What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

If you like claustrophobic horror like Alien and Cube, you should check out the Thing. It was my number 1. Kurt Russell in great form and one of the best endings. Before its time and has aged well much like Bladerunner.

I watched The Thing with my missus last night after getting back from a trip away.

Only problem was I watched the 2011 version. Netflix etc.. Wanna see the original ..

Movies which I watch constantly

John Carpenters The Thing
ALIEN
Stalingrad (the German one)

Special mention to Southern Comfort on Amazon Prime

If you like Stalingrad, if you haven't already check out Enemy at the Gates (as San Souci Sainter suggested up thread). It was made in 2001. Has a top notch cast in Jude Law, Ralph Fiennes, Rachel Weisz, Bob Hoskins, Ed Harris and Ron Perlman. Whilst some of it is fictionalised, it is based on the non-fiction book Enemy at the Gates: The Battle of Stalingrad written by William Craig (and published in 1973). It is a gripping movie and as a bonus has a great score by the late James Horner.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I watched The Thing with my missus last night after getting back from a trip away.

Only problem was I watched the 2011 version. Netflix etc.. Wanna see the original ..

yes the 1982 one its on Netflix apparently.

I don't know if I've actually watched the 2011 remake fully. How'd you find it? apparently its a prequelbut I think itas a very similar story. I liked the dental fillings idea .

yes the 1982 one its on Netflix apparently.

I don't know if I've actually watched the 2011 remake fully. How'd you find it? apparently its a prequelbut I think itas a very similar story. I liked the dental fillings idea .

It was ok enough. Good storyline although it really was missing something, can’t put my finger on it. Yes indeed it’s geared toward having a follow-up prequel/sequel.

will get onto the original when I can.

Parra

Referee
An awesome little movie I keep coming back to.

The budget on it must've been negligible.

Could be 30 years since I've seen it. One of those movies that you hire based on the cover of the video box and nothing else. It was a gritty movie, although I can't recall the details except one local advising "my friends are not nice like me"

I'm going to have to track this down. Amazon prime might be the way to go based on your post.

nöyd

Staff member
It was ok enough. Good storyline although it really was missing something, can’t put my finger on it. Yes indeed it’s geared toward having a follow-up prequel/sequel.

the 1982 version scared the shit outta me when i first seen it on betamax lol

kurt russell was badass in the 80's, what with MacReady and Snake Plissken, Jack Burton, even Tango & fkn Cash lol

Mr Spock!

Referee

The original is a classic and the special effects were ahead of its time.

The 2011 prequel is nowhere near as good nor claustrophobic as the original.

Interesting they went with a girl as the main character who seemed to just vanish as the classic version is all about men trying to survive.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Could be 30 years since I've seen it. One of those movies that you hire based on the cover of the video box and nothing else. It was a gritty movie, although I can't recall the details except one local advising "my friends are not nice like me"

I'm going to have to track this down. Amazon prime might be the way to go based on your post.
Yep. I tend to be watching more Amazon Prime than Netflix or Stan at the moment.

A really good story without bs meandering love interests about a bunch of blokes thrown together in the national guard and antagonising the locals who hunt them down through the swamps.

Mr Spock!

Referee
If you like Stalingrad, if you haven't already check out Enemy at the Gates (as San Souci Sainter suggested up thread). It was made in 2001. Has a top notch cast in Jude Law, Ralph Fiennes, Rachel Weisz, Bob Hoskins, Ed Harris and Ron Perlman. Whilst some of it is fictionalised, it is based on the non-fiction book Enemy at the Gates: The Battle of Stalingrad written by William Craig (and published in 1973). It is a gripping movie and as a bonus has a great score by the late James Horner.
Yeah I've seen Enemy At the Gates.

It was ok and good to see some recognition of the Soviets in ww2 which I don't think I've seen at all apart from James Coburn as a German killing Soviets in the Iron Cross.

Can't beat movies made by the Soviets themselves like Fortress of War. That movie shows the tragedy of the Soviets in the face of the German invasion.

Mr Spock!

Referee

The 1982 version actually starts at the end of the 2011 version where they're hunting the dog.

You will see many of the scenes (and dead) from the Norwegian camp (2011) in the classic movie as the American Antarctic researchers try to work out wtf happened to them.

We can only assume the girl died in the ice somewhere because there's no sign of her.

The 1982 version actually starts at the end of the 2011 version where they're hunting the dog.

You will see many of the scenes (and dead) from the Norwegian camp (2011) in the classic movie as the American Antarctic researchers try to work out wtf happened to them.

We can only assume the girl died in the ice somewhere because there's no sign of her.
Ah right, cheers.

Misanthrope

Staff member

LU's Favourite Movie: #30 - #26

854497430a348b4e240433d7297105fb.jpg
#30 - The Departed (2006) - 264 points

Director: Martin Scorsese.
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, and Vera Farmiga.
Awards: Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Film Editing.

Based on the Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs, Scorsese's version changes the setting and the ending, but still puts together a taut, well-acted crime film about an FBI agent posing as a member of the mafia and a member of the mafia posing as an FBI agent. It's a thrilling game of cat and mouse in the same vein as the classic, Heat, and features terrific performances from DiCaprio, Damon, Wahlberg, and Nicholson.

While I'm still of the opinion the original film had the better ending, The Departed is rightly remembered as one of the best films of the 2000's.

7106uLYY2LL._AC_SY606_.jpg

#29 - Inception (2010) - 276 points

Director: Christopher Nolan.
Starring: Leonard DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Michael Caine, Marion Cotillard, Ken Watanabe, Dileep Rao, Cillian Murphy, and Pete Postlethwaite.
Awards: Best Cinematography, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects.

Christopher Nolan's second entry in our countdown, 2010's Inception was a visually resplendent mind-f**k of a film that had people debating its plausibility and quality long after it left theatres. Written and directed by Nolan, the film's surreal visuals and unique action scenes made it what critics considered "a rare summer blockbuster that was both thrilling and intelligent".

51wuyFMgdAL._AC_.jpg

#28 - Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - 280 points

Director: Terry Jones.
Starring: John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, and Carol Cleveland.
Awards: N/A.

Monty Python's take on the Biblical story of Jesus Christ was met with waves of controversy at the time of its release but is today seen as one of the most beloved comedies of all time. Following the titular Brian, born in the manger next to Jesus, it is full of quotable moments and the signature Python love of surrealism.

Regularly topping lists of the Greatest Comedies of All Time, Life of Brian is Monty Python at the irreverent best.

71H0Ynb-vzL._AC_SY679_.jpg

#27 - Blade Runner (1982) - 285 points

Director: Ridley Scott
Starring: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Daryl Hannah, and M. Emmet Walsh.
Awards: N/A

Based on Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is today seen as one of the most influential science fiction movies of all time. With its instantly recognizable Vangelis soundtrack, its film noir aesthetic, and its grim dystopian setting, it is a feast for the senses.

Featuring a career-best performance from Rutger Hauer (if that "tears in rain" monologue doesn't give you chills, you're dead inside) and a wonderfully well-realized setting, it has since spawned a well-received sequel and inspired countless other similarly multi-cultural and grim visions of the future.

81SVDO6WcrL._AC_SY679_.jpg

#26 - Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 296 points

Director: Jonathan Demme
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Scott Glenn, Anthony Heald, and Ted Levine.
Awards: Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actor (Hopkins), Best Actress (Foster), and Best Adapted Screenplay.

One of only three films to ever win the 'Big Five' at the Academy Awards, the grisly adaptation of the Thomas Harris novel of the same name.

Anthony Hopkins chews the scenery as the hyper-intelligent cannibal, Hannibal Lecter, while Jodie Foster's earnest performance of a young FBI agent tasked with catching a vicious killer with Lecter's aid immediately captured the hearts and minds of theatre-goers around the world.

The film has since spawned a well-liked prequel (Red Dragon), an awful sequel (Hannibal), and a criminally underrated prequel TV series (also called Hannibal).

All great films in that list and favourites, with the glaring exception of one for me.

Everyone I’m sure has at least one film that is hugely popular with the wider public that for whatever reason you just don’t like. One of mine is Bladerunner. My mates would howl me down about it all the time. But I can appreciate why it’s a favourite and so popular with many folk.

Inception was in my 30. Absolutely brilliant film, I always love watching something unique, surreal and where I have no idea where the plot will go. Inception is one of those.

Wizardman

First Grade
LU's Favourite Movie: #30 - #26

854497430a348b4e240433d7297105fb.jpg
#30 - The Departed (2006) - 264 points

Director: Martin Scorsese.
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, and Vera Farmiga.
Awards: Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Film Editing.

Based on the Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs, Scorsese's version changes the setting and the ending, but still puts together a taut, well-acted crime film about an FBI agent posing as a member of the mafia and a member of the mafia posing as an FBI agent. It's a thrilling game of cat and mouse in the same vein as the classic, Heat, and features terrific performances from DiCaprio, Damon, Wahlberg, and Nicholson.

While I'm still of the opinion the original film had the better ending, The Departed is rightly remembered as one of the best films of the 2000's.

7106uLYY2LL._AC_SY606_.jpg

#29 - Inception (2010) - 276 points

Director: Christopher Nolan.
Starring: Leonard DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Michael Caine, Marion Cotillard, Ken Watanabe, Dileep Rao, Cillian Murphy, and Pete Postlethwaite.
Awards: Best Cinematography, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects.

Christopher Nolan's second entry in our countdown, 2010's Inception was a visually resplendent mind-f**k of a film that had people debating its plausibility and quality long after it left theatres. Written and directed by Nolan, the film's surreal visuals and unique action scenes made it what critics considered "a rare summer blockbuster that was both thrilling and intelligent".

51wuyFMgdAL._AC_.jpg

#28 - Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - 280 points

Director: Terry Jones.
Starring: John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, and Carol Cleveland.
Awards: N/A.

Monty Python's take on the Biblical story of Jesus Christ was met with waves of controversy at the time of its release but is today seen as one of the most beloved comedies of all time. Following the titular Brian, born in the manger next to Jesus, it is full of quotable moments and the signature Python love of surrealism.

Regularly topping lists of the Greatest Comedies of All Time, Life of Brian is Monty Python at the irreverent best.

71H0Ynb-vzL._AC_SY679_.jpg

#27 - Blade Runner (1982) - 285 points

Director: Ridley Scott
Starring: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Daryl Hannah, and M. Emmet Walsh.
Awards: N/A

Based on Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is today seen as one of the most influential science fiction movies of all time. With its instantly recognizable Vangelis soundtrack, its film noir aesthetic, and its grim dystopian setting, it is a feast for the senses.

Featuring a career-best performance from Rutger Hauer (if that "tears in rain" monologue doesn't give you chills, you're dead inside) and a wonderfully well-realized setting, it has since spawned a well-received sequel and inspired countless other similarly multi-cultural and grim visions of the future.

81SVDO6WcrL._AC_SY679_.jpg

#26 - Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 296 points

Director: Jonathan Demme
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Scott Glenn, Anthony Heald, and Ted Levine.
Awards: Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actor (Hopkins), Best Actress (Foster), and Best Adapted Screenplay.

One of only three films to ever win the 'Big Five' at the Academy Awards, the grisly adaptation of the Thomas Harris novel of the same name.

Anthony Hopkins chews the scenery as the hyper-intelligent cannibal, Hannibal Lecter, while Jodie Foster's earnest performance of a young FBI agent tasked with catching a vicious killer with Lecter's aid immediately captured the hearts and minds of theatre-goers around the world.

The film has since spawned a well-liked prequel (Red Dragon), an awful sequel (Hannibal), and a criminally underrated prequel TV series (also called Hannibal).

Departed: Still haven't seen it. It is on my movie shelf yet still not given it a go.

Inception: I have no real interest in seeing it. Another movie on my shelf that I have not viewed.

Life of Brian: Only saw it in full about three years ago....very funny.

Blade Runner: I gave it a go many years ago and turned it off fairly quickly. I have to give it another chance.

Silence of the Lambs: This movie had an unbelievable amount of hype...and it actually delivered on the hype. Everything about this movie was outstanding. What few talk about was the underrated performance of Ted Levine as Buffalo Bill......very good character actor.

Latest posts