What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team: Trial v Newcastle Knights

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Isaac Luke must be the worst signing we have ever made.
I see you Luke and raise you a Rogers.
images

BLM01

First Grade
Isaac Luke must be the worst signing we have ever made. I thought Lovadua handled himself quite adequately up against Newcastle's first half team. He wasn't outstanding, but I thought he was at least a pass mark. I even thought he looked to be an ideal bench player who can cover hooker or backrow.

I would also take Billy Brittian over Luke

I like the look of Blacker and would like to see him in on the bench for our first game of the season.

Williame looked better than I expected and should definitely take Lafai's spot.

Clune was impressive. I am starting to think we should move Hunt to hooker and play Clune at halfback or 5/8. I don't know if a Clune Norman halves combination would be successful, as I see both of them as dominate halfbacks. It will probably take injuries or rep selections for Clune to get a run this year.

Lomax was very solid. He also threw a couple of good passes. His goalkicking would be up there with the best in the game. I still think he is the best option we currently have for fullback this year. He also looks to have developed physically since last year.

Rava went well on the wing. I still think he would make a better centre.

Pereira scored 4 tries.

Aitken played most of the game. Mary wasn't interested in seeing how anyone else would go there. He should have given Rava some game time there today and last year.
Rava looks like he has been on the protein powders

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Is that Ben Rogers, who the senior playing group approached Nathan Brown before our final game of 2009 and called for him to be selected ahead of Soward?
No.

That’s Ben Rogers, who the senior playing group approached Nathan Brown before our final game in 2008 and called for him to be selected ahead of Soward.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Regarding Clune. I don't think he ever had the rapts on him such as Sullivan, Sailor and Wishart currently do. From the little I saw of him in Canterbury Cup he looked to be a smart organising halfback with a good passing game. I am pretty sure that he didn't want to become a full time player, because he was studying law. He hasn't really been on the first grade radar and most good players have established themselves in first grade by the age of 24. Like many others I was impressed with what I saw of him tonight. The more I think about it the more I am thinking Hunt should be moved to hooker and possibly permanently. I would like to see Clune or Sailor given a shot in the halves besides Norman.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Isaac Luke must be the worst signing we have ever made. I thought Lovadua handled himself quite adequately up against Newcastle's first half team. He wasn't outstanding, but I thought he was at least a pass mark. I even thought he looked to be an ideal bench player who can cover hooker or backrow.

I like the look of Blacker and would like to see him in on the bench for our first game of the season.

Clune was impressive. I am starting to think we should move Hunt to hooker and play Clune at halfback or 5/8. I don't know if a Clune Norman halves combination would be successful, as I see both of them as dominate halfbacks. It will probably take injuries or rep selections for Clune to get a run this year.

Lomax was very solid. He also threw a couple of good passes. His goalkicking would be up there with the best in the game. I still think he is the best option we currently have for fullback this year. He also looks to have developed physically since last year.

Pereira scored 4 tries.

Aitken played most of the game. Mary wasn't interested in seeing how anyone else would go there. He should have given Rava some game time there today and last year.

No, Nathan Long wins the “worst buy” by the length of the straight. Special mention goes to Branson Harrison, Luke Page, Mark Ioane and going back much further in time, Jason Alchin.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I was at the trial yesterday and there was a couple of suprises. Rava and Pieara did look like they have bulked up. Lomax also looks like a first grader now.
I would like to see Williame be the left centre in the Charity shield against quality opposition, he looked very good in the second team
Josh Kerr also given more time in first grade.
Lafai looked slow and predictable.

possm

Coach
I was at the trial yesterday and there was a couple of suprises. Rava and Pieara did look like they have bulked up. Lomax also looks like a first grader now.
I would like to see Williame be the left centre in the Charity shield against quality opposition, he looked very good in the second team
Josh Kerr also given more time in first grade.
Lafai looked slow and predictable.
We still need to find a suitable first grade right centre. In past seasons this appeard to be our major weak link in defence and attack. Opposition teams consistently targeted our right edge with success even though we had Frizell and Hunt on that right edge. Whether under instructons or of his own doing, Aitken continually ran up out of the line grabbing nothing but thin air.

We still need a good first grade right centre.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Regarding Clune. I don't think he ever had the rapts on him such as Sullivan, Sailor and Wishart currently do. From the little I saw of him in Canterbury Cup he looked to be a smart organising halfback with a good passing game. I am pretty sure that he didn't want to become a full time player, because he was studying law. He hasn't really been on the first grade radar and most good players have established themselves in first grade by the age of 24. Like many others I was impressed with what I saw of him tonight. The more I think about it the more I am thinking Hunt should be moved to hooker and possibly permanently. I would like to see Clune or Sailor given a shot in the halves besides Norman.
I’ve said it before but he reminds of Matt Head. He’s not a physical specimen, or a prodigy he just seems to have time and creativity. If it were me especially after seeing Luke in the all stars game I would consider it until Cam is back. Big issue is Hunt would have trained at 7 all off season, but it does give us an origin hooker and I believe strengthens our halves. Once Cam is back I’d move Hint back into the halves to partner either Clune or Norman, whoever is in better form.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Just a few comments re some of the fringe players that need to make a significant difference for our team to jump ahead.

Z.Lomax looked comfortable in attack and is easily the first choice for us. His kick returns he certainly has to adjust as he stays to high and can get driven back to easily especially in FG

Kerr in the All stars showed exactly why he was brought to the club and patiently developed. Off the bench Kerr would be amazing this season i suspect........Josh Kerr (Dragons) — suspected MCL luckily not ACL

Luke solid in All Star game and very smart decision to bring on board to play and to nurture Lovodua etc

Ford at lock was surprising positionally..... but his workrate is seriously high in defence........frantic almost..........that chase back thru the middle where he ran down the breakaway knights player was amazing. The kid is in the 17 for sure but his upside for a player with a handful of games only in NRL is big. To me he has started the process of proving why capewell was not needed. He is unique and dangerous in attack as we know and his defence is strong and relentless.

Host - he showed he should be in the 17 also. middle or edge backrow he can do either and his leg drive on hitups was very promising........for me it is possible that he will pressure on someone like T Sims playing more middle and Host playing more edge.....I think we are in a healthy spot be be in re Friz contract as Ford, Host, T Sims, Merrin, Lawrie, Morgan give us solid output with the chance now to use the JDB $550k pro rated for another player? A year ago I would have been scared shitless about loosing Friz and JDB but Friz commanding $750k hmmmmm? Yes for two years but a 3/4 year contract means we loose Ford and or Host as they will move on........now we genuinely have players in the backrow showing plenty of upside.....and ready now. They wont wait 3years plus and to me Ford and Host will play NRL for many years to come and are very value to sign on again at probably $350k plus pa now.

Lovodua got stunned / looked knocked out to me.... at the 15min mark with that tackle on our try line where he put his body on the line and chopped Safaiti one on one? ........for me if that is Lovoduas baseline game and he is fairly new at hooker i think he has plenty of upside for an young emerging hooker. The first 20mins start was all Newcastle re field position so i thought he did well.

Jayden Morgan looked ok also. 21 yrs of age backrower but fairly explosive in defence and attack.

Rava and JP looked right at home on set plays and in defence / under the high ball. I would say should start rd1 at this stage and let Saab build.

Clune and Billy both look like they could fit into FG and play a role quite easily when required

Williame should start in the next trial. we need to see more on the left.....they moved him to the right also but he appears more potential and needed in our attack and his defence needs to ve reviewed against true FG players. Lafai might be heading OS i suspect very soon.

Dragon David

First Grade

Pereira scored 4 tries.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree with your summation Frank and your opinion of Isaac Luke. He obviously has a lot of experience but lacks a lot of get up and go and flair nowadays. Billy Brittain and Lovadua are a lot more spirited than Luke who I think needs to be fitter than he is and able to put in more minutes. Hopefully McInnes will recover reasonably quickly to have us "continue" our winning ways in 2020.

Dragon David

First Grade

Clune shows great vision in attack and as I have said in other posts, he plays similarly to Luke Keary in attack. His defensive skills may not be as good as Keary's but is quite good. I would certainly have him in the 17 and playing a lot of minutes. Now that he is full-time after finishing his studies, he will become a much improved player.

While the game against the Knights was only a trial, it was very pleasing to see us going on with the job and scoring tries and also pleasing to see the younger brigade doing their bit. We have a great bunch of kids that I'm sure the likes of Flanagan and Shepherd will want to blood more in our games.

gitano

Juniors
Right edge defence looked much better with Tariq. I think we found the root cause. To my surprise Lomax showed a bit at the back, but will see against the big dogs next week. Williame will keep Laffy honest and I'd be putting Hunt to 9 to accomodate Clune. Blacker would be on the bench.

st.phil

Bench
Just a few comments re some of the fringe players that need to make a significant difference for our team to jump ahead.

Z.Lomax looked comfortable in attack and is easily the first choice for us. His kick returns he certainly has to adjust as he stays to high and can get driven back to easily especially in FG

Kerr in the All stars showed exactly why he was brought to the club and patiently developed. Off the bench Kerr would be amazing this season i suspect........Josh Kerr (Dragons) — suspected MCL luckily not ACL

Luke solid in All Star game and very smart decision to bring on board to play and to nurture Lovodua etc

Ford at lock was surprising positionally..... but his workrate is seriously high in defence........frantic almost..........that chase back thru the middle where he ran down the breakaway knights player was amazing. The kid is in the 17 for sure but his upside for a player with a handful of games only in NRL is big. To me he has started the process of proving why capewell was not needed. He is unique and dangerous in attack as we know and his defence is strong and relentless.

Host - he showed he should be in the 17 also. middle or edge backrow he can do either and his leg drive on hitups was very promising........for me it is possible that he will pressure on someone like T Sims playing more middle and Host playing more edge.....I think we are in a healthy spot be be in re Friz contract as Ford, Host, T Sims, Merrin, Lawrie, Morgan give us solid output with the chance now to use the JDB $550k pro rated for another player? A year ago I would have been scared shitless about loosing Friz and JDB but Friz commanding $750k hmmmmm? Yes for two years but a 3/4 year contract means we loose Ford and or Host as they will move on........now we genuinely have players in the backrow showing plenty of upside.....and ready now. They wont wait 3years plus and to me Ford and Host will play NRL for many years to come and are very value to sign on again at probably $350k plus pa now.

Lovodua got stunned / looked knocked out to me.... at the 15min mark with that tackle on our try line where he put his body on the line and chopped Safaiti one on one? ........for me if that is Lovoduas baseline game and he is fairly new at hooker i think he has plenty of upside for an young emerging hooker. The first 20mins start was all Newcastle re field position so i thought he did well.

Jayden Morgan looked ok also. 21 yrs of age backrower but fairly explosive in defence and attack.

Rava and JP looked right at home on set plays and in defence / under the high ball. I would say should start rd1 at this stage and let Saab build.

Clune and Billy both look like they could fit into FG and play a role quite easily when required

Williame should start in the next trial. we need to see more on the left.....they moved him to the right also but he appears more potential and needed in our attack and his defence needs to ve reviewed against true FG players. Lafai might be heading OS i suspect very soon.

Great summary. I would add that Aitken bent the line and carried defenders, made good yards. Predictable yes but very very strong

Latest posts