What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team: Trial v Newcastle Knights

Dragon David

First Grade
Well our depth looks decent this year given that performance.

And Flanno looking like he’s improved our defence.

I don't know if anyone has posted this but I think Adam Clune is the next best thing to Luke Keary and he should be starting in the NRL games. If not, it will piss me off!! He reads play so well and follows the ball everywhere. Gives great rangy passes, Always thought of him highly and I am so so glad he is part of our squad for this year and hopefully years ahead.

I know this is only a trial game but I can see so much more in the team's attitude and their defence has imp[roved immensely. I think you can see a lot of confidence in the guys thanks to the likes of Flanno and Shepherd.

Great to see the tries and particularly the flying Jordan.

giboz71

First Grade
Was torn seeing Lomax play so well at FB.

Was hoping he’ll eventually play centre but looking more like he will be FB.

Williame needs a shot to displace Lafai or Aitken.

What a difference an assistant coach makes!
Great performance from pretty much everyone after a pretty lacklustre, 2019-ish first quarter.
Ravalawa and Pereira's wing play has improved so much.
I was greatly impressed by Jacob Host, Eddie Blacker, Joe Lovodua, Luke Gale and Brayden Williame.
I know it's only a trial but maybe 2020 might not be so bad after all.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Was torn seeing Lomax play so well at FB.

Was hoping he’ll eventually play centre but looking more like he will be FB.

Williame needs a shot to displace Lafai or Aitken.
Wiliame has to play left centre, he is just so much calmer and more deft than Lafai, not to mention a decent turn of speed and great size. That last catch and pass to Jordan was a thing of beauty. Simple to watch but flawless in execution, I haven't seen one of our centres be able to get rid of it that quick since Cooper left. Its amazing one would get so excited to see a centre do their job such is our drought.

Paddles

Juniors
Williame has outplayed Lafai hands down tonight...

Wiliame was definitely the most talented looking centre (but then again so were Taane Milne and Lomax in previous years, and that hasn't stopped the dynamic duo entering their fifth season as McGregor's faves). I thought Clune was also the most impressive half, and Blacker and Lomax were good too.

Lovodua didn't have a great game. He threw a lot of momentum halting passes that runners had too stand tall or halt to catch which usually meant they got hit. Brittain (?) looked good when he was playing dummy half in the third quarter, and that's when they really got a roll on.

giboz71

First Grade
Wiliame has to play left centre, he is just so much calmer and more deft than Lafai, not to mention a decent turn of speed and great size. That last catch and pass to Jordan was a thing of beauty. Simple to watch but flawless in execution, I haven't seen one of our centres be able to get rid of it that quick since Cooper left. Its amazing one would get so excited to see a centre do their job such is our drought.

Actually, I did enjoy the simplicity of our play in the 2nd half with our reserves.

Slick passing, ball on the chest, catch and pass. Simple. Having Clune, Williame and co execute was a joy to see.

For some reason, our first team backline seems to struggle with these basics despite being more talented.

Great performance from pretty much everyone after a pretty lacklustre, 2019-ish first quarter.
I was greatly impressed by Jacob Host, Eddie Blacker, Joe Lovodua, Luke Gale and Brayden Williame.
I forgot to mention Adam Clune, who was an absolute star!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Wiliame was definitely the most talented looking centre (but then again so were Taane Milne and Lomax in previous years, and that hasn't stopped the dynamic duo entering their fifth season as McGregor's faves). I thought Clune was also the most impressive half, and Blacker and Lomax were good too.

Lovodua didn't have a great game. He threw a lot of momentum halting passes that runners had too stand tall or halt to catch which usually meant they got hit. Brittain (?) looked good when he was playing dummy half in the third quarter, and that's when they really got a roll on.
Yeah you are spot on with Lovodua, BB's pass selection was a lot better too, you could see him constantly surveying the defence and passing to the right person, nice crisp passes out in front. A lot of people don't notice this stuff, but they do notice that all of a sudden the whole team is going forward against a very very good pack that were dominating only minutes before. Might not look as cool as big dart out of dummy half but it is what their job is.

kit66

Bench

Was Luke Gale playing in an 11 jersey, sandy haired ( reminded me of Wayne Collins ), put in a good effort anyway.

Lovodua looked good at hooker, keeping the opposition guessing by faking to pass left from dummy half then switching right - sounds simple but can put the opposition off and make defenders plant their feet.
Blacker made good metres and defended well.
Clune was awesome, playing against young guys but would have troubled any team with his passing game and backs up very well.

So our kids scored 6 tries to our A teams 1, how embarrassing even if the opposition were weaker.
We have some handy back ups and our top 17 need to be put on notice, perform or go play CC.
Williame needs a promotion, absolutely.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Actually, I did enjoy the simplicity of our play in the 2nd half with our reserves.

Slick passing, ball on the chest, catch and pass. Simple. Having Clune, Williame and co execute was a joy to see.

For some reason, our first team backline seems to struggle with these basics despite being more talented.
A lot better than 5 steps in different directions and then an offload over the sideline that's for sure.

mickeylane

Bench
Backline changes befure 1st round

Lafai out - Williame in
Aitken out - Fuimaono in
Ravalawa out - Saab in

Anyone else notice Hunt playing 5/8 from set pieces like scrums, taps..