What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team: Trial v Newcastle Knights

Right edge defence looked much better with Tariq. I think we found the root cause. To my surprise Lomax showed a bit at the back, but will see against the big dogs next week. Williame will keep Laffy honest and I'd be putting Hunt to 9 to accomodate Clune. Blacker would be on the bench.

I have been talking Blacker up the past 18 months. Has size, skill, offload, lateral movement.

With Kerr injured last night it's a great chance for Eddie to be in that 17 jumper.

Unfortunately for us, Mary will send an SOS to the Illawarra League and Lat's will come out of retirement.

ALSGI

Bench
I honestly didn’t see anything to get excited about just yet. First quarter was most telling. Gee they let the Knights offload a lot of ball.

Yes, some promising players there but McCoach will stick with Lafai and Aitken and revert to Dragon Footy.

giboz71

First Grade
I honestly didn’t see anything to get excited about just yet. First quarter was most telling. Gee they let the Knights offload a lot of ball.

Yes, some promising players there but McCoach will stick with Lafai and Aitken and revert to Dragon Footy.

You didn’t think we looked good defensively?

Newcastle’s 1st team were camped on our line for multiple sets in the 1st quarter and we only let in 1 try.

In fact our defence looked good the whole game.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting from yesterday:

First half - played our 1st grade squad, predictable, hit ups then kick. Didn't see much enterprise apart from Lomax's pass to Rava to score. Defensively ok

Second half - played mostly our fringe players, good variation, attacking running football, support play, offloads.

First half we score 6 points and gave up 6.
Second half wd score 32 points and gave up 6.

Yes the second half, both teams had their fringe players in, but remember fod the first half Knights were missing Ponga and a few others. Our 3 biggest outs were Graham, Merrin and Kerr. Me thinks Ponga would have had a field day against us yesterday.

So, on to CS where we will get a much clearer picture of how we are shaping in 2020.

redVinme

Juniors
Kerr was great this weekend reminds me of Vaughn a few years a go. A real tearaway with an eye for popping up and scoring tries through effort.
Really think we need to lock him up as he will have a break out year if we let him once he is healthy.

Blacker too. Some of his hit ups reminded me of g burgess when he first got here. Just a big lump of a lad going 100 miles an hour.

ALSGI

Bench
You didn’t think we looked good defensively?

Newcastle’s Ist team were camped on our line for multiple sets in the 1st quarter and we only let in 1 try.

Im fact our defence looked good the whole game.
Like I said, I saw nothing to get excited about yet. Yes, only let one in during that first period but allowed lots of offloads, didn’t shut it down, type of play Ponga would’ve loved.

kit66

Bench
Interesting from yesterday:

First half - played our 1st grade squad, predictable, hit ups then kick. Didn't see much enterprise apart from Lomax's pass to Rava to score. Defensively ok

Second half - played mostly our fringe players, good variation, attacking running football, support play, offloads.

First half we score 6 points and gave up 6.
Second half wd score 32 points and gave up 6.

Yes the second half, both teams had their fringe players in, but remember fod the first half Knights were missing Ponga and a few others. Our 3 biggest outs were Graham, Merrin and Kerr. Me thinks Ponga would have had a field day against us yesterday.

So, on to CS where we will get a much clearer picture of how we are shaping in 2020.

True our first half performance was great in defence but on par with 2019 in attack. Maybe the boys were under orders just to concentrate on getting their defensive structures working.
I don't think Hunt and Norman have clicked since day one and yesterday was no different, they don't work together. Lomax chiming in was good to see and a promise of things to come I hope. I wouldn't have thought this yesterday morning but Clune could be an option in the halves, played a great organizing and attacking role and just took control - control of a stitched together rag bag trials team, not bad.

I really like Periera and 4 tries is a good effort but he didn't have to do that much and the right side, 2nd half Newc defence were clueless. I would still prefer to see Rava and Saab start on the wings. Maybe Periera to centre, who knows but we can't keep everyone in the team.
Williame ( 1 try, 1 line break, 2 try assists, 2 line break assists ) looked real good out there and should slot straight into the centres, in for Lafai would be good but he looked good playing on the right and Aitken has to go, he just needs to go.

Kerr was starting prop last night and killed it, put on a fantastic try, he's so dangerous close to the line and he put on some great hits, I saw him hit Bromwich and Bromwich get up and looks around like " what just hit me ? ". If he keeps that up he needs to replace Graham to start with Vaughan - our go forward in the 1st half against Newc was woeful, only 850 metres for the entire game and you'd think most of that came in the 2nd half. Kerr and Vaughan with K.Sims, Graham and or Blacker off the bench should improve those stats and leave Friz and T.sims out wide where they belong.

giboz71

First Grade
Like I said, I saw nothing to get excited about yet. Yes, only let one in during that first period but allowed lots of offloads, didn’t shut it down, type of play Ponga would’ve loved.

I saw in yesterday’s trial and even at the 9’s we look a bit more organised defensively. Flanno’s value already being seen.

That alone is a positive.

Dragon David

First Grade
Kerr was great this weekend reminds me of Vaughn a few years a go. A real tearaway with an eye for popping up and scoring tries through effort.
Really think we need to lock him up as he will have a break out year if we let him once he is healthy.

Blacker too. Some of his hit ups reminded me of g burgess when he first got here. Just a big lump of a lad going 100 miles an hour.
Whole heartedly agree with both Kerr and Blacker.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Lomax looks good at retrieving his own kicks like the great Changa. Williame looked impressive at centre. Kerr's MCL injury could mean that he may be out for around 6 weeks.

rasaint

Juniors
OK we won well in the end. Both teams missing some good players.

I can not get carried away with the 2nd half. When the teams rolled out their 2nd stringers ours were much better and Newcastle’s defence was ordinary. Williame showed in running and passing that he has talent. Is pretty quick and throws a goos sharp pass. Tim Lafai looks to be suffering the accumulation of injuries to legs and ankles over the years. He was good at his best. Did well in 2018.

I have wondered whether Euan AIken is a lock over the years? Is strong and quick and defending in the centre of field would suit him. Just a thought.

Latest posts