What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
That could work. Last night Friz was on the left hand side of the field, while Tariq was on the right hand side. Tariq could do the job that you suggested Tyson do. We would certainly have a lot more attack with Williame and Sailor as our centres. I still want to see Ramsey given a shot as one of our wingers. With the addition of Ramsey, Sailor and Williame, our attack would look much stronger and dynamic, than last year. Lomax looks very safe at fullback. He looks to have a better passing game than Dufty. He also will provide stronger kick returns and looked very comfortable under the high ball. He will also provide us with stronger defence than Dufty. Lomax may surprise a few on this site at fullback this year.

I really want to see Rava given a shot a centre. I think he could be a success there. I would also be instructing him to watch as much footy as he can to improve his understanding of the game and his footy IQ. As The Flamigo suggested on JA, Rava is a rough diamond.
If Rava does kick on and become our Sivo or Semi then Mary has to be given a lot of credit. He give him an extended run on the wing last season to learn his trade. He stuck with him and put a lot of work in to polish the rough diamond. Everyone will say it was Flanno but cmon half an off season isn’t going to transform a player in several weeks. I know I’m going to get shot for this post but it would be one of his few achievements.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Rava does kick on and become our Sivo or Semi then Mary has to be given a lot of credit. He give him an extended run on the wing last season to learn his trade. He stuck with him and put a lot of work in to polish the rough diamond. Everyone will say it was Flanno but cmon half an off season isn’t going to transform a player in several weeks. I know I’m going to get shot for this post but it would be one of his few achievements.
I can see what you are saying, but like many others on this site, I think Rava may be a better centre than winger and also better than Aitken and Lafai. Mary had ample opportunity to give Rava a run at centre last year and he also could have on last Saturday and the Charity Shield this week. Mary lacks the vision to see that Rava could be a better centre than winger. He is also loyal to a fault in selecting Aitken and Lafai and no even giving any one else a chance to stake their claim for either's centre position.

Mary should have also got into his ear and told him to watch as much NRL as he can, to improve his understanding and knowledge of the game and how it is refereed. Mary should actually be sitting down watching games with him one on one and pointing out little things to him.

I will also add that Mary didn't have many other options for wing last year. Myself and many others on this site were calling for him to be selected as one of our wingers before we had even seen him. Many of us were just calling him the Fijian, as we didn't know his name or didn't know how to spell it.

I think Rava's natural ability has taken him this far, but deserves credit for being able to turn up to Australia, from Fiji, with only a pair of footy boots and be playing NRL. I think it is a classic story. They could probably even make a movie about it.

Unless Mary has personally helped develop Rava's game, I don't think he deserves much credit for Rava's success.

Do you think Arthur deserves more credit for Sivo, since he was even a bigger success story of 2019 than Rava? I also think Sivo's natural ability took him a long way, but Arthur did give him the shot last year and he took it with both hands.

kit66

Bench
As a centre myself I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before lining up against Sailor. I'd be way too excited.

In the Newc trial Sailor got steamrolled by a reserve grade winger, sat him on his bum. Later he did a great impersonation of a turnstile, missing a tackle that led to Newcs second try, didn't even look like stopping the guy.
The kid has talent but I'd keep him in CC to develop and as back up, no point squeezing him in just for the sake of it to become a 5 minute player off Mary's bench. We'll need that bench spot for a spare hooker for the time being anyway.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I can see what you are saying, but like many others on this site, I think Rava may be a better centre than winger and also better than Aitken and Lafai. Mary had ample opportunity to give Rava a run at centre last year and he also could have on last Saturday and the Charity Shield this week. Mary lacks the vision to see that Rava could be a better centre than winger. He is also loyal to a fault in selecting Aitken and Lafai and no even giving any one else a chance to stake their claim for either's centre position.

Mary should have also got into his ear and told him to watch as much NRL as he can, to improve his understanding and knowledge of the game and how it is refereed. Mary should actually be sitting down watching games with him one on one and pointing out little things to him.

I will also add that Mary didn't have many other options for wing last year. Myself and many others on this site were calling for him to be selected as one of our wingers before we had even seen him. Many of us were just calling him the Fijian, as we didn't know his name or didn't know how to spell it.

I think Rava's natural ability has taken him this far, but deserves credit for being able to turn up to Australia, from Fiji, with only a pair of footy boots and be playing NRL. I think it is a classic story. They could probably even make a movie about it.

Unless Mary has personally helped develop Rava's game, I don't think he deserves much credit for Rava's success.

Do you think Arthur deserves more credit for Sivo, since he was even a bigger success story of 2019 than Rava? I also think Sivo's natural ability took him a long way, but Arthur did give him the shot last year and he took it with both hands.
I just remember Boyd at fullback for us. His first year I and many others thought he was rubbish and everyone was calling for his head and for BMoz to play 1, and on the few occasions he played 1 he did play better. A year goes by and he wins the CC. Of course it’s his natural talent but he could easily have been tossed on the scrap heap by now but could end up being not too bad. He’s certainly gained a yard of pace and put on some size. All the players seem to have. I agree he should be given a shot at centre with Saab outside him. If we pick Pereira and Rava we have two nuggets but they will be targeted in the air and don’t provide a target for us. People might rubbish the suggestion of Rava at centre but that’s until they ask the question Rava or Aitken?

SnowDragon

Juniors
I just remember Boyd at fullback for us. His first year I and many others thought he was rubbish and everyone was calling for his head and for BMoz to play 1, and on the few occasions he played 1 he did play better. A year goes by and he wins the CC. Of course it’s his natural talent but he could easily have been tossed on the scrap heap by now but could end up being not too bad. He’s certainly gained a yard of pace and put on some size. All the players seem to have. I agree he should be given a shot at centre with Saab outside him. If we pick Pereira and Rava we have two nuggets but they will be targeted in the air and don’t provide a target for us. People might rubbish the suggestion of Rava at centre but that’s until they ask the question Rava or Aitken?

I like this post. I’ve posted already that I am unsure on wingers, that Saab has the most upside, but that Rava and JP are the safer options and that Saab may need time. The post discusses this with some added explanation.

my problem with Rava in the centres is that it’s a big experiment. If this was to happen, the training should have started late last year when we already were out of contention. I’m more likely to suggest he plays centre in CC and sees how he goes first.

SnowDragon

Juniors
In the Newc trial Sailor got steamrolled by a reserve grade winger, sat him on his bum. Later he did a great impersonation of a turnstile, missing a tackle that led to Newcs second try, didn't even look like stopping the guy.
The kid has talent but I'd keep him in CC to develop and as back up, no point squeezing him in just for the sake of it to become a 5 minute player off Mary's bench. We'll need that bench spot for a spare hooker for the time being anyway.

You make sense, but we need to give him enough chance to make a decision on his future. If we don’t, we will loose him to another club.

that said, I wouldn’t try him on the bench, 4 forwards are needed to keep the forwards from a mid season burnout, and with Ford and Tyrell we have mobile utilities that can play centre etc when needed.

kit66

Bench
You make sense, but we need to give him enough chance to make a decision on his future. If we don’t, we will loose him to another club.

that said, I wouldn’t try him on the bench, 4 forwards are needed to keep the forwards from a mid season burnout, and with Ford and Tyrell we have mobile utilities that can play centre etc when needed.

My sentiments exactly, 4 forwards on the bench and a useful rotation resting our starters when they're obviously fatigued not when Mary thinks they've done enough minutes.
But, Sailor in the centres would be a disaster. If I'm picking the team for round 1 I don't have room for Sailor.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
My sentiments exactly, 4 forwards on the bench and a useful rotation resting our starters when they're obviously fatigued not when Mary thinks they've done enough minutes.
But, Sailor in the centres would be a disaster. If I'm picking the team for round 1 I don't have room for Sailor.

Dufty, Field, Aitken and now Sailor- what is it about SGI backs and their inability to defend?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dufty, Field, Aitken and now Sailor- what is it about SGI backs and their inability to defend?
images

Ads

First Grade
Flannos success came with Barba at the back. Reckon he would be wanting a ball player at the back. Would also be good for my fantasy team. Chances?

watatank

Coach
Flannos success came with Barba at the back. Reckon he would be wanting a ball player at the back. Would also be good for my fantasy team. Chances?

He's probably backup for lomax at fullback but even then there's still Dufty when he is available. Seems unlikely he will be a first grade regular

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor turns to rookie to help save St George Illawarra season
Dragons Den
r0_410_4728_3079_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Attacking threat: Tristan Sailor. Picture: NRL Imagery.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has turned to the son of an NRL legend to help keep his side's season alive.

Tristan Sailor has been named on the bench for Thursday night's crucial clash with South Sydney, with injuries forcing McGregor into a reshuffle.

Adam Clune and Trent Merrin are unavailable due to concussions, with Ben Hunt returning to halfback, Cameron McInnes named at hooker and Jackson Ford at lock.

The Dragons welcome back Tariq Sims and Jordan Pereira from suspension, with Tyrell Fuimaono shifting to the bench and Jason Saab dropping out of the 17.

Sailor impressed in three games last season and many fans have been clamouring for the son of former dual international Wendell Sailor to receive an opportunity in a challenging year for the Dragons.

That shot will come this weekend and McInnes is confident the exciting prospect will take it with both hands.

"I think last year he showed when he played a few games the occasion doesn't overawe him," McInnes said.

"I thought he played really well on debut against the Roosters and after that as well. The thing about Tristan is he's a very confident kid and very versatile, and quite an exciting attacking player.

"If he gets the opportunity, he'll be really excited to go and pretty threatening out there."

The Dragons reshuffle will see McInnes return to his usual hooker position.

The skipper dispelled earlier reports he is frustrated about the mid-season shift to lock, instead revealing he has enjoyed the move.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I played a fair bit there as a kid, so it's been good to be able to play there lately, especially with Hunty at hooker.

"It's good I can play both. If the team needs me to play hooker, I'll do that.

"Before, I viewed myself as a hooker who could play lock, whereas now I don't really have a preference for either, I really enjoy both."

The Rabbitohs will be bolstered by the return of Latrell Mitchell, the fullback having served a two-game suspension. Liam Knight and Patrick Mago have also been named on the bench.

Thursday's match is shaping as season defining for St George Illawarra, with the side desperate to remain in touch with the top eight.

The Rabbitohs are one of a group of five fighting for two spots, Wayne Bennett's team currently sitting 10th on 10 points. The Dragons are two points back in 11th.

A loss could leave the side six points outside the eight with eight games to play and matches against five of the top six teams still to come.

St George Illawarra have been improving each week, however McInnes said his squad must start to play for the full 80 minutes in order to start winning consistently.

"There's still periods of the games whether it's errors or penalties, or last week I think the Sharks were just more physical for about 20 minutes and took the game over. That's our next step, working on those little periods there.

"We played well in patches, but if you're going to play that way and have 15-20 minutes where you let the other side dominate, you're going to find yourself in games like that.

"You might win one week, but you might lose the next. We need to fix that because you can't just leave it up to chance at the end of the game.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...okie-to-help-save-st-george-illawarra-season/

Dragon David

First Grade
StGeorge Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has turned to the son of an NRL legend to help keep his side's season alive.
HAHAHA 5 min of the bench.
That would be right and if so, it would be ridiculous if Sailor only plays for a few minutes. Mary has high hopes of the Dragons making inroads into the competition. He might like this to happen but I think it is way too late at this juncture of the comp. He should give Sailor as much time on the field and off the bench for this game and have him in the 17 man squad for several more weeks with other young ones like Sullivan, Ramsey, the twins etc playing on a rotation basis.

possm

Coach
That would be right and if so, it would be ridiculous if Sailor only plays for a few minutes. Mary has high hopes of the Dragons making inroads into the competition. He might like this to happen but I think it is way too late at this juncture of the comp. He should give Sailor as much time on the field and off the bench for this game and have him in the 17 man squad for several more weeks with other young ones like Sullivan, Ramsey, the twins etc playing on a rotation basis.
It would be a waste of time if indeed Sailor is not staying for season 2021.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
I’ve been looking forward to Tristan, as someone pointed out, it’s been nearly a year since he played in the top grade , maturing and all. I thought he looked good with ball in hand, and would dearly enjoy seeing him in number six if...If he performs. If he pushes out Corey Norman, Most fans would celebrate.
The other player I look forward to is ford starting at lock. Really rate this bloke.
In the end I don’t think we will get the rabbits on Thursday

Latest posts