What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
Take over the afl ground at Phillip?
Phillip has had all the new pavilion done and the cricket nets etc. so that's no good.
If I was doing it at Phillip my plan would be way more grandiose than that.

What I'd do is move the play ground and skate park at Eddison park down around to the southern part of the park (behind the cemetery near the athletics field) then I'd drain the pond and build the new rectangular stadium over the top of that part of Eddison park.

Then I'd knock down Phillip Oval and rebuild it into a proper 20-30k seater stadium for the AFL and cricket that would replace Manuka as the main oval venue in Canberra. Then I'd knock down the Phillip Swimming and Ice Skating Centre, build a new little rink with maybe 2-3k seats for the Brave and ice skating, but get rid of the pool and maybe, if it can be made to fit somewhere in there, replace the pool with a little 5-10k arena for basketball.

Incentivize some of the car park companies that are already in Woden to expand their capacity where possible, maybe build a new multistory car park somewhere as well (maybe somewhere in-between the bus interchange and Hellenic club), build even more commercial space and hotels into the plans for the stadiums, and voila, you got yourself a great little sports precinct in a great spot that is easy to get to.

it has to be in the city. IMO the place to do it is turner parkland and also buy that oval off the ANU

that whole area utilized properly would be mint.
I imagine that it'd be a pain in the arse to build over Sullivans Creek, you might even have serious trouble with environmentalists as though it doesn't look it at parts anymore, Sullivans Creek is actually a natural creek I believe.

I'm also not sure how the ANU would feel about the plans, but Turner park wouldn't be a bad spot.

If I was doing it at Phillip my plan would be way more grandiose than that.

What I'd do is move the play ground and skate park at Eddison park down around to the southern part of the park (behind the cemetery near the athletics field) then I'd drain the pond and build the new rectangular stadium over the top of that part of Eddison park.

Then I'd knock down Phillip Oval and rebuild it into a proper 20-30k seater stadium for the AFL and cricket that would replace Manuka as the main oval venue in Canberra. Then I'd knock down the Phillip Swimming and Ice Skating Centre, build a new little rink with maybe 2-3k seats for the Brave and ice skating, but get rid of the pool and maybe, if it can be made to fit somewhere in there, replace the pool with a little 5-10k arena for basketball.

Incentivize some of the car park companies that are already in Woden to expand their capacity where possible, maybe build a new multistory car park somewhere as well (maybe somewhere in-between the bus interchange and Hellenic club), build even more commercial space and hotels into the plans for the stadiums, and voila, you got yourself a great little sports precinct in a great spot that is easy to get to.

I imagine that it'd be a pain in the arse to build over Sullivans Creek, you might even have serious trouble with environmentalists as though it doesn't look it at parts anymore, Sullivans Creek is actually a natural creek I believe.

I'm also not sure how the ANU would feel about the plans, but Turner park wouldn't be a bad spot.

that would be sick all that stuff at Phillip. would make Manuka obsolete tho and I like that pace and I believe it has a place in the sporting landscape.
all that other stuff would be f**king awesome tho

I reckon if in the 60's people sent folks to the moon and back in a rocket, modern engineers could build over a creek without issue (im not having a shot at you here, just saying it could be done if they had enough vision)

I sure ANU would get some scratch in the deal that lost them an oval.

Rooster8

Juniors
With the money made from the sale of a prominent player, the Sydney Roosters was able to buy Suncorp Stadium and fly it over here from Brisbane.

Ohh! Thanks, Latrell Mitchell. Because of you, we're all takin' golden showers!

123.png

beave

Coach
few things happening at QCB stadium today

I am the first to rag out on the state gov and the club over the years, but they’re nailing it with this stadium IMO. Has been a fantastic project to watch from 5 years when this was all thrown around in the media. Honouring GM and Wally Tallis is an amazing gesture IMO.

Tomorrow, JT’s statue gets revealed to the public.

Perth Red

Post Whore
few things happening at QCB stadium today

I am the first to rag out on the state gov and the club over the years, but they’re nailing it with this stadium IMO. Has been a fantastic project to watch from 5 years when this was all thrown around in the media. Honouring GM and Wally Tallis is an amazing gesture IMO.

Tomorrow, JT’s statue gets revealed to the public.

that’s a really nice touch

The Great Dane

First Grade
that would be sick all that stuff at Phillip. would make Manuka obsolete tho and I like that pace and I believe it has a place in the sporting landscape.
all that other stuff would be f**king awesome tho

Personally, I think that if it's possible that you'd be mad not to replace Manuka with a better venue that is part of a dedicated sporting precinct .

At that point you're getting into the territory of people that refuse to use modern stadia because of their emotional connection to a stadium that is falling down and will never be upgraded.

I reckon if in the 60's people sent folks to the moon and back in a rocket, modern engineers could build over a creek without issue (im not having a shot at you here, just saying it could be done if they had enough vision)

I sure ANU would get some scratch in the deal that lost them an oval.

I'm not saying that it'd be impossible to build over the creek, I'm saying that it'd probably be an expensive pain in the arse that should be avoided if at all possible.

I also reckon that you'd be a good chance of getting massive opposition to the idea of building over a natural creek. I mean whenever you try to build anything in Canberra you get a bunch of self entitled NIMBYs, the last thing you need to be doing inviting the pseudo environmentalists to protest as well.

LineBall

Juniors
87015271_3176480195736383_7443514765936164864_o.jpg

New Statue at Cowboys' Stadium

beave

Coach
statue came out great.

The many pics of that drop kick, the way the ball rolls over and ends up landing on its side when it hits the ground, it’s a f**king miracle he nailed it tbh.

So happy they picked this as the moment to immortalise.

beave

Coach
NQ members are currently being shown the insides of the new stadium..... my FB messenger is being inundated with pics from mates rubbing it in........ it honestly looks amazing. The open end gives it some character, i’m praying they get to go up to the corporate areas and get some pics

Perth Red

Post Whore
Damn that looks a climb! Great view but your not going to be running to the bar from those back seats very often lol.

Latest posts