What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where Will Penrith Finish in 2020?

Where Will Penrith Finish in 2020?

• 1-4

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • 5-8

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • 9-12

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • 13-16

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep we basically swapped Jimmy for api and Egan for Luai or Burton, rcg for Tetevano and capewell. We look a lot fitter. I don’t understand how we will go backwards as some are claiming. We’ve had a very good offseason compared to last years shit fight.

The hook days showed that being fit and a good attitude will win you enough games to play finals. The rest will come as guys develop further

mxlegend99

Referee
I love how x is worth a few wins. What about y being worth a few losses?

In our string of form last year we won some tight games against depleted sides. We all start on zero wins this year and cant take for granted we are automatically worth more wins. We might not get someof those lucky wins this year. We might get more. We don't know.

Heading into this year we will be looking at a new fullback for a couple of months.
We will be sweating on a new 6 kicking on and partnering Nathan.
We will be with a new hooker, although the bar set last year is pretty low.

Things looked pretty good last season after beating Souths in a trial too. We started the season of with 2 from 4 and then it fell away from us. We shouldnt have a run that bad again. But we probably wont have a run as blessed as we did last year.

Finals isnt out of the question. But there's certainly no reason to think it's a certainty.

betcats

Referee

In our string of form last year we won some tight games against depleted sides. We all start on zero wins this year and cant take for granted we are automatically worth more wins. We might not get someof those lucky wins this year. We might get more. We don't know.

Heading into this year we will be looking at a new fullback for a couple of months.

Things looked pretty good last season after beating Souths in a trial too. We started the season of with 2 from 4 and then it fell away from us. We shouldnt have a run that bad again. But we probably wont have a run as blessed as we did last year.

Finals isnt out of the question. But there's certainly no reason to think it's a certainty.

There is a lot more to suggest we will improve than go backwards. New fullback? Well if he is worse than Edwards was for the first two months last season then I will eat my hat. Improvement isn't guaranteed that is for sure, but everything so far suggest we are working hard and have less distractions, this alone will go a long way improvement.

franklin2323

Immortal

Edwards was our worst player for atleast half the season... So not hard to improve on that

You were one that said Maloney phoned it in last year. Certainly defensively better off no matter which of the 3 are picked

Kikau was hurt in the trial last year. So starting round 1 with him fully fit is a bonus. A pre season for those rookies last year is a bonus.

The prep between last year and this year are a million miles apart

OldPanther

Coach

Yes there's a lot of speculation though Edwards was the worst fullback in the comp for a period last year so I doubt anyone including himself is that bad again. Unless something goes terribly wrong I can't see us being worse than that 6 - 10 with F/A deciding a few spots.

Fangs

Coach
We will need to win a lot of close games as I don't see us blowing any teams off the park. Maybe a few slackers like the Knights of 2019 once their season ended.

Who has the stats on our games won/lost by 6 point or less?

betcats

Referee

Just assume all of them except the sharks and knights wins. I honestly don't think we were comfortably winning any games before the sharks win.

Edit: Just had a quick look, there is actually a few more wins over 6 points than I thought. There are plenty of losses that were 6 points or less also.

franklin2323

Immortal
We will need to win a lot of close games as I don't see us blowing any teams off the park. Maybe a few slackers like the Knights of 2019 once their season ended.

We won won 7 and lost 3 by 6 points or less

but 13 games had a less than 10 point margin.

won 8. Lost 5

MugaB

Coach
Undefeated Premiers...

I may have missed my meds this morning...
I'll say top 4 if we work out our backline, and no key injuries (api or cleary) but otherwise we have a pretty solid squad and good depth pushing to take over if form fails the top 17, which there isn't much at other clubs regarding that, besides the Cowboys, and maybe Sharks. So if we are really getting our shitt together ......top 4

Fangs

Coach
We won won 7 and lost 3 by 6 points or less

but 13 games had a less than 10 point margin.

won 8. Lost 5

Delve a bit deeper and its 5 from 7 won by 4 points or less. So you could say Penrith were winning most of their close matches in 2019. I dare say it was the same for 2018 as well.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2019/penrith/summary.html

Maloney with 4 field goals to Cleary's 1 in 2019. I'm not saying Cleary can't kick a field goal. However you need to get in position to do it first of all. Some common sense and game management needed there. And second we now only have one recognised exponent, last year we had two which made it tougher for the opposition to charge down. And thinking back before that we always had two with Moylan. The 2014 combo of Moylan/Soward was excellent for that as well.

Very fortunate to have two of the best goal kickers in the game last year (If not the best two). Both kicking around 87% I believe. It would be fortunate if Cleary misses out on Origin selection so we can capatilise on weaker teams during the rep season. Our best period of form during 2019 was the rep season.

mxlegend99

Referee
Edwards was our worst player for atleast half the season... So not hard to improve on that

You were one that said Maloney phoned it in last year. Certainly defensively better off no matter which of the 3 are picked

Kikau was hurt in the trial last year. So starting round 1 with him fully fit is a bonus. A pre season for those rookies last year is a bonus.

The prep between last year and this year are a million miles apart
Every year under Hook we thought we should improve with experience and signings and better pre-seasons etc.

We always finished in a similar area of the table. Signing Jimmy for Moylan etc. ultimately changed nothing... except Moylan eliminated us from the finals.

Improvement is possible. But nothing is guaranteed. We start from scratch and need to fight for every victory again in 2020. We could easily have made the finals in 2019 with some luck or missed by a lit more with bad luck. Based on our ref calls so far this year. I dont expect much help from the officials.

franklin2323

Immortal
Every year under Hook we thought we should improve with experience and signings and better pre-seasons etc.

We always finished in a similar area of the table. Signing Jimmy for Moylan etc. ultimately changed nothing... except Moylan eliminated us from the finals.

Improvement is possible. But nothing is guaranteed. We start from scratch and need to fight for every victory again in 2020. We could easily have made the finals in 2019 with some luck or missed by a lit more with bad luck. Based on our ref calls so far this year. I dont expect much help from the officials.

The issue with under hook was player contracts. Players getting long deals and clocking out or not deserved. Not so this year with 12 off contract

Edwards out is a bad blow. There’s about 1 or two games lost there. He’s a gun.

Origin won’t bother you too much.

No James.

I’d say 10th. Could sneak into the finals on a prayer.

betcats

Referee
Edwards out is a bad blow. There’s about 1 or two games lost there. He’s a gun.

Origin won’t bother you too much.

No James.

I’d say 10th. Could sneak into the finals on a prayer.

I saw Douehi on the team list on Saturday but did he actually play? Big fullback signing was pretty much invisible out there.

I think the panther roster is based on strong youth committed to pulverising opponents.

There’s a lot of energy about it

You don’t have a lot of individual star talent, so the side will need to work closely in defence but I’d say a lot of your points will gather in the second half after you’ve belted the tripe out of opponents.

Later on in the season your attack should improve markedly.