What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

If this story, published today by the Sydney Morning Herald is true, then the Sharks have no one to blame but themselves for the Josh Morris situation -

Sharks face salary cap squeeze but refuse to release Morris
Sam Phillips
February 20, 2020 — 4.44pm

Josh Morris was told by Cronulla to "explore his options" along with Matt Prior and Josh Dugan last year as the Sharks try to sneak under the salary cap before June 30.

As it stands, the Sharks are salary cap compliant. But they are yet to complete their 30-man roster for the June 30 deadline, leaving them no choice but to sign a player in slots 27-30 on a deal worth $75,000 or a player in slots 1-26, which will require a deal worth at least $110,000.

When that player puts pen to paper on the bargain basement deal, Cronulla will tip over their cap - which has been reduced by $350,000 for breaching the cap as far back as 2013.

That has left the club with no choice but to either shed a player or find a suitable trade before signing another.

It is also the reason Morris' agent David Riolo described his client's release request being blocked as a "slap in the face".

"They have to move a player no matter what," Riolo said. "It was the Sharks that told us to have a look around at the same time they said that to Matty Prior and a couple of other boys the same thing.

"Then they turn around and deny it. It's a bit of a slap in the face."

While Morris will continue pushing for a release, when contacted on Thursday Riolo had not heard from Sharks management in the previous 48 hours.

The Sharks' reasoning behind their denial of Morris' request is two fold.

Firstly, he is on one of the best contracts in the NRL.

The veteran centre was consistently among Cronulla's best players in what was a disappointing season at the Sutherland Shire last year on a deal worth considerably less than Josh Dugan, whose future at the club remains murky due to a knee complaint. Dugan is believed to be on a deal near the $900,000 mark. That dwarfs the contract Morris is currently on.

Secondly, Dugan's knee injury and Matt Moylan's continual hamstring issues have left coach John Morris with little wiggle room in the outside backs.

With Dugan and Moylan sidelined Morris could start the season at fullback - a position he has not played since his debut season with the Dragons in 2007.

If he was to be released, Cronulla would be left scrambling to replace Dugan and Moylan.

While the Sharks hold firm on their desire to keep Morris for the season ahead, the NSW Origin representative has not waivered in his desire for a release from the Sharks in the days since returning from the NRL Nines in Perth.

The Roosters have been pushing to have Morris join the club before the start of the season but hope is beginning to fade, particularly while Moylan is sidelined.

AJB1102

First Grade
Well he never has made the best career moves.

Could've had a premiership playing off the bench behind Wade, Lewy and Gal.

I'm sure March to around late April early May is good times at Saints. August not so fun but at least they can get early bird deals on September holidays.

AJB1102

First Grade
If this story, published today by the Sydney Morning Herald is true, then the Sharks have no one to blame but themselves for the Josh Morris situation -

f**k off. He signed a 2 year deal when his only other option was England. Just 5 months ago he was entertaining the idea of extending his contract.

Then Roosters lose Latrell and his replacement and all of a sudden the RL media goes into overdrive about how poor little Joshy just longs to play with brother Brett. You honestly reckon he'd be as eager to reunite with Brett if Brett was a Titan? Haha not a f**ken chance.

Hooper putting out unsourced articles on the daily, yesterday threatening "all hell will break loose" if Morris isn't released just exposes him as a Roosters mouthpiece.

No fan can in my opinion agree with another club throwing a grenade in like this. The f**king audacity to just go "we'll take him". To plead on the brothers reunited bullshit. If they really desired finishing their careers together and the Roosters cared about that why not sign both as a package back then?

carcharias

Immortal
Could've had a premiership playing off the bench behind Wade, Lewy and Gal.

I'm sure March to around late April early May is good times at Saints. August not so fun but at least they can get early bird deals on September holidays.
Yep
Would’ve undoubtedly played some part in a grand final win.
Probably at the expense of Beale or Heino.

f**k off. He signed a 2 year deal when his only other option was England. Just 5 months ago he was entertaining the idea of extending his contract.

Then Roosters lose Latrell and his replacement and all of a sudden the RL media goes into overdrive about how poor little Joshy just longs to play with brother Brett. You honestly reckon he'd be as eager to reunite with Brett if Brett was a Titan? Haha not a f**ken chance.

Hooper putting out unsourced articles on the daily, yesterday threatening "all hell will break loose" if Morris isn't released just exposes him as a Roosters mouthpiece.

No fan can in my opinion agree with another club throwing a grenade in like this. The f**king audacity to just go "we'll take him". To plead on the brothers reunited bullshit. If they really desired finishing their careers together and the Roosters cared about that why not sign both as a package back then?

I always laugh when people accuse people like Hooper of being a Roosters mouthpiece. News Ltd hate my club with a passion ever since the Super League war, they don't do us any favours at all.

Further I didn't mention n Hooper, so I have no idea why you brought him up at all.

Additionally, I suggest you go back and read what I wrote which had a very important caveat which was, if the story in the Herald was true.

Finally no, I will not do as you suggest. You're not my type :p

AJB1102

First Grade
I always laugh when people accuse people like Hooper of being a Roosters mouthpiece. News Ltd hate my club with a passion ever since the Super League war, they don't do us any favours at all.

Further I didn't mention n Hooper, so I have no idea why you brought him up at all.

Additionally, I suggest you go back and read what I wrote which had a very important caveat which was, if the story in the Herald was true.

I mentioned Hooper because he's been running a "relese Morris" agenda article every f**king day.

Your club might have been offside with them 20 odd years ago but that relationship has very obviously patched up.

I'm not having a dig at you. I know you said "if true..". All good but your Club is scummy and self-entitled.

MugaB

Coach
I mentioned Hooper because he's been running a "relese Morris" agenda article every f**king day.

Your club might have been offside with them 20 odd years ago but that relationship has very obviously patched up.

I'm not having a dig at you. I know you said "if true..". All good but your Club is scummy and self-entitled.
Extremely true

Vic Mackey

Referee

Journos don’t really like/dislike clubs anymore. They support/go after whoever the player manager they are in bed with tells them too

myrrh ken

First Grade
I wonder if the Roosters' candle to reunite the boys will continue next year when Josh is off contract?

Or will they have a sudden change of heart.

Valheru

Coach
I wonder if the Roosters' candle to reunite the boys will continue next year when Josh is off contract?

Or will they have a sudden change of heart.

Do you think it is more important to the roosters to have them reunited or the boys themselves?

Zadar

Juniors
Release Brett. You guys care and the “boys” being together is far more important than your club/team right?

I’m sure the roosters would be willing to release Brett for a romantic finish to the Morris’ careers, and to relieve even more salary cap pressure, sharks could just let xerri leave a year earlier than expected.