What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial V Tigers

franklin2323

Immortal
trial 1 is always about giving the fringe/reserve graders players a run and or new additions to the club (in our case Doueihi and Leilua)

Next trial teams will start to play close to their full strength for 20-40 mins to blow out the rust. Anyways trials mean fk all. Iirc we lost all our trials last year and started the season 3 zip

I like trial 1 for looking at how the young players have improved. Trial 2 is more a guide but still meaningless

mxlegend99

Referee
They had 12 full timers play.

The difference was we have more players needing to prove something.

Lets look at that starting backline you mentioned. To’o/Naden are rookies need game time to improve. Mansour/Whare are past it again need to look at what they still offer. Trying to find a fullback and 5/8th. Yeo needed match fitness. Hetherington too needs to show what he has.

So very few certainties for round 1 played in either team
It was our NRL backline up against Tigers reserve grade backline... with AD thrown in. It's as simple as that.

That's exactly how an NRL backline should perform against reserve graders. I know Hook proved we can't take it as a given. But realistically that is the sort of performance an NRL backline should put on reserve graders.

This was the equivalent of beating Roosters in the 9s basically. It's awesome to do. But the difference in quality of the rosters is so big that you really cant read much into it. We're doing what is expected atleast. So we haven't failed by any stretch of the imagination. But we haven't proven anything yet either. Other than if we face reserve grade rosters we can towel them up.

martielang

Bench
I know I’m in the minority but I’d still do away with First grade trials altogether. In a 25 Rnd competition you’re going to end up where you’re going to end up regardless of a couple of trials. I’d be using the first month to experiment If need be but I reckon most coaches know their Rnd 1 squad prior to any trials. Eg. I’d be very surprised if Luai isn’t in the 6 despite how Burton plays.

OldPanther

Coach
It was our NRL backline up against Tigers reserve grade backline... with AD thrown in. It's as simple as that.

That's exactly how an NRL backline should perform against reserve graders. I know Hook proved we can't take it as a given. But realistically that is the sort of performance an NRL backline should put on reserve graders.

This was the equivalent of beating Roosters in the 9s basically. It's awesome to do. But the difference in quality of the rosters is so big that you really cant read much into it. We're doing what is expected atleast. So we haven't failed by any stretch of the imagination. But we haven't proven anything yet either. Other than if we face reserve grade rosters we can towel them up.

Yeah I couldn't help taking the low hanging fruit with that joke but you're right. The only thing I'm taking out of that is Naden's fitness and Burton being more hands on than Luai(don't know if that was instructed or not though)

franklin2323

Immortal
I noticed the Fijian backrower who can run 36kph wasn't playing in our trial either last night.I watched a bit of jersey flegg I couldn't believe the size of some of those boys for under 20s they were giants.

Our number 8 was huge. He didn’t play cause minor knock to the knee will play this week

franklin2323

Immortal

Did you watch the game?

It was 4 all with our ‘top side’ out there

This was the backline when we put the points on

Crichton
Naden
Burns
Jed
Tago
May
Burton

Hardly a FG backline. So it was good to see what they could do and good a few guys like Yeo got a run. Also good that guys out of the top side played well to put pressure on

The unknown

Juniors
I thought Musgrove and Walters went well from your side. Do you see either in your 17 come round one?

I was surprised with Musgrove, 2 years out of the game and it looked like he still belonged out there. I’d bet the house he’ll be in the 17 rd 1.

Walters looks the good aswell, impressed in the 9s and had a solid hit out yesterday. If we don’t get Grant from the storm I think he’ll be there aswell

MugaB

Coach
Naden was star of the show, Chrichton was extremely dangerous every ball carry, and Tyrone May was consistently asking questions at 5/8th,
I was impressed with smoothy at hooker, and lauire at fullback,
All in all after halftime, panthers just owned the tigers on pure skill and match fitness, tigers younings didn't look like they could cope.
Burton seem to punt the ball needlessly, but if it makes the opposition tired, im ok with it.
Next week we'll see a better trial

franklin2323

Immortal
I was surprised with Musgrove, 2 years out of the game and it looked like he still belonged out there. I’d bet the house he’ll be in the 17 rd 1.

Walters looks the good aswell, impressed in the 9s and had a solid hit out yesterday. If we don’t get Grant from the storm I think he’ll be there aswell

You would think Walters is the 9 with Reynolds bench barring the trade going through

Meh its the Warriors. Burton was far more impressive in a single game imo. Luai got some very bad career advice hanging around here, the power of Gus I guess. He's our 4th best half at this point

It smacks of panthers recency bias tbh. There’s nothing more panthers fans love than the next hype train. Fact is Luai hasn’t had any real time at 5/8 in FG, he’s been shuffled around playing off the bench. Maybe for him personally it would’ve been better to go somewhere else, but I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near his best yet.

As for being the fourth best, you’re rating May above Luai? May isn’t the right option next to Cleary. That’s a very conservative halves pairing, we need more X factor.

I know I’m in the minority but I’d still do away with First grade trials altogether. In a 25 Rnd competition you’re going to end up where you’re going to end up regardless of a couple of trials. I’d be using the first month to experiment If need be but I reckon most coaches know their Rnd 1 squad prior to any trials. Eg. I’d be very surprised if Luai isn’t in the 6 despite how Burton plays.

I crunched the numbers on this a few years ago and early form counts for a lot more than you think. From memory it was about 5.5 of the teams in the top 8 after 10 rounds that also made the finals.

Fangs

Coach
Burton/May both looked good but I don't see them being a better halves partner for Cleary. Outside of Korisau we have Luai as our creative playmaker. I feel he is our only hope if we want to score points this year.

The most likely scenario is he gets dropped about 5 rounds in after we struggle against quality opposition. So Burton/May fans won't have long to see him in top grade.

franklin2323

Immortal
Burton/May both looked good but I don't see them being a better halves partner for Cleary. Outside of Korisau we have Luai as our creative playmaker. I feel he is our only hope if we want to score points this year.

The most likely scenario is he gets dropped about 5 rounds in after we struggle against quality opposition. So Burton/May fans won't have long to see him in top grade.

Burton created 2 tries from nothing so not like all he did was kick

Dragons have a stack of injuries Broncos are ordinary. 3/5 is a realistic aim

Fangs

Coach
Burton created 2 tries from nothing so not like all he did was kick

Dragons have a stack of injuries Broncos are ordinary. 3/5 is a realistic aim

Not saying he won't create points. Just remember Nathan Cleary is now in charge and he wasn't seen last night. Heavy traffic going his way. His 6 needs to be a different kind of player, I don't think Burton or May will be a great partner for him.

3/5 would be a great start. But we will beat those teams with defence not attack. I think all those teams are most dangerous in the red zone.

franklin2323

Immortal
It smacks of panthers recency bias tbh. There’s nothing more panthers fans love than the next hype train. Fact is Luai hasn’t had any real time at 5/8 in FG, he’s been shuffled around playing off the bench. Maybe for him personally it would’ve been better to go somewhere else, but I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near his best yet.

As for being the fourth best, you’re rating May above Luai? May isn’t the right option next to Cleary. That’s a very conservative halves pairing, we need more X factor.

9 Now still has NSW Cup from last year. Luai was very ordinary in those. I use that and general eyes from NYC days.

Maybe so but they won a finals game together. That can’t be said for others

Latest posts