoreboard on the hill and under the grandstand on the Mary St entrance side. My advice would be pack your own, foods horrible, insanely over priced and good luck getting out of the line in under 30 mins.

If you’re going to drive my advice is to get there before 2pm. I’ve had success parking in the side streets east of Balmain Road or South of the light rail. More recently what I’ve done is drive to Jubilee Park and get the light rail. It’s only 3 Short stops, a nice walk and much easier to get out of then Leichhardt after the game.

super_coach

First Grade
I always park south of city west link. Unrestricted parking near the old cyclops factory in Leichhardt, about a ten minute walk to the Mary street gates. The best thing you never get caught up in the post game traffic shambles.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Thanks buddy, I appreciate the info. I'm so hyped.

Also, re: travelling via PT from Northern Beaches. I find that 'B Line' bus service pretty good and quick. It goes from Mona Vale to Wynyard. Jump off there, and jump on another bus towards the ground. If you've got the exuberance in you I'd recommend a pub crawl to the ground from Victoria Rd and down Darling St to the oval. Enjoy!

gordsy

Juniors
Talk of us still chasing Grant. Personally I hoe we can piss Eisenhuth off and upgradetSimpkins..
It means we accelerate his development instead of pinning all our hopes on Liddlle, which may cause Liddle to break into pieces and another year off.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Also, re: travelling via PT from Northern Beaches. I find that 'B Line' bus service pretty good and quick. It goes from Mona Vale to Wynyard. Jump off there, and jump on another bus towards the ground. If you've got the exuberance in you I'd recommend a pub crawl to the ground from Victoria Rd and down Darling St to the oval. Enjoy!
Or get the bus to Wynyard then train to Central & get the light rail to Leichhardt. Then you don't have to worry about slow road traffic from city to Leichhardt.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm hearing Packer has sustained another injury and may be legible for medical retirement. No idea if there is any truth to it but f**k me this would be massive for us. If there is any way we can sign Grant from Storm this would also be huge for us. I don't see Liddle ever being able to regularly play FG and Reynolds is not a legit hooker option. I hate to say it but it would be very beneficial if we were able to clear them off out books as well.

There is a very real possibility of Tigers having an insane war chest for 2021 season on-wards. Throw everything to get Addo-Carr and Tedesco back to Tigers!

The unknown

Juniors
The lack of an experienced forward leader is pretty concerning though. Not that it really mattered to us last year, but our forward pack is basically still just a bunch of kids. If we can somehow medically retire Packer I’d throw the kitchen sink at Frizell or atleast some rep level forward

Phil Gould

Juniors
The lack of an experienced forward leader is pretty concerning though. Not that it really mattered to us last year, but our forward pack is basically still just a bunch of kids. If we can somehow medically retire Packer I’d throw the kitchen sink at Frizell or atleast some rep level forward

Without Packer and Matalino, Tig’s need one or two rough, scary heads in the pack.

axl rose

Bench
Apparently he hasn't trained/run all offseason. The clowns at the NRL have really opened a Pandora's box with these 'medical' retirements though. Anyway not our problem, clear the decks for a big name.

I'm hearing Packer has sustained another injury and may be legible for medical retirement.

https://tinyurl.com/t74pvth

The NRL career of struggling Wests Tigers marquee prop Russell Packer is in danger of being cut short due to a mystery foot injury that has prevented him from running or taking part in a single ball work session all summer.

The predicament could lead to a medically forced retirement similar to those of Sam Burgess and Ben Matulino.

Packer, 30, again met with medical experts on Wednesday in an attempt to get to the bottom of the problem.

He is believed to have suffered the injury playing NSW Canterbury Cup in late July and it required surgery.

But Packer has since not taken part in any team running sessions and it is unknown when or if he will be able to play again.

He will struggle to play any part in the Tigers’ top squad in the foreseeable future given he just can’t shake the pain.

It is particularly concerning for the Tigers from a salary cap perspective because Packer is said to be earning well over $700,000 a season and is contracted until the end of next year.

While the Tigers would have already paid him his wages between November and February, estimated to be in the vicinity of $250,000, they still have at least $1.2 million to pay before his contract finishes.

It is a huge salary cap burden that leaves coach Michael Maguire with little choice but to forge ahead with a front-tow rotation that is short on experience and leadership.

While there have been rumblings that Packer and Maguire had a fallout very early on, Maguire has denied any dispute.

The Packer situation could be a blessing in disguise for the Tigers.

The NRL has shown in the past there is an avenue to have a players’ wage wiped off the salary cap if it can be proven the injury was not pre-existing, as was the case with Burgess and Matulino.

While Maguire is not the type to complain about his predicament, you can only imagine the possible conversations behind closed doors since his arrival in relation to some of the recruitment decisions made under Ivan Cleary’s watch.

Cleary brought Packer, Matulino, Josh Reynolds, Chris McQueen and Moses Mbye to the club following the departures of James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and Mitchell Moses.

Matulino was forced into early retirement because of a knee injury, which reportedly cleared almost $800,000 in salary cap space.

Packer played 19 NRL games in 2018 under Cleary but has not been seen in the NRL under Maguire since round six last year against Parramatta, when the Tigers were flogged 51-6 at Bankwest Stadium.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Apparently he hasn't trained/run all offseason. The clowns at the NRL have really opened a Pandora's box with these 'medical' retirements though. Anyway not our problem, clear the decks for a big name.

https://tinyurl.com/t74pvth

The NRL career of struggling Wests Tigers marquee prop Russell Packer is in danger of being cut short due to a mystery foot injury that has prevented him from running or taking part in a single ball work session all summer.

The predicament could lead to a medically forced retirement similar to those of Sam Burgess and Ben Matulino.

Packer, 30, again met with medical experts on Wednesday in an attempt to get to the bottom of the problem.

He is believed to have suffered the injury playing NSW Canterbury Cup in late July and it required surgery.

But Packer has since not taken part in any team running sessions and it is unknown when or if he will be able to play again.

He will struggle to play any part in the Tigers’ top squad in the foreseeable future given he just can’t shake the pain.

It is particularly concerning for the Tigers from a salary cap perspective because Packer is said to be earning well over $700,000 a season and is contracted until the end of next year.

While the Tigers would have already paid him his wages between November and February, estimated to be in the vicinity of $250,000, they still have at least $1.2 million to pay before his contract finishes.

It is a huge salary cap burden that leaves coach Michael Maguire with little choice but to forge ahead with a front-tow rotation that is short on experience and leadership.

While there have been rumblings that Packer and Maguire had a fallout very early on, Maguire has denied any dispute.

The Packer situation could be a blessing in disguise for the Tigers.

The NRL has shown in the past there is an avenue to have a players’ wage wiped off the salary cap if it can be proven the injury was not pre-existing, as was the case with Burgess and Matulino.

While Maguire is not the type to complain about his predicament, you can only imagine the possible conversations behind closed doors since his arrival in relation to some of the recruitment decisions made under Ivan Cleary’s watch.

Cleary brought Packer, Matulino, Josh Reynolds, Chris McQueen and Moses Mbye to the club following the departures of James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and Mitchell Moses.

Matulino was forced into early retirement because of a knee injury, which reportedly cleared almost $800,000 in salary cap space.

Packer played 19 NRL games in 2018 under Cleary but has not been seen in the NRL under Maguire since round six last year against Parramatta, when the Tigers were flogged 51-6 at Bankwest Stadium.
That’s great news..

gordsy

Juniors
I'm hearing Packer has sustained another injury and may be legible for medical retirement. No idea if there is any truth to it but f**k me this would be massive for us. If there is any way we can sign Grant from Storm this would also be huge for us. I don't see Liddle ever being able to regularly play FG and Reynolds is not a legit hooker option. I hate to say it but it would be very beneficial if we were able to clear them off out books as well.

There is a very real possibility of Tigers having an insane war chest for 2021 season on-wards. Throw everything to get Addo-Carr and Tedesco back to Tigers!
Why sign Grant for one year if we could promote Simpkins to first grade and have him with us for the long term ? You use Mybe / Reynolds etc with him this year if he can't play a full 80 then next year give him the job on his own.

macnaz

Staff member
It looks like Lodge has had a big hit of Karma and done his ACL, maybe the Bronks might be interested in a swap...Turpin for Packer or maybe just take Packer off our books
It's being reported that Packer has a mystery foot injury and hasnt done any ball work training all summer , sounds like a potential retirement ?

Latest posts