What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

So if we stop immigration we’ll be economically booming?

If we lower it (no one wants to stop it) then it will put some pressure on the labour pool, which will put pressure on wage growth. It could also release some pressure on the housing market, but suppliers could counter that by simply reducing supply, so...

And GDP growth is meaningless if the per capita GDP rate is negative. Which it is for us. Hence the immigration reduction.

I'm glad you asked. The reason why Toyota et al closed their doors was because it was impossible to build a competitive vehicle in this country because of labour costs etc.

So indeed the closure was inevitable. The outcry at the time was that we would have mass unemployment in the sector and closures of small to medium industries that supply parts.

Instead there was no spike and the transition was measured and successful.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the...akers-closed-their-doors-20190613-p51xdl.html

Indeed it was a perfect case study of how workers in a redundant industry can retool and gain alternative employment. Which makes the paranoid protectionism of the coal jobs by LNP factions ridiculous.

Aaaaaaaand...it took about 5 seconds for you to turn it into a climate change rant. Well done.

84 Baby

Referee
We'd be poorer but more equal. I reckon more people would be happier.
I hear what you are saying.
tenor.gif

84 Baby

Referee
If we lower it (no one wants to stop it) then it will put some pressure on the labour pool, which will put pressure on wage growth. It could also release some pressure on the housing market, but suppliers could counter that by simply reducing supply, so...

And GDP growth is meaningless if the per capita GDP rate is negative. Which it is for us. Hence the immigration reduction.
Read the entire trail

Latest posts