What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
How will they add tv viewers? Are there really people in Brisbane not currently watching nrl who will start watching it because of a second team?

The Great Dane

First Grade
How will they add tv viewers? Are there really people in Brisbane not currently watching nrl who will start watching it because of a second team?

I doubt that a second Brisbane club will add many TV viewers per se, but what they will/should do is get a bunch of viewers in Brisbane to watch another game each week, and get a bunch of people in Brisbane whom aren't members or attending games because they just aren't that into the Broncos, to get down to a game every second weekend.

In other words expanding to Brisbane isn't about adding new viewers, it's about getting more out of ones you've already got.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt that a second Brisbane club will add many TV viewers per se, but what they will/should do is get a bunch of viewers in Brisbane to watch another game each week, and get a bunch of people in Brisbane whom aren't members or attending games because they just aren't that into the Broncos, to get down to a game every second weekend.

In other words expanding to Brisbane isn't about adding new viewers, it's about getting more out of ones you've already got.

is there any evidence that games featuring theBroncos rate higher than games not featuring the broncos in the same time slot?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wow. Do the Bombers now have the upper-hand? According to Peter Badel they do. Apparently they have the ear of the new ARL Commission Peter V’landys.

"To understand the looming migraine around NRL expansion, and where to precisely place Brisbane’s second team to challenge the Broncos, consider the strategic thinking of the code’s recent decision-makers.

Former NRL CEO David Gallop was keen to expand to Brisbane’s western belt at Ipswich, the home of Broncos legends Allan Langer and Kevin Walters.

Former ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie had his eyes on Redcliffe, the peninsula powerhouse that represents Brisbane’s version of Manly on Sydney’s northern beaches.

Now, Beattie’s successor, new chair Peter V’landys, is reportedly impressed with the bid by the Brisbane Bombers, who have held regular clandestine meetings with Storm super coach Craig Bellamy.

Privately, Gallop detested the Bombers name. In a sport that thrives on gladiatorial combat, he argued it was too aggressive. Work that one out. We can only presume Gallop would have preferred a new Brisbane team to be called the Flamingoes, Fairies or Powderpuffs.

Regardless of the nickname, the key for the ARLC and NRL boss Todd Greenberg is to nail the geographic birthplace of the NRL’s 17th team _ or risk decades of disaster.

The potential pitfall facing the code is the very posse of heavy-hitters who will decide on likely expansion into Queensland for 2023 have very little understanding of ... the Queensland market itself.

The NRL is largely a Sydney-centric beast. Ten of the 16 clubs, more than 60 per cent of the NRL competition, are based in NSW.
Many of the code’s narratives are shaped around what suits the Sydney clubs. For too long, the ARLC and NRL bosses have fretted over the financial demands of impoverished Sydney clubs, all the while missing the goldmine that exists in the Brisbane metropolitan market.

Brisbane’s Gross Regional Product, the measure of goods and services sold in a specific region, is an estimated $171 billion.

That is a staggering figure that paints the Brisbane metro market as a financial juggernaut.

Factor in 2.4 million residents in the Brisbane region - as opposed to 210,000 in Ipswich and 459,585 in Redcliffe’s wider Moreton Bay catchment - and the expansion argument for V’landys and Greenberg should be a no-contest.

“The NRL and the broadcasters need a Brisbane city team, not regional outposts,” Bombers shareholder Craig Davison said.

“No disrespect to Redcliffe and Ipswich, but they are regional areas. That’s the reality when you look at population numbers and corporate strength.

“World sport shows the power of the duopoly effect of two teams in one city.

“The English Premier League has Manchester United and Manchester City. The AFL has two teams in Adelaide, Perth and Sydney.

“Imagine an intercity rivalry in Brisbane with the Broncos. It would be a money-spinner for all concerned in the game.”

Ipswich chief Steve Johnson argues the western-corridor region will better service the NRL’s grassroots.

“The fact is our region has more registered players than Brisbane and we have nearly 30 per cent of all Queensland players,” Johnson said.

“We will grow crowd numbers, add TV viewers and bring new sponsors to the game, all while being a valuable contributing member of the community.

“We are the unique bid that will make the NRL stronger in every area.”

Bombers director Nick Livermore scoffed at calls for a second Brisbane team in Redcliffe.

“The Brisbane metro market is the largest commercial hub between Sydney and Singapore. That’s a reality,” Livermore said.

“To suggest the Broncos have even saturated the greater Brisbane region is a complete fallacy.

“Redcliffe are an incredibly strong brand in the Intrust Super Cup, but an NRL Dolphins team will alienate most of Brisbane. Will Easts Tigers, Wynnum Manly and Norths Devils fans back them? I doubt it.

“If Redcliffe play the Wests Tigers on a wet Suncorp Stadium on a Thursday night, how many fans are the Dolphins going to get?

“This is the most confident I have been of the NRL expanding by 2023. Peter V’landys is by far the most capable chair that has come onto the ARL Commission and when Peter has a vision for something, based on his track record, he achieves his goals.

“If he wants another team in Brisbane, I would back Peter in to succeed.”

Let’s just hope PVL doesn’t need a Refidex to get his bearings on Brisbane.:

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/672fec3e02554900c352e0363d217de2
Say what you will about the Bombers bid, but you can't argue with their guys logic in this article.

I honestly think that if the Bombers changed their name to something that was unique (i.e. they didn't share a name with an AFL team), that they'd be one of the better supported bids.

Seriously, just give them a brand like the Brisbane Brown Snakes or something and I reckon plenty of people that are vehemently against them would suddenly be right behind them getting a license.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
is there any evidence that games featuring theBroncos rate higher than games not featuring the broncos in the same time slot?

Considering the prevalence of Friday night Broncos I'd say definitely, can't be bother to look it up to make sure though.

From memory the Broncos are one of the higher rating teams, if not the highest rating team, in the comp as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore

that’s not a very valid comparison though given they featured on fta more than any other team. You’d need to look at the time slot avg’s. to see if featuring a Brisbane team made a massive difference to the overall avg. For that particulr time a lot. it probably makes a difference to the Brisbane audience which is why Nine like it. Would a second Brisbane team have the same appeal? time will tell I suppose.

mongoose

Coach
I don't like the Bombers name though, it's bland and AFL already has it.

They will need to get the logo and colours right. I reckon they should have Inter Milan Colouring but maybe not with the vertical stripes

Diesel

Coach
There are many people in Brisbane that dislike the Broncos. The Problem is, the Bombers aren’t the answer

Diesel

Coach
Considering the prevalence of Friday night Broncos I'd say definitely, can't be bother to look it up to make sure though.

From memory the Broncos are one of the higher rating teams, if not the highest rating team, in the comp as well.
The Broncos playing Friday nights makes it very hard for family’s with young children to attend. The game finishes close to 10pm and in the middle of winter. How many primary aged kids are shattered by the time Friday comes around? Brisbane 2 will allow locals to attend on a Saturday evening or Sunday arvo.

The Great Dane

First Grade
that’s not a very valid comparison though given they featured on fta more than any other team. You’d need to look at the time slot avg’s. to see if featuring a Brisbane team made a massive difference to the overall avg. For that particulr time a lot. it probably makes a difference to the Brisbane audience which is why Nine like it. Would a second Brisbane team have the same appeal? time will tell I suppose.

Since the Broncos are the highest averaging team on both Nine and Fox, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they must be averaging more than most teams in most time slots.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Broncos playing Friday nights makes it very hard for family’s with young children to attend. The game finishes close to 10pm and in the middle of winter. How many primary aged kids are shattered by the time Friday comes around? Brisbane 2 will allow locals to attend on a Saturday evening or Sunday arvo.

Recognising that Friday night Broncos is a thing doesn't mean that I am endorsing it.

WA needs to stick with AFL, if you had a league side the players would only come from QLD, NSW or the pacific islands anyways.
Has your S.G.Ball side ever not finished last in their 10 years in the competition.
Better to have a base that is established than start from scratch and fail.

Diesel

Coach
If the Dolphins want to be the next NRL team they need to change their name to the North Brisbane Dolphins right away.
I don’t think adding “North” is the way to go, simply;
- Brisbane Dolphins,
- Moreton Bay Dolphins, or
- SQ Dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA needs to stick with AFL, if you had a league side the players would only come from QLD, NSW or the pacific islands anyways.
Has your S.G.Ball side ever not finished last in their 10 years in the competition.
Better to have a base that is established than start from scratch and fail.

I agree, at least until the nrl becomes as competent as the afl. Until then better it stays in its suburbs. One day maybe it will be well run enough to become an Australian National sport but until then we’ll make do with other sports here.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the Dolphins want to be the next NRL team they need to change their name to the North Brisbane Dolphins right away.
I don’t think adding “North” is the way to go, simply;
- Brisbane Dolphins,
- Moreton Bay Dolphins, or
- SQ Dolphins.
You know how even to this day people (even commentators and ex-players) still refer to the Wests Tigers as Balmain and the Sydney Roosters as Easts on occasion, the same thing would happen with the Dolphins if they kept the Dolphin brand.

North Brisbane, Moreton Bay, call them whatever you like, as long as they are still the Dolphins people will still see them as the Redcliffe Dolphins, and the fact that they are from Redcliffe isn't the main reason that people dislike them and will refuse to support them anyway, it's the fact that they are the Dolphins.

If they want the next NRL license then it should be a requirement that they completely re-brand, that means that at least at NRL level they can't be called Redcliffe or the Dolphins, otherwise it'll take generations for peoples attitudes towards them to change, and the NRL can't afford to wait generations for a Brisbane team to be successful.