What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Charity Shield

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In your opinion not mine.
And I will not change it because you think I sould.
After a few week 4 or 5 I'll review my option.
Until then that is my option
Don’t get so defensive. I’m pointing out it’s not my opinion that it should speed up decision making.

It’s the NRL’s theory that it should.

No one is asking you to change your opinion.

Old Timer

Coach
With the captains challenge can the ref instantly dismiss it if the captain is blatantly incorrect in respect of what he is challenging?
For instance Melbourne get a player sent to the bin with 5 on the clock and then they defend several sets and are getting gassed whilst defending a 3 point lead.
Opposition have the ball, Smith rushes up out of the defensive line on the 5th tackle, clearly knocks the ball on and the ref says scrum.
Smith then challenges the ref in an effort to get his side a breather and reset the defensive line in addition they get the time required to set the scrum.
It is clearly a knock on but he has the right to challenge but it is frivolous and clear exploration of the rule so can it happen?
If so then the attacking team are clearly disadvantaged.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
With the captains challenge can the ref instantly dismiss it if the captain is blatantly incorrect in respect of what he is challenging?
For instance Melbourne get a player sent to the bin with 5 on the clock and then they defend several sets and are getting gassed whilst defending a 3 point lead.
Opposition have the ball, Smith rushes up out of the defensive line on the 5th tackle, clearly knocks the ball on and the ref says scrum.
Smith then challenges the ref in an effort to get his side a breather and reset the defensive line in addition they get the time required to set the scrum.
It is clearly a knock on but he has the right to challenge but it is frivolous and clear exploration of the rule so can it happen?
That all comes down to them not having got a contested a decision wrong before during the half. Considering there are what, 10-15 stoppages a half, that gives plenty of opportunity that they may have used it already. Particularly a known ref harasser like Smith.

But yes, in that case it would provide an advantage to the defending team, and the NRL have acknowledged the end of game part is where they’ll be watching closely to see the impact. If players start abusing it, something will change. Look at the passing into the defender nonsense from 2018.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Of course the captains will abuse this.
When it comes down to it you're winning by a few points of course you're going to use it

Old Timer

Coach
Of course the captains will abuse this.
When it comes down to it you're winning by a few points of course you're going to use it
I agree with you that this extra burden of the Captains call will only slow the game down further and it will be exploited by the cheats in the game.
On another note I am glad to see your comprehension skills are working as always Samy and it is excellent that you (who is much maligned by another) understand for a captain to make a challenge he actually has to have 1 to make.
Obviously if you don't have 1 you can't make 1, easy for some to comprehend not so easy for others.
I can't wait to see the fiasco this is going to create.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I agree with you that this extra burden of the Captains call will only slow the game down further and it will be exploited by the cheats in the game.
On another note I am glad to see your comprehension skills are working as always Samy and it is excellent that you (who is much maligned by another) understand for a captain to make a challenge he actually has to have 1 to make.
Obviously if you don't have 1 you can't make 1, easy for some to comprehend not so easy for others.
I can't wait to see the fiasco this is going to create.

If I was say the dragons captain (hypothetically) leading in a game and we had a penalty against us , and we had been defending 3 or4 repeat sets in a row ( even if I new the penalty was legit) I would query it as it would take a couple of minutes at least for it to be reviewed and in that couple of minutes it's amazing how well you can recover. But I don't need to tell you that OT you already knew

Dragonsamy

Bench
The captains are only allowed one call per half.

Exactly.
So that is why if you haven't use it you will.
Just like challenges in the tennis. You will see people using them just because they're there or they need a rest. Or you can slow down the opposition

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Yes Uncle Wayne says Jimmy the jet is looking good, maybe Mary's two superstar centres, will cut him down to size..... ...........maybe mary

Old Timer

Coach
Smith would have hated this rule. Only one whinge allowed per half.
My understanding is he can still whinge as much as and as many times as he likes so nothing changes there but now he has the opportunity to force the referee to actually act on his dummy spit when it suits him most to do so and he gets to do it in both halves.
For this to work the ref has to say are you challenging yes or no and if no play on instantly but we all know that is not how it will actually play out.
What I would like confirmed is if you successfully challenge do you keep your challenge in that half?

Dragonsamy

Bench
My understanding is he can still whinge as much as and as many times as he likes so nothing changes there but now he has the opportunity to force the referee to actually act on his dummy spit when it suits him most to do so and he gets to do it in both halves.
For this to work the ref has to say are you challenging yes or no and if no play on instantly but we all know that is not how it will actually play out.
What I would like confirmed is if you successfully challenge do you keep your challenge in that half?

I think you do. From what I can understand

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No.

The rule says only one incorrect challenge per half, nothing about correct challenges.

Therefore a captain can get one challenge wrong, but can’t get any challenges correct.

Old Timer

Coach
I think you do. From what I can understand
Samy
I believe you can keep challenging rulings as long as you are proven correct
As soon as you get 1 wrong that is it for the half
So if a ref gets 3 wrong and you have challenged all 3 then you still have the right to challenge if you so desire.
I note that some people are focussing on the wrong call rather than how many right calls you can have whilst you and I understand that 1 wrong call stops the cycle.

Latest posts