What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team: Trial v Newcastle Knights

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
True our first half performance was great in defence but on par with 2019 in attack. Maybe the boys were under orders just to concentrate on getting their defensive structures working.
I don't think Hunt and Norman have clicked since day one and yesterday was no different, they don't work together. Lomax chiming in was good to see and a promise of things to come I hope. I wouldn't have thought this yesterday morning but Clune could be an option in the halves, played a great organizing and attacking role and just took control - control of a stitched together rag bag trials team, not bad.

I really like Periera and 4 tries is a good effort but he didn't have to do that much and the right side, 2nd half Newc defence were clueless. I would still prefer to see Rava and Saab start on the wings. Maybe Periera to centre, who knows but we can't keep everyone in the team.
Williame ( 1 try, 1 line break, 2 try assists, 2 line break assists ) looked real good out there and should slot straight into the centres, in for Lafai would be good but he looked good playing on the right and Aitken has to go, he just needs to go.

Kerr was starting prop last night and killed it, put on a fantastic try, he's so dangerous close to the line and he put on some great hits, I saw him hit Bromwich and Bromwich get up and looks around like " what just hit me ? ". If he keeps that up he needs to replace Graham to start with Vaughan - our go forward in the 1st half against Newc was woeful, only 850 metres for the entire game and you'd think most of that came in the 2nd half. Kerr and Vaughan with K.Sims, Graham and or Blacker off the bench should improve those stats and leave Friz and T.sims out wide where they belong.

Great analysis Kit- Over the years, I've also been singing the praises of some of the players you've singled out for mention.

Adam Clune is just a classic half back- bullet pass, great vision, speed- there was a rumour going around that he was either a law student or doing some kind of professional development tin the law and was only available to play CC football in previous years. Don't know where that came from but he's got to be pushing for a top 30 position.

Agree about Kerr- Artie Beetson like offload for the Indigenous try and so unlucky with the Medial Ligament tear. On that form, if fit, could be a smoky for an Origin spot- off the bench.

I've also been advocating for Pereira to be given a run in the centres- he's played there in the past but at SGI he's been exclusively used on the wing. He's got good hands, built close to the ground, quick and is hard to stop. But, after that horrible landing in scoring a try which impacted his cervical spine, i wondered if he would ever be confident enough to return to footy- so credit to him. But there must be some doubts in his mind about performing the exaggerated dives that all wingers seem to be able to do these days to defy the touchline- and that's another reason I"d like to trial him in the centres.

Lafai looks old, slow and ineffectual- Aitken- well it's all been said hasn't it? However, I'd give Sailor and Pereira my starting centre positions- you could be right about Wiliame- just haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

Souths backs, in particular, will help to sort out some of these selection issues in the Charity Shield.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Great analysis Kit- Over the years, I've also been singing the praises of some of the players you've singled out for mention.

Adam Clune is just a classic half back- bullet pass, great vision, speed- there was a rumour going around that he was either a law student or doing some kind of professional development tin the law and was only available to play CC football in previous years. Don't know where that came from but he's got to be pushing for a top 30 position.

Agree about Kerr- Artie Beetson like offload for the Indigenous try and so unlucky with the Medial Ligament tear. On that form, if fit, could be a smoky for an Origin spot- off the bench.

I've also been advocating for Pereira to be given a run in the centres- he's played there in the past but at SGI he's been exclusively used on the wing. He's got good hands, built close to the ground, quick and is hard to stop. But, after that horrible landing in scoring a try which impacted his cervical spine, i wondered if he would ever be confident enough to return to footy- so credit to him. But there must be some doubts in his mind about performing the exaggerated dives that all wingers seem to be able to do these days to defy the touchline- and that's another reason I"d like to trial him in the centres.

Lafai looks old, slow and ineffectual- Aitken- well it's all been said hasn't it? However, I'd give Sailor and Pereira my starting centre positions- you could be right about Wiliame- just haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

Souths backs, in particular, will help to sort out some of these selection issues in the Charity Shield.

Kerr needs to worry about being a regular top 17 player first; this is a make or break year for him. SOO representation is a million miles away.

Undoubtedly Peirera is the club’s best winger, but his biggest frail is under kicks where opposing flankers regular out jump him in contests. Whether or not he plays first grade is still doubtful.

And l I cannot believe some are waxing lyrical over Williame, who did zip in his previous NRL career followed by the same nothingness in the ESL.

Wittenberg

Juniors

Agree Sailor appears to have more attacking skills and more of a footballing brain than either of our current centres but Sailor’s defence is suspect and his one on one defence in the Nines did not fill me with much confidence. Nevertheless he may provide us with something new, we know exactly what we are going to get with Aitken and Lafai.

Wittenberg

Juniors
How did Saab play in the trial? I hear he was quiet and didn’t set the world on fire. Is that a fair summary or did he play better than I have been told?

Frank Facer

First Grade
OK we won well in the end. Both teams missing some good players.

I can not get carried away with the 2nd half. When the teams rolled out their 2nd stringers ours were much better and Newcastle’s defence was ordinary. Williame showed in running and passing that he has talent. Is pretty quick and throws a goos sharp pass. Tim Lafai looks to be suffering the accumulation of injuries to legs and ankles over the years. He was good at his best. Did well in 2018.

I have wondered whether Euan AIken is a lock over the years? Is strong and quick and defending in the centre of field would suit him. Just a thought.
To my knowledge Aitken played lock most of his juniors.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Kerr needs to worry about being a regular top 17 player first; this is a make or break year for him. SOO representation is a million miles away.

Undoubtedly Peirera is the club’s best winger, but his biggest frail is under kicks where opposing flankers regular out jump him in contests. Whether or not he plays first grade is still doubtful.

And l I cannot believe some are waxing lyrical over Williame, who did zip in his previous NRL career followed by the same nothingness in the ESL.
So your In Mary's corner,,, aintken and slowfai. ......

thebigredv

First Grade
Do you guys know where I can get a Maitland Trial Premiers t-shirt?
i'm going to savour this one because it's going to be a lean year.

since77

Juniors
How did Saab play in the trial? I hear he was quiet and didn’t set the world on fire. Is that a fair summary or did he play better than I have been told?

He didn’t get a lot of game time and no real opportunity to do much more than a few scoots from dummy half. A lot of the attack in 2nd half went to the left which Pereira got to enjoy.

BLM01

First Grade
My honest take after watching the whole trial last night
Positive defence is better but The knights squandered a few opportunities in the first half
We were lucky to be 6 all

negative attack similar in 1st grade but will see what CC brings next week
Score flattered 1st grade as it was the CC second half that stood out Against a woeful knights team.... pretty much mirrors last year CC for me. We do have a good CC squad...again. Not sure Head can take them to the next level But still 1 level ahead of Mary

Old Timer

Coach

Our spirits and stocks are so low that Williame is being talked about as a good signing and his form against a very pedestrian outfit seen as crucial
FMD we have really become so desperate for any semblance of good news.

Latest posts