What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With Holden gone, what will become of the V8 Supercars...

Dodgy

Juniors
Loved this car. Although its probably because my old man bought one at the time. Got us into a few corporate tents.. I really liked the wagons (estates) that raced in the UK.

I think they'll end up reverting to something like the old Super Tourers series. But depends on which companies would want to race.

Poster-776.jpg
Are you not aware of TCR Australia?

blue bags

First Grade
Loved this car. Although its probably because my old man bought one at the time. Got us into a few corporate tents.. I really liked the wagons (estates) that raced in the UK.

I think they'll end up reverting to something like the old Super Tourers series. But depends on which companies would want to race.

Poster-776.jpg
i have an s60 . i will get a wagon aswell , uk racers s60 wagons love them , pick up the shopping in 1 lol

YoHadrian

Juniors
Lost interest years ago when it became just Holden & Ford V8's.

Thanks for that TCR link, had no idea such a thing existed. Looks interesting.

Xcalibre

Juniors
While watching some of the Adelaide supercars support racing, I saw the Trans Am series for the first time. American muscle cars including Dodge, Camaro, mustang etc.

From the website, “On the other side of the world, Australian Trans-Am was established to celebrate that great period of Trans-Am racing. Australian Trans-Am is open to 2-door, 4-seat, rear wheel drive, V8 powered American production vehicles built from 1963 to 1974.”

All cars are powered by the LS1 or 2 (can’t remember) but they’re all LS.

With that and the aus classic and GT series, who needs anything else? I suppose the v8 supercars were popular because they drive “affordable “ current models that punters could more likely own?

Dodgy

Juniors
Lost interest years ago when it became just Holden & Ford V8's.

Thanks for that TCR link, had no idea such a thing existed. Looks interesting.
Are you talking about my post?

Did you really not know about the series?

Are you not aware of TCR Australia?

i had to look it up, did ring a bell but in all honesty I didn’t know when you quoted it. Some English mates of mine mentioned it a while ago, didn’t they have a similar series in the UK but it went bust?

I used to love the days as a kid when they showed all the different classes of racing. Eg appendix J, sports saloons, 2L, formula V etc etc... id start following racing more closely again if they went back to something similar. But doubt it.

Parra

Referee
i had to look it up, did ring a bell but in all honesty I didn’t know when you quoted it. Some English mates of mine mentioned it a while ago, didn’t they have a similar series in the UK but it went bust?

I used to love the days as a kid when they showed all the different classes of racing. Eg appendix J, sports saloons, 2L, formula V etc etc... id start following racing more closely again if they went back to something similar. But doubt it.

You can still catch these classes on speedweek. Sbs also covers tcr and others. There's a regular show on foxsports as well.

Parra

Referee
Seems to me supercars needs to pivot fast. Incentives for other manufacturers? One make series? Moving away from v8's would be a mistake in my opinion. Would lose their uniqueness and loyal market.

You can still catch these classes on speedweek. Sbs also covers tcr and others. There's a regular show on foxsports as well.

Cheers Parra. I got rid of Foxtel after moving interstate last year. Are these on Kayo do you know? thinking of getting Kayo instead for the footy season..

Parra

Referee
Channel 7 have a deal to bring some tcr rounds and other stuff live fta as well. So keep your eye out there.

some11

Referee
Seems to me supercars needs to pivot fast. Incentives for other manufacturers? One make series? Moving away from v8's would be a mistake in my opinion. Would lose their uniqueness and loyal market.
They already dropped the 'V8' from the name. F1 moved to V6 turbo.

I don't really think it's that big a deal if the racing is high quality, there will be furore but nothing lasts forever.

20 years from now racing series will be electric, combustion will be a classics category.

_snafu_

Immortal
I don’t think a 2L shitbox touring car championship would be as popular in Oz as it is in the UK.

Parra

Referee

I don't really think it's that big a deal if the racing is high quality, there will be furore but nothing lasts forever.

20 years from now racing series will be electric, combustion will be a classics category.

If they lose the point of difference it is all over. There are heaps of series where hatch backs race on tight tracks. No-one cares. They need rules like joker laps or "fan boost" in the mickey mouse series. It just won't work here.

The attempt to move to V6 turbo was a failure up there with the ridiculous ute racing of the last year or so.

Dodgy

Juniors
The problem with Aus motorsport is that even the aus motorsport has the dumb shit attitude snafu expresses.

Referring to 2 litre cars as "shitbox" or any other diminishing word.

2 litre cars are just...cars. The motoring industry has progressed, and 2 litres is now a big motor, the equivalent of a 3 litre V6 25-30 years ago.

If snafu and aus motorsport were paying attention, they'd see the popularity of 2 litre cars and adjust their attitude accordingly.

"Supercars" can do what ever it like, and it's going to have to survive on its own decisions. But it also holds the status of the ATCC. "Touring cars" by virtue of its name is meant to be a reflection of the motoring industry. If it meant to transitioning to 2 litre cars, then so be it.

A problem with this country is that it think Ford v Holden is what aus motorsport is all about. It isn't, it was just a part of it. But supercars has hijacked the ATCC and Bathurst to be nothing other than that.

2 litre cars has been popular in Australia for years, but people have just accepted the old rivalry and supercars bs.

Now the supercars business can go **** itself.

Lebbo73

Bench
F1 is pretty much all marketed around the drivers and innovation (mainly exploiting loopholes in the regs).

I really don't give a shit who drives what. I don't think you can base a domestic racing series around that anymore.

"win on sunday, sell on monday" is the most boomer thing ever and hasn't been relevant for over 20 years.
The “win on Sunday, sell on Monday” ended for Ford about five years ago.

Lebbo73

Bench

20 minute pit stops to recharge the batteries. Or maybe a battery change instead.