What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

thorson1987

Coach
When in Townsville, you should check out Magnetic Island. The bus tours are excellent and some include a pass to use the regular bus service for the day whilst you are there. Wait till they take you to feed the rock wallabies and they literally eat out of your hand.

Just don't do a Nene MacDonald

thorson1987

Coach
It is the best thing about AAMI/MCG - literally 50+ pubs/bars withing 1km. Many of them family friendly for day games, heaps of action after dark. Probably 200 - 300 within walking distance. If is also the reason for the 50% increase in crowds in SA since they moved to AOm and Perth with the new stadium. Has to be in town. Land will be more expensive but the city will make it up in no time.

When I came down for the WCC in 2018 I stayed at the Baden Powell Hotel in Collingwood. Only a 10 minute walk and I had a few drinks before I left than had some more at the bar at the stadium. .

Perth Red

Post Whore
When I came down for the WCC in 2018 I stayed at the Baden Powell Hotel in Collingwood. Only a 10 minute walk and I had a few drinks before I left than had some more at the bar at the stadium. .

Hows Newcastle’s And aucklands stadiums positioned in terms of bars and restaurants near by? Aami, bankwest, Townsville, Suncorp, hbf park are all in good locations for hitting the pubs and cafes near by pre and post game.

beave

Coach
The federal govt were on board before the Queensland govt were.

And it’s the same standard as bankwest.

on your first bit, that’s not entirely true. The feds only came on board because the state gov said they weren’t gonna pony up for the entirety of the project. The state gov initially were only gonna put in about $100 mil, then upped it $140mil. The Cowboys put $10mil into it (bank loan with the NRL covering the interest) and the feds threw in their $100mil to then get it over the line,
took it up to $250mil total. Not sure of the final costs once this thing is done and dusted, there’s been multiple reports of it blowing out $30-$50mil but the figures above are what I remember the cost breakdown was for the 3 entities.

I’m the first one to rag on the state gov (especially Labor) and yes they should have paid for the whole f**king thing like they have with every other stadium in QLD but they did pay the majority share with this one and always seemed to want to make it happen with the club. In the end it’s turned out great and something all us NQers can be proud of.

on your first bit, that’s not entirely true. The feds only came on board because the state gov said they weren’t gonna pony up for the entirety of the project. The state gov initially were only gonna put in about $100 mil, then upped it $140mil. The Cowboys put $10mil into it (bank loan with the NRL covering the interest) and the feds threw in their $100mil to then get it over the line,
took it up to $250mil total. Not sure of the final costs once this thing is done and dusted, there’s been multiple reports of it blowing out $30-$50mil but the figures above are what I remember the cost breakdown was for the 3 entities.

I’m the first one to rag on the state gov (especially Labor) and yes they should have paid for the whole f**king thing like they have with every other stadium in QLD but they did pay the majority share with this one and always seemed to want to make it happen with the club. In the end it’s turned out great and something all us NQers can be proud of.

Fair enough. Then I’d change my point to being at least the NSW govt can fund their own stadiums. Can’t give the Queensland govt too much credit when it wouldn’t have even been built if it wasn’t for the feds.

Perth Red doesn’t understand the issues, you can’t compare projects that total over $2 billion to a boutique stadium of $250m.

Last Week

Bench
Given 2 aren’t even done I don’t know how you can make that statement. You’re just talking out of your arse as usual.

The Moore park stadium is even designed by the same people who did the Townsville stadium.

Just his usual bitch about Sydney. He's got nothing. Especially since Perth effectively ruled themselves out of ever having a team with that pathetic Nines crowd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given 2 aren’t even done I don’t know how you can make that statement. You’re just talking out of your arse as usual.

The Moore park stadium is even designed by the same people who did the Townsville stadium.

half the city didn’t want them at all, the other half didn’t want a ridiculously expensive Moore park and a lipstick on a pig anz. But yeh let’s wait and see until after the money is spent lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just his usual bitch about Sydney. He's got nothing. Especially since Perth effectively ruled themselves out of ever having a team with that pathetic Nines crowd.

nobody at tne women’s indigenous game, clearly Qland doesnt deserve another club lol

horrie hastings

First Grade
I so want to go up to Townsville for the Cowboys vs Roosters game but my better half is holding firm on the Hydro Majestic for that weekend which was booked last year and it is a significant milestone birthday , sigh. I have no qualms about going to the Hydro Majestic but let's see, Meadlow Bath in winter or most possibly a nice warmer June weekend in Townsville I know which I would pick first .

Suitman

Post Whore
Apologies if these pics have already been posted. I don't think they have but anyway, enjoy again. This stadium looks fantastic, and is by far and away the best regional stadium in the country.
Canberra, get your act together and farkin build something in the city..... Townsville has put you to shame.

(click on pics for full size)

44EbV17.jpg

x5OSm2L.jpg

DAvY7zY.jpg

WbtkhYR.jpg