What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 WCC - Feb 22 - St Helens 12-20 Roosters @ TW Stadium

Who wins the 2020 World Club Challenge?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Entertaining game I thought.

St Helens were up for it but lacked polish when they had their chances.

thats what I thought. Enjoyed the contest and thought the first 20 of the second half was top shelf footy. St Helens were camped in the Roosters half, the Roosters defence was great, Saints were a bit one dimensional however their halves were calm And I think would have broken most sides open eventually.

Not sure why they continued to attack towards their left when they had Naquima on Crichton on the other side. Kev has trouble in defence but has great acceleration and footwork, can beat his man on the outside with ease when given early ball.

Roosters had too much class in the end. It will take a real good side to beat them in 2021.

adamkungl

Immortal
St Helens played well but will rue lost opportunities by their backline.
Makinson had an off night by his standards (still not completely fit/niggling injuries?) and the left side tried hard and did well considering the circumstances but Grace and Percival were definitely missed.

Liked Fages really getting involved early and putting a good try on, my usual criticism of him is that he doesn't put his stamp on the game until momentum swings his way but he played well above that today. Maybe he can cut it at NRL and Test level.

Walmsley and Thompson are just an immense front row. Thompson played like someone with a point to prove and Walmsley just relished the battle with 2 of the best NRL+Test props. Pity England won't play NZ for another year because Walmsley v JWH is something we all need more of in our lives.

Roosters - rusty in attack and discipline but ruthless when opportunities present themselves. Will take every chance, while inferior oppositions will waste half. Defence is, as I saw someone else on twitter say, just muscle memory at this stage. Absolute efficiency.
JWH and SST were huge. Keary looked sharp for a first hitout in months.
Manu and Tupou were the difference when compared to their opposite numbers. 2 tries from barely-chances compared to bombed tries by their opposites.

In short - A great contest, extremely high quality for early in the year. NRL wins again but St Helens showed to the doubters that the best SL teams can cut it at any level.

Gotta say....the Saints have been the better side. What they (and English rugby league) don't have is competent halves. Lomax and Fages have been pisspoor.

Hardly. Lomax and Fages both did well creating opportunities but their backs had advanced cases of dickfingers.

blue bags

First Grade
saints should have . could have won playing at home , with 3 games played already in there season, roosters had played none, saints had many chances to score more, but handling , silly passes, and lapse in defense cost them, roosters defense brick wall won them the game with a little from saints lapses

A good game, great result, 20-12 to the mighty mighty Roosters!

The Angus experiment did not work. He should be a second rower.

Kyle had a solid, albeit not flashy game. Something to work with, for sure and certain. His goal kicking will only improve with a bit of help from his friends: namely Fitzy. I was quite happy with his start.

We were rusty, sure, but it was our very first hit out in 2020. A positive for mine, no doubt.

The Sydney Roosters - back to back NRL premiers and (now) Worldwide champions. Hopefully this is the start of a dynasty.

Easts forever

Latest posts