What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial V Tigers

rem286

Juniors
Unfortunately I read this thread before watching the replay so my expectations were very high after the hype I had read. Fake news.

It was a trial and the quality of football reflected that. No way I would be throwing Laurie to full back after watching. Obviously looks to have potential but not at NRL level yet. Burton showed glimpses of brilliance but also had his fair share of shockers, again will be a future player but I don't think he is the answer yet.

Hetherington, Naden, Too, Yeo all looked good. In general the team looked fitter and more screwed down than this time last year so that is a positive.

franklin2323

Immortal
Reynolds Chee Kam Eisenhuth will be nowhere near our starting 17. Your mob looks pretty strong across the park though, was impressed with that Naden kid

we had 3 that started who can’t play round 1. It seemed to me like it was a pre arranged hit out for less known players.

Looked like it but final trials are usually almost full strength so that be the test for where needs work

Panfa

Juniors
Anyone know why aekins didn't play last night is he injured or did they rest him for the parra trial. Laurie did ok but wouldn't throw him straight into fullback just yet some nice catches at the back and decent defence from him.chrichton surprised me at the back he did well for a centre winger was good under the high ball brang the ball back strong and scored a good try.Naden absolutely brained it last night was on fire I wanted him at fullback but I think after last night he's found a new home at centre.

Panfa

Juniors
I noticed the Fijian backrower who can run 36kph wasn't playing in our trial either last night.I watched a bit of jersey flegg I couldn't believe the size of some of those boys for under 20s they were giants.

betcats

Referee
No 22, Lyndsy something, first time I’ve noticed him but he looks like he has some potential.

We played a strong side but outside of Yeo and Leota the rest of the forwards were guys who probably don’t make the full strength side Burns. Ellis, heathro, Cartwright etc

betcats

Referee
I noticed the Fijian backrower who can run 36kph wasn't playing in our trial either last night.I watched a bit of jersey flegg I couldn't believe the size of some of those boys for under 20s they were giants.

I think he picked up a training knock.

Kev07

Juniors
Anyone know why aekins didn't play last night is he injured or did they rest him for the parra trial. Laurie did ok but wouldn't throw him straight into fullback just yet some nice catches at the back and decent defence from him.chrichton surprised me at the back he did well for a centre winger was good under the high ball brang the ball back strong and scored a good try.Naden absolutely brained it last night was on fire I wanted him at fullback but I think after last night he's found a new home at centre.
His Mrs gave birth

mxlegend99

Referee
Looking at that Tigers side. Douehi, Reynolds, Chee Kam. Eisenhuth, Leilua, Talau will play round one. So was no weaker than ours we just have better depth
Mansour. Naden. To'o. Whare. Crichton all fighting to be our round 1 backline. 2 of Burton and Luai fighting to be starting Round 1. Potentially all 8 could make it with fullback up for grabs and the utility spot. May would be in the mix if eligible too.

We basically had our NRL backline aside from Nathan playing. Tigers backline was weak in comparison.

They had no Benji, Brooks, Leilua, Thompson, Nofoauluma, Mbye or Momorovski who are easily their best backs and going to form the majority of their backline.

It was basically NRL backline vs reserve grade. So it stands to reason we looked a class above outwide.

I read more into how well we did defensively. Granted it wasn't exactly Tigers NRL side throwing stuff at us. But we can only defend what is thrown at us and Tigers couldnt score a legitimate try. Which atleast suggests our defensive structures have improved as over 80 minutes the players rotated in and out of the game but defence held strong.

There were encouraging signs for us in attack. But i would always expect even a poor NRL backline to look better than a reserve grade one. No injuries is great along with guys putting pressure on players for an NRL spot.

franklin2323

Immortal
Mansour. Naden. To'o. Whare. Crichton all fighting to be our round 1 backline. 2 of Burton and Luai fighting to be starting Round 1. Potentially all 8 could make it with fullback up for grabs and the utility spot. May would be in the mix if eligible too.

We basically had our NRL backline aside from Nathan playing. Tigers backline was weak in comparison.

They had no Benji, Brooks, Leilua, Thompson, Nofoauluma, Mbye or Momorovski who are easily their best backs and going to form the majority of their backline.

It was basically NRL backline vs reserve grade. So it stands to reason we looked a class above outwide.

I read more into how well we did defensively. Granted it wasn't exactly Tigers NRL side throwing stuff at us. But we can only defend what is thrown at us and Tigers couldnt score a legitimate try. Which atleast suggests our defensive structures have improved as over 80 minutes the players rotated in and out of the game but defence held strong.

There were encouraging signs for us in attack. But i would always expect even a poor NRL backline to look better than a reserve grade one. No injuries is great along with guys putting pressure on players for an NRL spot.

They had 12 full timers play.

The difference was we have more players needing to prove something.

Lets look at that starting backline you mentioned. To’o/Naden are rookies need game time to improve. Mansour/Whare are past it again need to look at what they still offer. Trying to find a fullback and 5/8th. Yeo needed match fitness. Hetherington too needs to show what he has.

So very few certainties for round 1 played in either team

The unknown

Juniors
we had 3 that started who can’t play round 1. It seemed to me like it was a pre arranged hit out for less known players.

Looked like it but final trials are usually almost full strength so that be the test for where needs work

trial 1 is always about giving the fringe/reserve graders players a run and or new additions to the club (in our case Doueihi and Leilua)

Next trial teams will start to play close to their full strength for 20-40 mins to blow out the rust. Anyways trials mean fk all. Iirc we lost all our trials last year and started the season 3 zip