What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

mongoose

Coach
You know how even to this day people (even commentators and ex-players) still refer to the Wests Tigers as Balmain and the Sydney Roosters as Easts on occasion, the same thing would happen with the Dolphins if they kept the Dolphin brand.

North Brisbane, Moreton Bay, call them whatever you like, as long as they are still the Dolphins people will still see them as the Redcliffe Dolphins, and the fact that they are from Redcliffe isn't the main reason that people dislike them and will refuse to support them anyway, it's the fact that they are the Dolphins.

If they want the next NRL license then it should be a requirement that they completely re-brand, that means that at least at NRL level they can't be called Redcliffe or the Dolphins, otherwise it'll take generations for peoples attitudes towards them to change, and the NRL can't afford to wait generations for a Brisbane team to be successful.

I get what you're saying but most younger people - kids will forget who the Dolphins were very quickly. I agree older rusted on fans will still view them as Redcliffe Dolphins but anyone under a certain age will have no pre-conceived idea about the Dolphins and certainly anyone new to the sport won't have a clue about them/

MugaB

Coach
Im ok Brisbane Dolphins, or even STH QLD dolphins, its not exactly suburbs specific, Brisbane Bombers tho is a garbage name, its as good as the ISIS Wanderers, thats parramattas nickname for the WSW in A-league.
I hope they've got a plan to really cash in regarding this 2nd Brisbane team, coz bombers is a terrible mascot

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I doubt that a second Brisbane club will add many TV viewers per se, but what they will/should do is get a bunch of viewers in Brisbane to watch another game each week, and get a bunch of people in Brisbane whom aren't members or attending games because they just aren't that into the Broncos, to get down to a game every second weekend.

In other words expanding to Brisbane isn't about adding new viewers, it's about getting more out of ones you've already got.

there's also a lot of Brisbane residents who have a passing interest that can be tapped into and drag them from their casual support of other teams

adamkungl

Immortal
It needs either BRISBANE or SOUTH QUEENSLAND in the name. They have broad recognition and value. In a national comp with aspirations of international appeal, this matters. Ipswich/Redcliffe - aside from being divisive within the intended support base, you may as well add another Sydney suburb for all the wide appeal they have.

the BOMBERS name and brand is total balls.
Brisbane already has a corporate franchise team that came in over the top of the established clubs. A 2nd club should be the opposite, more linked to the grassroots. A Souths to their Roosters, if you will (buying into the romanticised Souths v evil Easts here for a moment).
I don't know enough about the Brisbane or Queensland RL scenes to know *how* you could do this in an appealing way, but I think this should be the aim.

A Spider or Snake logo would be very good imo.
Brisbane Browns -> brown snake -> but broncos are already almost brown so that's no good.
I'm thinking a red and black shirt with a red-belly or redback mascot. But can't come up with a name that rolls off the tongue

The Great Dane

First Grade
I get what you're saying but most younger people - kids will forget who the Dolphins were very quickly. I agree older rusted on fans will still view them as Redcliffe Dolphins but anyone under a certain age will have no pre-conceived idea about the Dolphins and certainly anyone new to the sport won't have a clue about them/

You say that, but I think the young people might surprise you.

People in Canberra who have made this mistake multiple times said very similar things to what you are saying, but then the younger kids turned out to be some of the ones who were most vehemently against them.In my opinion that was because people forget that many of those kids were playing the Vikings, or in this case Dolphins, every season in their juniors comps, and it turned out that they weren't big fans of many of the teams that they had to play against, especially the bigger more successful clubs.

But for the sake of argument let's say that we agree that young people won't care about the Dolphins brand at all, well they also won't care about a new brand either so whether the brand is new or old doesn't really effect them at all.
On the other hand it will effect older people, and considering that, why wouldn't you go with something that the older guys can all get behind as well, because if you get them all offside you are just turning potential customers away.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Yeah, but why are they woeful?

Because it seems to me that people hate the Bombers brand and not the actual bid it's self, in other words the hatred for them is literally purely cosmetic, and cosmetics can easily be changed.

I’m certainly not against their bid, just the dumb name

Perth Red

Post Whore
You say that, but I think the young people might surprise you.

People in Canberra who have made this mistake multiple times said very similar things to what you are saying, but then the younger kids turned out to be some of the ones who were most vehemently against them.In my opinion that was because people forget that many of those kids were playing the Vikings, or in this case Dolphins, every season in their juniors comps, and it turned out that they weren't big fans of many of the teams that they had to play against, especially the bigger more successful clubs.

But for the sake of argument let's say that we agree that young people won't care about the Dolphins brand at all, well they also won't care about a new brand either so whether the brand is new or old doesn't really effect them at all.
On the other hand it will effect older people, and considering that, why wouldn't you go with something that the older guys can all get behind as well, because if you get them all offside you are just turning potential customers away.

when they launched a second perth afl club They didn’t go with north, south or east Fremantle wafl clubs, they chose an independent club, the dockers to represent the whole region and avoid the local rivalries. Lessons to be learnt!

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Brisbane Bombers could work, especially if linked to the jets. Not a great fan of
Using one of the most famous afl club names or having yet another blue jersey in the nrl.

MugaB

Coach
South Brisbane Bombers could work, especially if linked to the jets. Not a great fan of
Using one of the most famous afl club names or having yet another blue jersey in the nrl.
Yeah was hoping for a predominantly orange/gold or green jersey if it was a western suburbs of brisbane team, but as far as the bombers bid and localitity, if they changed the mascot/colors i'd be happy with their bid, from all the recent reports about the bid they seem to have prepared themselves to be another "broncos" club playing out of suncorp stadium reflecting the whole city and not just a corner of the city ala western corridor or redcliffe, but in saying that, i prefer the other two mascots, if it were dolphins or jets.
Bombers just has a negative look about it, might as well update the logo to a drone as we are in the 21st century

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I
Brisbane Browns -> brown snake -> but broncos are already almost brown so that's no good.
I'm thinking a red and black shirt with a red-belly or redback mascot. But can't come up with a name that rolls off the tongue
Brisbane Blacks? Or Brisbane/Sth QLD Reds? (Union might have an issue)

Weren't Wests Brisbane black and red ?
They still are but they are the Panthers up in Brisbane.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

I think I put up an example logo for this in the Expansion Team Names thread. I'd be down for a brown and gold or brown & something colour scheme as we haven't really got a brown anymore since the panthers went to black.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think I put up an example logo for this in the Expansion Team Names thread. I'd be down for a brown and gold or brown & something colour scheme as we haven't really got a brown anymore since the panthers went to black.

For good reason, who wants to play in or wear poo brown?

32AE8C94-5FD8-41C9-83A2-2A218698AAEF.jpeg

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
That and with the kind of screen printing technology these days I’m sure the jersey could be made to look like scales/snake skin anyway.