What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 NRL Nines February 14-15

lingard

Coach
Well I don't know or care. Why aks me when you can look it up?

Don't want to look it up. Thought you might know. But the point is, I don't think they went very well; and they were stacked with reserve graders. So I don't get your point that because most of the players of the tournament happened to be reserve graders, it meant that our squad wasn't very suitable for said tournament - despite the fact that we came fourth (or third).

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't want to look it up. Thought you might know. But the point is, I don't think they went very well; and they were stacked with reserve graders. So I don't get your point that because most of the players of the tournament happened to be reserve graders, it meant that our squad wasn't very suitable for said tournament - despite the fact that we came fourth (or third).
Not all reserve graders are equal, just as not all first graders are equal.

Eelogical

Referee
Not all reserve graders are equal, just as not all first graders are equal.
Oh, great Pou on the mountain. I've climbed the 10,000 steps to hear your verses and learn from your wisdom. Do you have any further utterances that I should hold dear before my decent back to the life of the troglodytes?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh, great Pou on the mountain. I've climbed the 10,000 steps to hear your verses and learn from your wisdom. Do you have any further utterances that I should hold dear before my decent back to the life of the troglodytes?
Well if you're asking me to spell out for you what I meant by not all reserve graders being equal, consider lingard's post (to which mine was in reply) where he implies that the fact some teams full of reserve graders performing worse than other teams full of reserve graders means the fact they were full of reserve graders was irrelevant to their performances.

The implication of my (apparently confusing for some) response is that some reserve graders are particularly suited to Nines footy while many other reserve graders aren't. My pointing out that the Nines team of the tournament was mostly reserve graders also carries the implication that genuine NRL players aren't necessarily suited to Nines footy either, and that in some cases reserve graders are better at this format.

I don't feel I should have to spell this shit out for people but clearly I do. Unfortunately I work hard all day for $85/hour explaining shit to people, and I don't appreciate being expected to do it for free when I come here to talk footy. It's not a complicated subject. Don't be lazy, and do some f**king thinking for yourselves.

Well if you're asking me to spell out for you what I meant by not all reserve graders being equal, consider lingard's post (to which mine was in reply) where he implies that the fact some teams full of reserve graders performing worse than other teams full of reserve graders means the fact they were full of reserve graders was irrelevant to their performances.

The implication of my (apparently confusing for some) response is that some reserve graders are particularly suited to Nines footy while many other reserve graders aren't. My pointing out that the Nines team of the tournament was mostly reserve graders also carries the implication that genuine NRL players aren't necessarily suited to Nines footy either, and that in some cases reserve graders are better at this format.

I don't feel I should have to spell this shit out for people but clearly I do. Unfortunately I work hard all day for $85/hour explaining shit to people, and I don't appreciate being expected to do it for free when I come here to talk footy. It's not a complicated subject. Don't be lazy, and do some f**king thinking for yourselves.

I think what Pou is saying is that steamships (and jet liners) insult the dignity of distance.

Eelogical

Referee

Thanks for clearing that up, mate. I can now sleep easy tonight.

lingard

Coach

In other words, picking the ideal squad for a nines tournament is a very subjective thing. Do you pick good defenders, good attackers, endurance players, a combination of all of them (in which case, what sort of combination)? Do you stack your team with reserve graders because you don't want to risk your first graders getting injured? Or do you have a balance of first and reserve graders - and if so, what is the ideal balance. I don't think anyone has worked it out yet, as it's still a relatively new and infrequently used concept. And then, of course, do you really want to win the thing or not?
The fact that the team of the tournament had a lot of reserve graders in it, doesn't necessarily mean much. Did those players shine because their were first-graders around them? Were they reserve graders because they are suited to a nines format but not the thirteen-a-side game? And why would that team of the tournament have any bearing on why Parramatta's squad was or wasn't suited to the nines format?
Is it more a question of tactics than personnel? Is it more a question of who takes the tournament seriously as opposed to just wanting to have a hit-out and survive injury-free? More questions than answers, I'm afraid. But I only charge $60 per hour.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In other words, picking the ideal squad for a nines tournament is a very subjective thing. Do you pick good defenders, good attackers, endurance players, a combination of all of them (in which case, what sort of combination)? Do you stack your team with reserve graders because you don't want to risk your first graders getting injured? Or do you have a balance of first and reserve graders - and if so, what is the ideal balance. I don't think anyone has worked it out yet, as it's still a relatively new and infrequently used concept. And then, of course, do you really want to win the thing or not?
The fact that the team of the tournament had a lot of reserve graders in it, doesn't necessarily mean much. Did those players shine because their were first-graders around them? Were they reserve graders because they are suited to a nines format but not the thirteen-a-side game? And why would that team of the tournament have any bearing on why Parramatta's squad was or wasn't suited to the nines format?
Is it more a question of tactics than personnel? Is it more a question of who takes the tournament seriously as opposed to just wanting to have a hit-out and survive injury-free? More questions than answers, I'm afraid. But I only charge $60 per hour.
Ultimately the answer is that it's hard to know what is causal and what isn't. Half the teams only played 36 minutes the whole tournament, which isn't a significant sample. Are we going to declare the best and worst teams in the NRL this year before half time of round one? That's how much footy was played by the 'worst' teams at the Nines. The finalists only played 90 minutes - less than a game and a half in the NRL.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Ultimately the answer is that it's hard to know what is causal and what isn't. Half the teams only played 36 minutes the whole tournament, which isn't a significant sample. Are we going to declare the best and worst teams in the NRL this year before half time of round one? That's how much footy was played by the 'worst' teams at the Nines. The finalists only played 90 minutes - less than a game and a half in the NRL.
Of course we are. Parra will have their arse handed to them every week, and so will you!

Latest posts