What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Bunnies - Live on NRL.com - Game Day thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Sweet. Love a close losing trial, I still feel like historically our shit seasons are the ones where we look golden in the trials.

Plus it was basically a reggies trial.

I only saw the last 20 so it's worth f**k all, but stand outs were the two first grade props in Alvaro and Evans (but they should be, so it doesn't mean much), Dunster, Salmon, Kaufusi, Gower, Field and Levido.

T-Boon

Coach
We didn't have Moses, Sivo, Ferguson, Brown, Gutherson or Surridge...which is basically all our attacking player.

But at least we know we need a defensive coach.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Interesting that only Drown and Waqa havent had any game time thus far either in the 9s or tonight. We know Waqa is returning from injury. Any word on Drown. Hopefully just precautionary.
Yes its only a trial but defensively we wernt great. Thats the one area we need huge improvement. Time will tell.

T-Boon

Coach
They are red shirting Brown because he isn't very strong enough yet. Very talented but needs to work on attitude and ball skills. Passing.

T-Boon

Coach
A contributor made a good post earlier when he said our regular seasons often end up the opposite of our pre season. That has been true lately.
The last trial I went to was at Maitland in 2018 when we beat up on the Knights goodly and I walked away thinking we would lose our first 7 games (which we did).

Pablooo

Juniors
We didn't have Moses, Sivo, Ferguson, Brown, Gutherson or Surridge...which is basically all our attacking player.

But at least we know we need a defensive coach.

Mate Souths only had Tom Burgess play out of their starting 17. They had missing

Knight
Cook
Tatola
Su’a
Lowe
Murray
Nichols
Reynold
Walker
Roberts
Burns
Graham
Gagai
Johnston
Mitchell
And possibly Arrow.

That’s 16 quality NRL players.

Soto

Bench
Really hope that Davies is not seriously being considered for the top 17. Brad Keighran would be a better option.
Would think that Salmon, Taka, Jai Field and even Will Smith will be ahead of him if Arthur wants that utility type on the bench...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Davies defends at NRL level. That's why he's in the top 30. Unfortunately he lacks skill and vision so he offers little in attack other than a bit of speed.

Gronk

Staff member
'He showed up yesterday': Arthur tosses Field a lifeline
Author
Chris KennedyNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 21 Feb 2020, 10:27 PM

Former Dragons speedster Jai Field was a surprise addition to the Parramatta Eels team sheet for their Friday night trial against the Rabbitohs, handed a train-and-trial chance after hopes of joining Leeds encountered turbulence.

With originally-named trial fullback Will Smith withdrawing with an infection picked up in the NRL Nines at Perth, youngster John Fonua started at the back and had some nice touches before the 22-year-old Shellharbour junior took over for the second 40 minutes.

"He turned up yesterday," smiled coach Brad Arthur after the game.

"He was supposed to be [in Leeds], he turned up yesterday so we just threw him out there."

Field had an understandably rusty start after the limited build up, having positional issues in defence and some worries under the high ball. However his blistering pace was on show when a teammates kick was charged down; despite giving up a healthy head start Field hit the afterburners to race past his opposition and defuse the chance.

remote.axd

He also had some dangerous runs as the game wore on.

"He went all right. He's fast!" Arthur said.

"He's going to train and trial with us. We'll see how he goes, we're a bit light on for depth in the outside backs."

Of the game overall, in which most of the club's NRL forwards other than Junior Paulo and Ryan Matterson were given a run, Arthur said the Eels got what they needed from the 28-24 loss.

"Bit scrappy but we got what we needed to get out of it," he said.

"We got some running into some of those forwards early and no injuries which was good. We got some reserve grade boys out there who've been training throughout the pre-season got an opportunity.

campbell-gillardr_2nh_5969.jpg

Eels prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard.:copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos

"He didn't have to do a lot of defence because we had a bit of ball there early but he put his hand up and had some strong carries and said he felt good, his lungs felt good which was the main thing, we just wanted to give him a blow and see how he goes," Arthur added.

He expected to play a virtual NRL-strength trial team next week in Bega against Penrith.

"I reckon we'll probably play the [main squad] 60 minutes then make some changes after 60 minutes," he said.

"Try and get Junior and Reg 40 or 45, something like that, give our back-rowers, the rest of the forwards 60 minutes."

While Blake Ferguson and Brad Takairangi are invovled in the All Stars fixture this week, next week Arthur expected to have every player available barring Waqa Blake, who injured his shoulder playing for Fiji in the World Cup Nines in October.

"Waqa is tracking all right for round one," Arthur said.

"He did his shoulder in the World Nines so he won't have any games but he should be all right for round one."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/21/he-showed-up-yesterday-arthur-tosses-field-a-lifeline/

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Having Davies in the squad allows us to spend more on our top 17, yes he aren’t going to be a superstar but he offers us back up coverage at hooker on a minimum contract. And importantly if we ever have to use him he won’t be a defensive liability.

He probably wouId also go a bit better in a spine that includes gutho, Moses and Drown

Soto

Bench
'He showed up yesterday': Arthur tosses Field a lifeline
Author
Chris KennedyNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 21 Feb 2020, 10:27 PM

Former Dragons speedster Jai Field was a surprise addition to the Parramatta Eels team sheet for their Friday night trial against the Rabbitohs, handed a train-and-trial chance after hopes of joining Leeds encountered turbulence.

With originally-named trial fullback Will Smith withdrawing with an infection picked up in the NRL Nines at Perth, youngster John Fonua started at the back and had some nice touches before the 22-year-old Shellharbour junior took over for the second 40 minutes.

"He turned up yesterday," smiled coach Brad Arthur after the game.

"He was supposed to be [in Leeds], he turned up yesterday so we just threw him out there."

Field had an understandably rusty start after the limited build up, having positional issues in defence and some worries under the high ball. However his blistering pace was on show when a teammates kick was charged down; despite giving up a healthy head start Field hit the afterburners to race past his opposition and defuse the chance.

remote.axd

He also had some dangerous runs as the game wore on.

"He went all right. He's fast!" Arthur said.

"He's going to train and trial with us. We'll see how he goes, we're a bit light on for depth in the outside backs."

Of the game overall, in which most of the club's NRL forwards other than Junior Paulo and Ryan Matterson were given a run, Arthur said the Eels got what they needed from the 28-24 loss.

"Bit scrappy but we got what we needed to get out of it," he said.

"We got some running into some of those forwards early and no injuries which was good. We got some reserve grade boys out there who've been training throughout the pre-season got an opportunity.

campbell-gillardr_2nh_5969.jpg

Eels prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard.:copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos

"He didn't have to do a lot of defence because we had a bit of ball there early but he put his hand up and had some strong carries and said he felt good, his lungs felt good which was the main thing, we just wanted to give him a blow and see how he goes," Arthur added.

He expected to play a virtual NRL-strength trial team next week in Bega against Penrith.

"I reckon we'll probably play the [main squad] 60 minutes then make some changes after 60 minutes," he said.

"Try and get Junior and Reg 40 or 45, something like that, give our back-rowers, the rest of the forwards 60 minutes."

While Blake Ferguson and Brad Takairangi are invovled in the All Stars fixture this week, next week Arthur expected to have every player available barring Waqa Blake, who injured his shoulder playing for Fiji in the World Cup Nines in October.

"Waqa is tracking all right for round one," Arthur said.

"He did his shoulder in the World Nines so he won't have any games but he should be all right for round one."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/21/he-showed-up-yesterday-arthur-tosses-field-a-lifeline/
Good news on Waqa.
If he plays rnd 1 id expect the bench to be something like this..Taka, Nuikore, Evans, Alvaro. If Waqa doesn't play Taka will be at centre and Salmon, Ray Stone or Will Smith on the bench instead

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate Souths only had Tom Burgess play out of their starting 17. They had missing

Knight
Cook
Tatola
Su’a
Lowe
Murray
Nichols
Reynold
Walker
Roberts
Burns
Graham
Gagai
Johnston
Mitchell
And possibly Arrow.

That’s 16 quality NRL players.
Probably why we looked so lacklustre. It's hard to get motivated against a team full of reserve graders. But we were easily the better team while our NRL forwards were on.

Tooooks

Bench
I saw a large chunk of the first half and a little of the second. A few of my thoughts:

- Fonua looked good. A try from a strong run then really nice lead up work to Jenko’s try. Looks like a promising prospect.
- RCG didn’t play for long and didn’t have to do much defence but his carries were strong and it looked like a good hit out for him.
- Reed: crisp service and a nice grubber kick for Dunster’s try.
- Dunster. I didn’t think much from the little I saw of him last year, but I’m liking the look of him. Good pace, nice swerve, great put down for his try.
- Marata looked really strong. Some powerful runs.
- Evans had a solid hit out.
- Alvaro has dropped some weight which I think will help him this year.
- Davies offers very little but is a solid defender.
- Ray Stone. If you missed it, get onto the NRL app or website and check out the hit he put on some poor Souths bloke.
- Jenko looks really fit. Might be my imagine but appears leaner.

There’s probably more I’ve forgotten but that’s my take.

Latest posts